Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2006, 06:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

burbank , California
'62 Bambi - window operator not attached

Hello,

On my 62 Bambi the window operators are not attached to the window frames anymore. This means they can push the windows up, but the windows are not held close, so they flap while driving .

It looks like there was some plastic piece with a little spring inside attaching the lever to the groove inside the window frame. Can I get just the little plastic pieces somewhere, or do I need to replace the whole window operator?

I found the operator at inladrv:

http://www.inlandrv.com/parts/91587-winopr65ndown.jpg

But it would be great if there was a way to fix whatever's already there.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks,
Kamo
kamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Julian , North Carolina
I don't think you need a new operator. Look at the top of the window frame there should be a slot machined in the very top of each side where the little plastic thingy (excuse me for not knowing what it's called). If you take the two screws out that hold the crank and slide the arm back you will gain enough clearance to have the arm move to the top where the slot is located. Now all you have to do is find some dowel rod (plastic or whatever is handy) and make the piece that glide up and down the window frame. I'm new to this but my 63 Overlander has the same issues with a couple of windows. It worked for me.
Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hello again,

I am not sure what part you are referring to about your window... but my husband made new "bushings" from nylon pieces... if it is the slider part you need.... here is his thread with pics. Hope it helps. Good luck.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...-17925-29.html

There are two parts to the windows in our Bambi. On the left side is a lever with a hook that keeps the window locked and closed during transit, and on the right side is a window crank that opens/closes the window. Do you have both parts?

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

burbank , California
Thanks you for pointing me to this thread.

I will try the same fix and report back how it went!
kamo is offline   Reply With Quote