Old 07-01-2018, 09:45 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by marter View Post
Looking forward to your results. Hope it works for you.

Thanks,
Mike
So, tested it out this weekend and everything worked fine. I had a 50' coaxial that came with the Tailgater/Wally combo and plugged that into the outside "cable/sat" in connector.

Inside the trailer, took the "sat in" connection and plugged it into the Wally and then the Wally via HDMI to the living room TV.

Worked fine although did notice that the outer coating of the coaxial cable is torn/rubbed off in several places. It seems to be a very thin and non durable coating.

LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:54 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post
So, tested it out this weekend and everything worked fine. I had a 50' coaxial that came with the Tailgater/Wally combo and plugged that into the outside "cable/sat" in connector.

Inside the trailer, took the "sat in" connection and plugged it into the Wally and then the Wally via HDMI to the living room TV.

Worked fine although did notice that the outer coating of the coaxial cable is torn/rubbed off in several places. It seems to be a very thin and non durable coating.
LBO thanks for the update. Glad its working for you

So the new coax that came with the Tailgater is already showing wear? Interesting, but I guess that's easily replaced when it fails.

Thanks again,
Mike

marter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:56 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Yes - it was incredibly disappointing. It seemed the coating was just something as thin as saran wrap. I normally carry a fairly heavy-duty 50' coax, so will use that, but it's weird that they would provide such a low-quality cable. After all, people with tailgaters are using them outside in the elements!
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:07 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post
Yes - it was incredibly disappointing. It seemed the coating was just something as thin as saran wrap. I normally carry a fairly heavy-duty 50' coax, so will use that, but it's weird that they would provide such a low-quality cable. After all, people with tailgaters are using them outside in the elements!
That's interesting. When I talked to Dish she kept stressing the Tailgater over the Playmaker and mentioned the coax specifically. Hmm.

Regardless, glad its working for you. And thanks for the update. Guess I'll budget some coax as well.

Happy trails,
Mike
Old 07-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Well, I finally ordered a Playmaker Wally combo and tried setting it up in the driveway before we left for a trip this week. Mistakenly tried a 100' RG-6 coax and found it was too long. I acquired all 3 satellites but the dish kept making a ratcheting noise and wouldn't finish the initial setup; kept looping back.

Called Dish and they were helpful. She said 50' coax was the max so I switched to a 50' and she suggested I connect direct to the Wally and bypass the internal trailer coax, which worked and completed the setuo. She thought I'd be fine using the trailer coax once it completed initial setup.

However, when I switched to using the trailer connection outside and removing the jumper on the Sat connection and connected the Wally to the Sat in, it completely lost the signal and the screen said to check my connections, move out from under trees, etc. Reconnected directly and it worked fine. I gave up and went camping without it.

We're in a state park with a lot of trees so I doubt if it would have worked here anyway. We don't watch a lot of TV while camping anyway so I think I'll just return the combo and enjoy being disconnected.

Thanks all for the feedback on your experiences.

Happy trails,
Mike