Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2006, 05:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
LCD monitors

Installed a LCD tv monitor in Classic. Can you leave the monitor in the AS when winterized? Will the freezing temps effect the monitor? Couldn't find anything in the tv's printed material about temps, thought someone might know. Thanks.
Gregg
GreggH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Electronics do have a temperature range that they must live in, like us. Since electrolytic capacitors are basically a chemical wrapped in an insulator and foil. They should not freeze or boil. Also microprocessors and associated circuitry have little tolerance for contraction and expansion unless your LCD is military grade. Your manual that came with your unit will tell you the temperature limits and condensation limits. Follow them, and you will enjoy your LCD for a long time.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
LCD Monitor

GreggH,

4 years ago I installed a 15" LCD in the rear bedroom with an articulating arm mounted on the bedroom wall & linen closet. I used washers and bolts and never take it down. This unit has been to rockies, midwest, Grand Canyon, East Coast and many places inbetween. The monitor stays put and has never had any problems.

Recently I added a 17" wide screen LCD to the front lounge, its stand alone so it rides on the bed when towing.

I guess this practice is not recommended but since I live in Dallas the temperature lows are not severe but is get hot in the summer. I have'nt experienced problems with the DVD, LCD, CD, or the Microwave.
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Is there such a thing as a quick release for the LCDs mounted on the articulating arms? I would like to disconnect it from the living area and set it up in the bedroom area. Does anyone have a set-up like that?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:43 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Lansing , Michigan
Don't know about the weather, but I sure am lookin forward to some HDTV this spring in the 28 ft Argosy MH
tandemfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
My 20" LCD has about 60,000 miles on it now. It's bolted to the valance headliner. It only comes out of the coach for trade shows when I need a second computer. Startup of an LCD in the cold will yield poor performance until it warms up.
If the overnight temps are predicted to go below freezing I'll plug in and leave the heat on low...more for plumbing protection. Remember my AS is a daily driver.
If you're in the great white north you might want to take the panel home and enjoy it there for the winter
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:04 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
Skaneateles , New York
Lcd

Gregg We live and work in cold and snowy upstate NY. We are large format digital photographers. Our equipment (derived from satelite mapping) cannot operate without being hooked to a laptop. These laptops are in and out of hot and cold several times a day. However, we never let any equipment become cold soaked because of the condensation zone. Water vapor will condense on cold objects...this is visible but the damage is done out of sight. The best example I can give is a situation we see every year here. People launch thier boats in April when the lake water is 36Fand over time the wam humid air 70F condenses on and corrodes the electrical parts. Mechanics here make a good living repairing boats that won't sart. PS There is no water vapor in space and the operating computers for the satelite application are are safe and warm on earth. Cheers Tom
wanderingeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:36 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
When we got our Sharp LCD, I called Sharp customer assistance about freezing weather. Their answer is that freezing will destroy the screen. Like other people, I read thru everything that came with it, and there was no mention about freezing causing damage. We take ours into the house for the winter, since we are in Iowa where temperatures go well below 0F in the winter. Be safe, keep it from freezing.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 07:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Not really..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Is there such a thing as a quick release for the LCDs mounted on the articulating arms? I would like to disconnect it from the living area and set it up in the bedroom area. Does anyone have a set-up like that?
Hi Carol~!
Been following your comments abt the new dream A/S and, very nice~!!
I'm sure you'll be very very plse'd with it~
As for the LCD, the way the articulating arm is setup..There is no quick disconnect scheme, for reasons of security while traveling. (staying put)
You could temporarily refasten it to the mounting stand that comes with it originally from the maker. Airstream usually leaves that stand in the LCD's box within the unit but, I'd call them to be sure that they will do it.
Happy camping~!!
ciao
Vern
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
Hi Carol~!
Been following your comments abt the new dream A/S and, very nice~!!
I'm sure you'll be very very plse'd with it~
As for the LCD, the way the articulating arm is setup..There is no quick disconnect scheme, for reasons of security while traveling. (staying put)
You could temporarily refasten it to the mounting stand that comes with it originally from the maker. Airstream usually leaves that stand in the LCD's box within the unit but, I'd call them to be sure that they will do it.
Happy camping~!!
ciao
Vern
Thanks Vern. Yup we are pretty excited over the new unit. Thanks for that information. I didn't know that there was a mounting bracket from the manufacturer. Seems like that would be a good one to use in the bed area and remove for transit.

photography
Old 02-24-2006, 09:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Lightbulb Sanus Mount can be detached

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
We decided to go with the Sanus articulating wall mount so that we could remove the lcd for winter storage or when we wanted to move it to another location. Here is the link to the site that we bought it from.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
You can see that you can easily remove the lcd from the mount by removing the bolt that attaches it to the vesa mount, it's a very simple step. We plan to leave the lcd tabletop stand on and place it on the credenza for watching in the salon area and mount the sanus bracket on the shirt closet wall in the back bedroom. We don't plan on traveling with the lcd mounted, the Sony 19" widescreen mount is very low for the vesa bracket. We fear it would have too much stress from the top weight during travel. Plus we're worried about what that stress on the velcro straps would do to the finish of the lcd. Hope this was helpful. Can't wait to get out and try it, hooked it up the other day and watched a little Olympics in the trailer.
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M CAPECOD
We decided to go with the Sanus articulating wall mount so that we could remove the lcd for winter storage or when we wanted to move it to another location. Here is the link to the site that we bought it from.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
You can see that you can easily remove the lcd from the mount by removing the bolt that attaches it to the vesa mount, it's a very simple step. We plan to leave the lcd tabletop stand on and place it on the credenza for watching in the salon area and mount the sanus bracket on the shirt closet wall in the back bedroom. We don't plan on traveling with the lcd mounted, the Sony 19" widescreen mount is very low for the vesa bracket. We fear it would have too much stress from the top weight during travel. Plus we're worried about what that stress on the velcro straps would do to the finish of the lcd. Hope this was helpful. Can't wait to get out and try it, hooked it up the other day and watched a little Olympics in the trailer.
Wow those are great points. Thanks. I did notice the 19" monitor pictures all look like the monitor hangs forward and asked the dealer about it, now I know why it does. Monitor strap could indeed cause some abraison. I don't mind stowing it when we dont use it and mounting a picture over the bracket, maybe a window box type frame to accommodate the clearance. Probably wouldn't have to make a zillion and one holes in the wall either!!!!!!! : )

photography