Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 24' Tradewind
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Zeigler , Illinois
Lockset and Deadbolt for '65

For you '65 owners who need a latchset and/or deadbolt and don't mind "not original". . . .

I just ordered a Schlage A Series passage lockset and deadbolt (DLock B660P), satin chrome, both 3 3/4" backset. I am pretty certain (ie hoping) that they will do the job on my '65 Tradewind. The latch mechanism from a 2 3/4" backset latchset that I have fit in just fine without cutting anything.

Schlage Security

I ordered the Plymouth, although the Andover or Georgian match original pretty closely.

I will have them in a few weeks and will report on success.
retronotold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Bromsgrove , Worcestershire
Thanks for posting that, I've been struggling to find a suitable replacement lock for a while now.

Please post progress when you get the lock.
Chiefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:21 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Chapin , South Carolina
Thanks for posting. Please post how the install goes. I am currently working with an old duct taped door. I replaced the dead bolt and that is what currently holds the door shut.
JSTOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 24' Tradewind
Zeigler , Illinois
Got the lockset and deadbolt today. Worked on getting them installed this evening. One out of two ain't bad . . . .

First the lockset. It went in pretty easily. I had to grind down the side of the latch plate to get it to fit properly (the outside edge). After taking off about 1/8" it fit just fine, using the same holes as the original. I also had to clean up the hole for the knob mechanism - I think the factory used tin snips to cut the original holes in both the inside and outside skins. A properly sized hole saw took care of this. I used a plywood jig clamped to the door over the original hole to keep the hole saw from going wild - just had to center the new hole over the outline of the old door rose and cut through both sides from the outside. In hindsight, I would have cut from the inside, just in case I missed the mark and had to adjust the hole and possibly patch. Everything else went in just fine, and it looks great.

The deadbolt won't work. The housing for the bolt is larger than the original, and won't fit through the hole in the jamb. I can't drill it larger because the door frame isn't thick enough. It is a Schlage D Series, perhaps meant for 1 3/4" doors rather than 1 3/8". I am going to check to see if a residential series is available with a 3 3/4" backset, and the smaller diameter housing. My original deadbolt is working, so I am not in a bind with this situation.

Darkness won before I could get pictures - will try to get some taken and posted in the next couple of days.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:37 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
San Diego , California
Retronotold -
The link you posted for the Schlage lock set is bad.
Could you give us a URL for that lockset?

thanks,
Jai
SunDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 24' Tradewind
Zeigler , Illinois
Give this a try...

Schlage Home Security - Door Knobs

This is a link to the Schlage website showing available products. The 3 3/4" backset probably will require a special order from most places. I ordered mine from a hardware speciality shop.

I did get the deadbolt to work. I had it in hand, and decided to give it a try. It required grinding on the tailpiece to get it to fit through the original bolt and enlarging the hole in the door. I had to reuse the original bolt due to the problem described above. The main problem was that the through screws for the cylinder were just very slightly off the holes on the bolt, putting the tailpiece in a bind when the cylinder was tightened in place. My primary concern was that the bind affected unlocking much more than locking, and I didn't want to lock the door and then not be unable to unlock it. Because of this, I won't recommend this for others, but so far it has worked just fine for me.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:23 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
San Diego , California
thank you for reposting the link.
I'll check it out.
SunDiego is offline   Reply With Quote