Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
'67 Windows

I just picked up a 67 Tradewind. 2 window panes are missing, but the good news is the hardware is there. I just took a closer look and all the windows in the coach are Plexiglass. Replacing the missing windows with plastic seems like at least a good short term storage solution, but I think Lexan would be better. BUT, would Lexan also be a good long term solution? I know glass replacement is available and costs a bit new. I have not begun to search for used.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Before VTS came out with the replacement windows I read a few post on people using lexan as a good long term replacement. If I remember correctly there was some experimenting with heating the Lexan and putting the slight bend in it that the Corning windows have. I'll try to find it.

VTS is out of stock and I think Inland RV is only one that sells them now.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
Before VTS came out with the replacement windows I read a few post on people using lexan as a good long term replacement. If I remember correctly there was some experimenting with heating the Lexan and putting the slight bend in it that the Corning windows have. I'll try to find it.
Oh man, you find that and you will be my hero!

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, those lexans that we used to have were a bit weak (maybe too thin?) and would bow outwards at times, letting the outside in. I'm glad that we went with glass to replace. BTW, Inland Andy has the glass for a comparatively decent price, and they include both glue and new seals.

Lynn
Old 11-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Found it. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...s-12485-2.html. Start at post #24. Thanks Rich (rluhr), For thinking outside the box.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 11-27-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Glass vs. Plexi vs. Lexan

And Inlands window glass is being made by Airstream (IIRC)! The new heat tempered glass is more shatter resistant than the old Corning glass was. My windows all came from VTS except for the two flat glass front and rear windows, which I got from a local glass company. I ordered them in heat tempered with rounded lower corners and pencil grounded edges. The two pieces cost only $100.00 + tax which was a big savings over what the two vendors wanted for them! And the best part was No Shipping Charges! You may want to go that route too! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
You know, those lexans that we used to have were a bit weak (maybe too thin?) and would bow outwards at times, letting the outside in. I'm glad that we went with glass to replace. BTW, Inland Andy has the glass for a comparatively decent price, and they include both glue and new seals.

Lynn
Lynn, I think that 1/8th inch thickness would be better if Lexan is used (and can be shaped for the curve) but a person would need to get to get it in mar resistant which is more expensive. Also, IIRC even Lexan has a problem with yellowing/hazing from UV exposure over time. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:19 PM   #8
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
Found it. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...s-12485-2.html. Start at post #24. Thanks Rich (rluhr), For thinking outside the box.
Looks like a failed experiment in the end. Did I read this wrong?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Looks like a failed experiment in the end. Did I read this wrong?
I read it as limited success. You need a friend with a big oven. Pizza oven might work nice....

Experiment #3 -- Success!
OK, folks, first the good news: the oven experiment worked. See picture of the test piece next to a quickie mold I put together this morning.

The test was not perfect. Gravity alone was not enough to make the Lexan lay flat against the mold. It tended to "cup" on the underside along the perpendicular axis. Look closely at the picture of the finished piece and you'll see it is not evenly bent.

This problem will be rectified by putting a soft weight atop the Lexan as it is heated. I am thinking about a piece of paper topped by a 2-lb bean bag. In this experiment, I simply opened the oven and pressed down on the Lexan (with oven mits on!) for a few seconds to help it along.

Now the bad news: Doing this to make an actual window requires two things you may not have: (1) a real glass window to use as a template for the mold; (2) an oven big enough to fit it. My fairly large Thermador can only accomodate a 16x24" piece, which is not enough for even the smallest window in the late 60's era: 17x20.5"

Next step is to finish the "production mold" and start searching for a commercial oven I can use to make pieces in all three sizes needed: 17x20.5, 29x20.5, and 39x20.5.
Attached Thumbnails

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 11-30-2009, 09:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
You weren't, perhaps, towing your new trailer through New Mexico this last Friday were you?

We took a road trip to El Paso, TX to pick up a puppy and saw an old airstream with the windows missing being towed down I-25 near Glorieta. We didn't have our Airstream with us, but I was wishing I could signal to the owner of the one being towed.

Congratulations!
Old 11-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
You weren't, perhaps, towing your new trailer through New Mexico this last Friday were you?
That would be me
Old 11-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I knew it!! When we passed you I thought you looked familiar (we met at the Vintage Rally in Salida).

I wish I would have been towing my Airstream so we could have recognized each other.

When we passed I commented that I thought it was you....you just never know when we Airstreamers are going to meet up
Old 11-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
I knew it!! When we passed you I thought you looked familiar (we met at the Vintage Rally in Salida).

I wish I would have been towing my Airstream so we could have recognized each other.

When we passed I commented that I thought it was you....you just never know when we Airstreamers are going to meet up
Picked her up in Trinidad.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Congratulations on the new trailer! What is the condition of the inside?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:12 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Congratulations on the new trailer! What is the condition of the inside?
The bathroom is in great shape. Except for water damage to the furniture under the 2 missing windows everything looks very good. The floor seems solid although I have not peeked under the shag rug. The condition of the appliances are unknown. Upholstery will need to be redone. Has front dinette and rear gaucho.

Not sure what I'm going to do with this baby. Other than replacing the missing windows to seal her up to the weather she probably will be a lawn ornament for a while. Pretty straightforward to restore to original. Or, I've always wanted to paint the inside of an AS with a copy of the Sistine Chapel. Could also be for sale if anyone knows anyone looking for one.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Sounds like you got a good one! There is a post on the forums about taking the window hardware apart, cleaning it and re-installing it. If the hardware is rusted or doesn't work well, you may want to look at the post.

I would go with replacement glass instead of lexan. Just to keep it more authentic and to be extra sure there are no leaks. The windows on that vintage tend to leak if they are not sealed well.

Please post some interior pics when you get a chance
Old 12-01-2009, 07:58 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , United States
The flexibility of the Lexan may cause the windows to leak, whereas the rigid tempered glass will provided a tighter seal.
Greg
Greg@AirLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Interior

I could use some cranks for the window operators
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	165.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	91862   Click image for larger version

Name:	166.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	91863  

Click image for larger version

Name:	167.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	91864  
Old 12-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I had to replace all the windows in my 68 Trade Wind. The plexi that a PO had installed was cracked and leaked. I got my glass from Inland. Expensive, yes, but the quality is good and with new gaskets (included with the windows) the leaks are fixed. For the flat glass I went to a local glass shop and ordered tempered the same size as the old. IIRC they were around $20/each.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Another thought, when you remove the old plexi, be very careful and don't pry on any of the frame parts. They are easy to bend. If the PO has used silicone or worst to attach the plexi to the top frame, it can be very difficult to remove. I found that very carefully heating the glue with a propane torch would make it soft enough to separate the parts. I then used a Dremel with scotch brite bobs to clean the tracks where the glass is clamped. I used double side tape to hold the new glass in and new stainless steel screws.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote