Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Reno , Nevada
Sat Radio Antenna mount and install

Hi,
I have a 2007 Bambi and have a Sirius Starmate 4. The system works well the only problem is I have to put the Antenna in the window and drag wires around. Does anyone know the best place to mount an outdoor sat radio antenna and how to run it inside the coach? It would be great to have the wires next to the Stereo but maybe I am asking too much. Any advise is greatly appreicated.
Cheers
Doug
DandB^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Anytown USA , The open road.
Running the wires in any RV are not easy. But if your game, get a drill, rivet gun and just mount with some weather proof adhesive. Route the wire so you only have to remove very few rivets (inside) to pull the wire to your radio location. Drill only a small enough hole to get the end of the wire inside the shell. You can find water proof gromets at several places that will fit the hole you drill.

I am installing one right now on my AS. It isn't too bad, but I am renovating anyway.

Good luck! You can do it!
Old 02-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
I think someone posted several months ago they mounted the antenna inside their Fantastic Fan and ran the wire underneath the white vinyl ceiling. Seemed like a good idea when I was reading it.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:30 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Reno , Nevada
Thanks for the quick replies. I am not quite ready to bust out the rivot gun and drill - Its less than 1 year old -and I am not all that handy. I will take a look at mounting inside the fan though.
Cheers
D
DandB^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
There are glass mount antennas for both the satellite radio services. A company called Terk makes some, but there are others. The antennas mount in two pieces, one on the outside, and one on the inside of the glass. You can then route the wires how ever you like. A web search will yield sources.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I've wrestled with this for over a year now. I have no problem with drilling holes and sealing them, as I do it every day on large MoHos.
My solution was a temporary one though........I use a magnetic car antenna (the 2" X 2" type with the very fine wire) and let it stick itself to a 2' X 2' piece of galvanized sheet metal.

This becomes a sufficient ground plane for excellent reception without being directional. You can then place the metal just about anywhere (I leave mine on top of my LP tank cover, or simply on the ground).

The wire is thin enough to pass thru the door even when closed without a problem. Quick set-up, simple and portable.................until I do something permanent.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:30 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
This has worked for me and didn't require hole drilling: Sirius mag mount antenna on a flat spot out on the hitch. Wire runs back along A-frame, up and in through the front window. There was enough of a gap in the corner. Just make sure you don't bend the little coax cable too tightly. I'll probably change it to run in along with the wires to the electric jack and break-away switch when I get time.
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
This becomes a sufficient ground plane for excellent reception without being directional. You can then place the metal just about anywhere (I leave mine on top of my LP tank cover, or simply on the ground).
I know they recommend a ground plane, but I've been using mine with the antenna velcro'd to the top of my cabinets (I'm in a B-van with a fiberglass top, so the signal passes right through) for about 2 years now and I've never had a problem with the signal. In fact I have fewer dropouts with that than I do in the car, which has its antenna on the roof. So I'm not sure how much the ground plane really matters.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
Here's the thread about how we ran the antenna cable along the headliner and to the fantastic fan. It's been over a year, and it's worked great. Excellent reception under the fan's dome & the vinyl clips have kept the cable out of sight.
Hope it helps!
R&SZinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:22 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
dublin , California
serius radio

I have the older model in my TV. When I WANT TO LISTEN TO NASCAR FOOTBAL ETC. I plug my reciever into the lighter adaptor and calabrate channels. I run my antenna thru the screen door opening and locate a position to recieve a siginal. It's a small hassle, but I get the radio I want to listen to.

Rick
rbkhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkhale
I have the older model in my TV. When I WANT TO LISTEN TO NASCAR FOOTBAL ETC. I plug my reciever into the lighter adaptor and calabrate channels. I run my antenna thru the screen door opening and locate a position to recieve a siginal. It's a small hassle, but I get the radio I want to listen to.

Rick
I also have an older Sirius unit in my TV that can go back and forth between the trainler and TV. I have 2 different Antennas, but I'm not too thrilled with fishing wires all over the place. I'm wondering if I can just have the factory install an antenna in my AS - since it goes on order in a few days. I guess now would be the best time to do it.
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
I also have an older Sirius unit in my TV that can go back and forth between the trainler and TV. I have 2 different Antennas, but I'm not too thrilled with fishing wires all over the place. I'm wondering if I can just have the factory install an antenna in my AS - since it goes on order in a few days. I guess now would be the best time to do it.
Why Not?

They have to run the antenna wire for the car stereo inside, so if you send them the antenna and the wire, they should be able to run that also. The only problem that I see is that the magnetic antenna will not sick to the aluminum.

You might want to opt for a marine antenna that gets mounted to the roof instead of the car antenna. Just neds to have the wire run inside and placed by the stereo.

If they won't mount the antenna, just send the cable and have them bring it up at the same location as the radio's antenna and you can mount the antenna yourself!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
plano , Texas
Finally a use for the fogged vista-view windows

I ran into this same dilema. I found that I can place my 2"x2" magnetic antena in the vista-view window and I get great signal. The wire runs along with the hanging light behind the curtains to the radio. No drilling/etc required.

-thomas
tschat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschat
I ran into this same dilema. I found that I can place my 2"x2" magnetic antena in the vista-view window and I get great signal. The wire runs along with the hanging light behind the curtains to the radio. No drilling/etc required.

-thomas
This is what i may end up doing. I'll try Lewsters idea of getting the factory to do it, but if that doesn't work, I'll end up threading it through like you did.

J
Old 03-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #15
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
My antenna mount wasn't the most elegant, but I simply mounted a steel plate on the one end of the TV antenna and use a magnetic mount Sirius antenna -- I then ran the wire down the front of my Bambi and in through the window. I actually did the same thing with a Cell antenna. I used some narrow plastic cord hiding conduit (double face tape mount) along the window to hold the wires stable. After two years of traveling with antennas mounted lower on the side of the trailer I found that the Bambi sides just interfered with the signal too much. By mounting the steel plate on the TV antenna I am always above the metal sides of the trailer and can even raise the antenna if I want. Reception is much better and more consistent.
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Why Not?

They have to run the antenna wire for the car stereo inside, so if you send them the antenna and the wire, they should be able to run that also. The only problem that I see is that the magnetic antenna will not sick to the aluminum.

You might want to opt for a marine antenna that gets mounted to the roof instead of the car antenna. Just neds to have the wire run inside and placed by the stereo.

If they won't mount the antenna, just send the cable and have them bring it up at the same location as the radio's antenna and you can mount the antenna yourself!
Well - as it turns out - we will have our AS shipped with the Sirius unit that Airstream installs. The model is compatable with the the antenna and power feed that's in my TV. All I need to do is swap out the cradle in my TV (for $9.95) and the new unit will work in both the trailer and the TV. My dealer threw in the Sirius package at no charge when I was placing the order. So, how could I go wrong?