Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2006, 08:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Television Cable

My 1972 Tradewind doesn't appear to be wired for cable, that or I'm blind and am not seeing it. My questions are, where does the cable typically enter one of these units of this vintage (could well be there was no cable in trailers back then). Secondly, can anyone offer suggestions on how to install a cable connection in the trailer? Are there special electrical assemblies designed especially for going through the exterior wall of an RV? My unit does not have a TV antenna at all, so I don't even see antenna connections anywhere. Thanks in advance for any tips or guidance!

Cheers!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:50 AM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
My 1972 Tradewind doesn't appear to be wired for cable, that or I'm blind and am not seeing it. My questions are, where does the cable typically enter one of these units of this vintage (could well be there was no cable in trailers back then). Secondly, can anyone offer suggestions on how to install a cable connection in the trailer? Are there special electrical assemblies designed especially for going through the exterior wall of an RV? My unit does not have a TV antenna at all, so I don't even see antenna connections anywhere. Thanks in advance for any tips or guidance!

Cheers!
My 71 had a roof antenna, with a booster setup by the bedroom closet. My 71 had a double bed setup, not the twins.
I ran a cable hookup through the skin behind the closet, then neatly through the closet to the area where the TV went.
RV supply stores have antenna receptacles for the outside of your trailer.
I did not like them, only available in Colonial white or bright white....back when I looked, anyways.
So I used a coax coupler, drilled a small hole to fit the coupler through the outer skin and inner skin, then a larger hole through the inner skin, and secured the coupler with a nut over the outside threads. A cap kept water and mud out of the jack. The system was installed near the water heater,, within easy reach of the utility poles at most campgrounds.
A standard coax extension was then installed on the inside piece of the coupler, and routed to teh TV area, as described above.
In my case, I had a winegard amplified batwing on the roof, and also a signal splitter/signal amplifier near the TV spot. A button turned on the tv amplifier, at the same time disabling the cable input. With the button deactivated, the cable signal passed through the amp unchanged, disabling the antenna input.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:04 AM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
there was no cable tv back then, so no, there wouldn't be any factory connections for it.

In my trailer, which should be very similar to yours, there is a 12v outlet over the fridge, built into the bottom of the cabinet over the fridge. That outlet also contained an old-fashioned tv antenna outlet. I would guess that your trailer was probably wired for an antenna, whether it came with one or not. maybe not. but anyway...

I changed this outlet out with a modern 12v/cable tv outlet, ran the cable down behind the fridge, through the hardware cloth screen in the floor of the trailer (that forms the air intake for the fridge vent), and then attached the cable to the belly pan of the trailer, running it across to the street side. (since that is where most campground service pedestals are located.)attached it with sheet metal screws and cable-clips. It terminates near the front of the street side wheel well. I looped back about a foot, so I can easily reach under there and detach the cable from its last couple of clips, and about a foot or so of cable will stick out. from that I can attach another length of cable to a campground's cable connector.

cheap, quick, easy, completely out of site, and I didn't have to punch any holes in the skin of the trailer.

If you want to add an antenna in the future, its wire can be run to this same outlet. it has inputs for cable and an antenna. modern antennas will require a coaxial cable connection, but there are adapters for the old flat-wire that could be used on either end of it. to run a new piece of coaxial cable from the typical antenna location on the roof to this outlet location would require that you drop the ceiling panel...which is a pita. (but "do-able").
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:10 AM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Pics

Here are some pictures that I found, that show the antenna system somewhat.

The interior picture shows the amplifier wallplate, with 12V outlet for a 12VDC TV, the grey cable goes to the back of the TV
The exterior picture shows the batwing exended and adjusted.
The cropped picture shows the little antenna connector next to and right in front of the water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	19648   Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	19649  

Attached Images

Old 03-22-2006, 09:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Used Fridge Vent

Ran the cable in the Globtrotter the much same way as Chuck did but didn't change an outlet. There is a 110 AC outlet next to the fridge vent.
Just drilled a small hole, 3 inches above the countertop, and installed a double female connector through the plastic vent. You don't even see the connector unless you look for it as the gold plating is very close in color to the yellow color of the vent.
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Great tips everyone! Thank you for taking the time to describe your set-ups for me, it is greatly appreciated! I just may have a weekend project!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:37 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
White Post , Virginia
The back TV in my 2016 Silver Cloud stopped receiving Cable channels. Both TVs worked fine and the front TV still receives cable channels.
Tomrpark is offline   Reply With Quote