Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Helena , Alabama
Keeler lock problems

I have two issues I'm currently working through with this door lock. The door doesn't seem to close all the way. It seem to stick out between an 1/8 to 1/4 inch all the way around. It was worse at the top and bottom until I worked on it with a 2x4, now its about uniform. There doesn't seem to be an adjustment on the locking bar. The door jam inset also has no adjustment. Any ideas?

The jam inset it enclosed to keep the water out that may make it past the seal.

The other issue I have is that the lock was gummed up so I took it apart and did too good of a job greasing it up so when I close the door too hard the door latch falls and locks me out. A piece of tape holds it up at the moment. I'm thinking I should take it back apart and wipe it out?

Below is what I mean by door jam inset. I find half the battle in locating stuff is finding the correct name.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	217367
Devain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devain View Post
I have two issues I'm currently working through with this door lock. The door doesn't seem to close all the way. It seem to stick out between an 1/8 to 1/4 inch all the way around. It was worse at the top and bottom until I worked on it with a 2x4, now its about uniform. There doesn't seem to be an adjustment on the locking bar. The door jam inset also has no adjustment. Any ideas?

The jam inset it enclosed to keep the water out that may make it past the seal.

The other issue I have is that the lock was gummed up so I took it apart and did too good of a job greasing it up so when I close the door too hard the door latch falls and locks me out. A piece of tape holds it up at the moment. I'm thinking I should take it back apart and wipe it out?

Below is what I mean by door jam inset. I find half the battle in locating stuff is finding the correct name.

Attachment 217367
From your description, it sounds like the striker bolt is bad worn.

When you took the lock apart, what did you do with the small ball and spring that controls the inside vertical locking shaft?

When that ball is not properly adjusted or is missing, then there is nothing to keep the door from locking itself every time you close it.

Not good.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote