Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2006, 04:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Wolfville , Nova Scotia
Leaking door gasket

Hey, hi.
I mentioned in another area on the boards that I have some wet rot as a result of a broken/leaky door gasket... Is there some kind of common household gasket that would be adequate to fix it 'for now'? I have to stop the water before I can fix the floor! What's the most usual quick fix for this problem? (I'm a great fan of duct tape, but in this case, I can't see it helping...)
Old 05-12-2006, 04:47 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Sure that is the cause?

I'm not saying the door gasket is not the cause, so do not take it that way. What I am saying, is that, when the trailer is stationary, the design of the door frame makes it difficult for water to get to the floor. For almost every floor rot problem, seals around the multitude of holes cut in your roof for various peices of comfort inspiring equipment or seals around windows and seams are the normal suspects. Many times, water will infiltrate the opening, and then run up to several feet inside the walls before finding the floor. Look carefully before being satisfied with the cause.
Now, as for the answer to your question, it is possible to get several different profiles of door seal material from automotive suppliers, ie JC WHITNEY, etc or even to use something from a home building supply for temp repairs. The doors on Airstreams have been the same so long that you could order from an Airstream dealer and have in hand Airstream factory style gasket within a week or so. I know that Parkview RV will order and have shipped straight from the factory to your house, and I'm sure others would too.
Good luck!
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:11 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Wolfville , Nova Scotia
You could be right...

I bought this 1975 Excella as is where is, and haven't moved it from the previous owner's property yet, so I haven't had a real close look yet at the possible sources of leaking. There was an area of damp floor near the bottom of the door, and an obvious trail to a low area, which is a 5" x 5" area of rotten mess. It appeared at first glance to be the door seal, but after I get it moved (Monday!) I'll have a better idea where the true problem lies. Thanks for info on gasket suppliers. I paid $5300 for the trailer, my goal is to do all immediate repairs as cheap as possible, and go for more expensive fix-ups next year, when I've had a chance to save up - I work in the arts, so I'm very poor, but happy
Old 05-12-2006, 06:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
My 2 cents.

When we first got our trailer I got this advice so now I'm going to pass it on to you. When you get it home before you get to anything on the inside. Go ahead and re-seal everything on top, windows around compartment doors. The old will have to be taken off and new re-applied. Use vulkum, parbond it's the best in my book. There is lots of advice on this just do a search. But the main thing is to fix the areas on the outside before repairing on the inside. We all get in a hurry to have everything just so-so on the inside and forget how the water get's in.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
yes- seal the exterior!

hi- I agree with rebel beck's advice absolutely- start from the top and work your way down, inspecting or re-sealing ALL penetrations through the skin, including sky-lights, antenae fittings, fridge vent, and sewer vents. The sewer vents can leak from the inside as well- if there is no proper gasket rain can find its way down along the black pvc pipe into your wall insulation, down to the floor. Check or re-seal the tops and sides of all window flanges, and the weatherstripping. Ditto the seams on the skin itself, especially the roof and down the curve to the sides. Just pretend you are rain, looking for a way in- and block it with one of the recommended sealers. Only then can you proceed with interior repairs knowing you have a tight ship. Have fun! -tim P.S.- just looked up wolfville on a map, would love to get up there one day- how is the RVing up there? Plenty of campgrounds?
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Wolfville , Nova Scotia
Wwsd?

"What would Spock do?"
Making sure the shields are up, Captain...
So basically, I think "Star Trek" and make sure my shields are inpenetrable, Thanks for the words of wisdom- I know the antenna is a source of leaking, and I'm sure the windows are too, so I'll stop the leaks before I make the pretty curtains. It's so... logical.

Oh, yes, Wolfville is exquisite, and Hubbards Beach and Evangeline Beach are both great destinations!