Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari
The Woodlands , Texas
Andy,

Thanks for the detailed response and history on balancing. Your actual "hands-on" experience speaks volumes to not only the importance, but the value in doing this type of preventive maintenance. I have an appointment in two weeks to bring my AS in to have it looked at.

Thanks again for everyone's input and suggestions!
64Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Yes Andy, thank you very much for the very comprehensive answers and the link with the detail of the process. We had our wheels balanced and the brakes done on our 2005 Airstream and will also make it a point to have it done on this one. I fully appreciate the caution you gave, it makes sense to have your Airstream properly maintained both for preventing damage and for safety's sake. Spend a little, save a lot!

Rick and Kistler, until we can drive out for service, I'll have my husband follow your advice as well. Thanks

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:45 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
1993 21' Sovereign
Elm Grove , Wisconsin
Hinge pin fix

I too have had one of my door hinge pins wanting to work it's way up on a regular basis. Last year I tried using locktite and then tapping the pin back down. This worked for a short time. Then, back to the same problem. This year I had my Airstream dealer look at the problem. They did something where the tech punched the metal surface around the top of the hinge pin opening trying to tighten the hole opening itself. This worked for about a week! I had pretty much resigned myself to having Jackson Center look at the problem when I have some other work done in the fall. Then, I talked to someone that gave me another idea. He suggested that I try using Napa Surface Prep Activator for Anaerobics in conjuction with Napa High Strength Threadlocker Red. I thought--what do I have to lose! I thoroughly cleaned the protruding pin and then appled the Surface Prep Activator per directions. After the solution dried I dabbed on the High Stregth Threadlocker and tapped down the pin with wood and hammer. I waited four days before testing my door. To my amazement the idea worked! We have traveled over 6000 miles since "the fix" and still (keep my fingers crossed) no further problem. Give it a try---hopefully you have similar results. If not, start balancing the running gear. Juergen
jhart657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:10 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Bluffton , South Carolina
Hinge Pin and Door Hinge Loose?

Say, I have a combination problem with my 01 30' using the power stabilizers when I push out the slide. This racks the door frame such that one has to pull up on the handle to close it. The up shot to this has been the lower hinge has gotten loose alone with the pin. The dealers repairman said his best fix for the pin is to cross drill through the hinge into the pin and then use a roll pin to capture it positively. ???? Your fixes sound easier.

And then the loose hinge is another story! If I couldn't tighten up the screws on the hinge with a torque tool, and it didn't, so I have to open up the wall. It seems that AS didn't think that the nuts would ever come
loose with all that sealant over them. But then we know better!!!

But the repairman said I must remove the trim around the inside of the door and then measure up to the location of the screws, allowing for work room, then cut out the inside panel, behind the trim area. Remove all the sealant around the nuts, remove and replace with flat washers and lock washers. Lock up both nuts, reseal then replace the trim. Locktite too? Sounds too easy Ha Ha

I've also experienced the Morathon tire explosion problem, so I have four new GoodYear balanced tires after less than 5K miles but four years of exposure. Just like most of you, I had the side wall blow out problem but without any prorata from the tire company. Just pay and play.
fred bartlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Classic Motorhome Hinge Pin Faces Down!

I have never looked at the hinges on any other Classic MH but the pins on our door come out downward and the blind end is on top. While I appreciate the wheel balance issue with trailers, we've replaced tires and had wheels balanced, and our lower hinge pin wants to drop out. This is scary--if it happened on the road it would be hard to replace!

Really glad to hear about the Napa prep and loctite solution--Thanks!

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
We have the exact same problem on our '06 Bambi. We thought we had it fixed last summer, but noticed the same problem on a longer trip just a few weeks ago.

Our pin end is grooved too. And the pin seems to move when the door is open or closed.

If anyone gets an answer from the factory about why this is happening on new models, I'd like to hear what they have to say.

Thanks!

-J
Hi Jamie, well that is twice for you and then me and now I noticed Vicki's was working up and let her know, and Nancy says hers is working its way up. All of us have new 2006-2008 units. Nancy was bringing hers back to the dealer and they were going to mention the fact to Airstream that so many of us are having this issue. I bet there are more that just haven't noticed yet.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Hi Jamie, well that is twice for you and then me and now I noticed Vicki's was working up and let her know, and Nancy says hers is working its way up. All of us have new 2006-2008 units. Nancy was bringing hers back to the dealer and they were going to mention the fact to Airstream that so many of us are having this issue. I bet there are more that just haven't noticed yet.
I'm glad you're checking door hinges and letting others know when you see the problem. We still haven't found a good fix for for ours other than to keep checking it and putting it back in place when the pin starts working its way up. It really would be interesting to find out how widespread the problem is.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote