Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #1

Cincinnati , Ohio
where is the hinge pin set screw?

Hello and thank you for the help - we have a 1968 31ft Sovereign and the hinge pin has moved south of the top part of the hinge, leading to but maybe not completely responsible for the door sag...

Anyway, where the heck is that set screw or drift pin or whatever it is that holds the hinge pin in place???

D/S I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by D/S I View Post
Hello and thank you for the help - we have a 1968 31ft Sovereign and the hinge pin has moved south of the top part of the hinge, leading to but maybe not completely responsible for the door sag...

Anyway, where the heck is that set screw or drift pin or whatever it is that holds the hinge pin in place???

The drift pin may be on the other side of the hinge.

They do not go all the way thru the hinge.

If in case you have a freak hinge, the door can easily be aligned buy opening up the holes in the hinge that the bolts go thru.

Realign the door as needed.

Obviously, the door will be sloppy, but at least it will close correctly and look good.

Keep in mind, the cause of the sloppy hinge, is lack of proper running gear balance.

You should also check the wear on the striker pocket and striker bolt.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:51 AM   #3

Cincinnati , Ohio
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply - I read all your posts and the others on door hinges and have already made an appointment to get running gear balanced. As the PO had the same issue, the bottom of the hinge pin is all beat up from hammering... I ordered a new one from your store a few days ago (along with front and rear window - on sale for awesome price!) Striker pocket and bolt look good, and there really is not much play at all around the hinge pin - for now, I think if I can get the hinge pin back up in place, then if there are further issues I can figure out the next steps....

This is my 1st AS, and really 1st travel trailer - so when you say "The drift pin may be on the other side of the hinge" does that mean the side that is attached to the trailer, or? I have moved the door and screen door every which angle, have lifted the door to expose some of the hinge pin, and no matter what there is no obvious sign of any kind of drift pin...

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Where should I expect to see the thing? If I cant find it can I just hammer the existing one out?

Thanks again!
Old 03-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply - I read all your posts and the others on door hinges and have already made an appointment to get running gear balanced. As the PO had the same issue, the bottom of the hinge pin is all beat up from hammering... I ordered a new one from your store a few days ago (along with front and rear window - on sale for awesome price!) Striker pocket and bolt look good, and there really is not much play at all around the hinge pin - for now, I think if I can get the hinge pin back up in place, then if there are further issues I can figure out the next steps....

This is my 1st AS, and really 1st travel trailer - so when you say "The drift pin may be on the other side of the hinge" does that mean the side that is attached to the trailer, or? I have moved the door and screen door every which angle, have lifted the door to expose some of the hinge pin, and no matter what there is no obvious sign of any kind of drift pin...

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Where should I expect to see the thing? If I cant find it can I just hammer the existing one out?

Thanks again!
I have never seen that hinge without a pin, but I have not seen all of them either.

The pin, would never be on the back side of the hinge.

If someone has been working on the bottom of the pin, that tells me that there is "no" pin.

Try tapping it out from the top, and see what happens. If the pin starts to move, then complete the removal.

After installing the new hinge pin, I would highly recommend that you install a drift pin, thru the hinge body and at least part way thru the new hinge pin.

Andy
Old 03-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #5

Cincinnati , Ohio
Hi Andy (and anyone else out there...)

I took a very solid T-handled hex tool (about the same diameter as the hinge pin) and an actual sledge hammer to the top and it did not budge even a little bit...

If I get any more aggressive I may cause more damage.

Do you or anyone else sell the hinge for the 68 AS? I am not ready to give up on removal and rehabilitation of original just yet, but wanted to know my options.

Thank you,
Jim
Old 03-29-2009, 11:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hi Andy (and anyone else out there...)

I took a very solid T-handled hex tool (about the same diameter as the hinge pin) and an actual sledge hammer to the top and it did not budge even a little bit...

If I get any more aggressive I may cause more damage.

Do you or anyone else sell the hinge for the 68 AS? I am not ready to give up on removal and rehabilitation of original just yet, but wanted to know my options.

Thank you,
Jim
The single hinge has not been available for over 30 years.

Taking the hinge off the door may be the answer to removing a hidden pin.

Andy