Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Wolnzach , Bavaria
how to open a 1972 entrance door with damaged handle?

I had a very bad surprise when coming home from a weekend trip. A very friendly “somebody” sprayed the front and parts of the sides of my 1972 Tradewind with silver and red color L. I have no idea why… Hopefully there is a way to clean it up – suggestions appreciated.
Besides that he tried to get access to the trailer, but unsuccessfully. Trying this he pulled the exterior door handle as hard as possible. Something inside the lock failed, so I can move the handle all the way back and forth but the door does not open anymore. What do I have to do to get access to my trailer again? As one window is currently not in and only covered with a contractor bag, (trailer is gutted) I have the chance to enter the trailer through the window frame in case this makes it easier to open the door. But having the door open I definitely want to close it again the same day to be protected from my “friend”.

Do I have to replace the whole lock/handle? I attached a picture of the lock.

Thanks for your support!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	door.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	182244
Lars_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Don't know about the lock as it is of course mounted from the inside, and a real PITA to work on if it's the same as the old Argosy I had to rebuild once, but about the paint, I bought a spray paint remover from the auto parts store that worked well, and did not destroy the finish under the spray paint. But, the sooner you use it, the better it will work.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
You will probably have to go in the window to open the door.

Once you can get the lock assembly off I think the outside handle is held to a shaft with a couple 3/32 ? roll pins which can be driven out and replaced if nothing else is broken. The roll pins can weaken with rust so you may be lucky.
Helped a friend do this a couple weeks ago and it wasn't too difficult. It looks like you have the same assembly.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
There is a good diagram of this lock here:
Airstream Lock 1970-77
You will need to open the door from the inside and to remove the lock from the door you will need to have the door open since one of the screws is located on the edge of the door and is only exposed when the door is open.

This is a pricey lock with replacements going from 400+ and up. Once you find out what parts are damaged you should be able to find what you need to repair it.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Only way to open is from inside bag over window much easier to get in if [friend] want's in widow missing easy entrance. As stated pita to take lock out must drill out pop rivets on liner then take off or try to work it out enough to get lock out, also you can get into trailer w/out breaking window I know how but won't explain here pm me at bill73r1@gmail.com w/phone # or Andy at Inland also knows how, some dishonest people would also like this info why caution of info
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Wolnzach , Bavaria
Lock fixed!

Today I fixed the lock, it was easier than expected.
After opening the door from the inside I had to remove the inner shell from the door, the lock came out after removing 3 screws. The fourth one on the edge of the door was not in for some reason.
On the lock the small roll pin SKU 3006 (see link that azflycaster posted) was broken. This is standard roll pin, I bought it at ACE for 17 cents.
I am more than happy that I did to buy the lock!

Thanks to all for your help!
Lars_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
VA Beach , Virginia
Easy way to pull door if lock problem is to Remove Hinge Screws (4) and whole door will come right off.
jimrich60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrich60 View Post
Easy way to pull door if lock problem is to Remove Hinge Screws (4) and whole door will come right off.
That's an extremely bad idea. The nuts on the inside of the wall, IF they stay in one spot long enough to allow the screws to be removed, will either drop to the bottom of the wall, or fall off when you try to re-install the screws. After you hopefully get the screws re-started into the nuts, the nuts will almost certainly begin spinning rather than tighten. You will then have to dismantle the inner wall to stop the nuts from turning. After that, the nuts will continue trying to work loose.
And THAT is if the 1972 model trailer has the two hinges you are talking about. Most, if not all, had the large, single refrigerator-door type hinge, that cannot be unscrewed the way you are describing.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would not remove the hinge screws. There is a nut on each on the inside. These nuts are not attached in any permanent way. If the nut spins, you have no way to hold it to either remove it or tighten it without removing the interior skin next to the hinge side of the door.
A broken roll pin is a common problem with the KT lock assembly. It happens when the bolt slams out upon closing the door. The roll pin is simply sheared off after a while.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote