Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2016, 06:37 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
How do you watch television?

Before I put up my interior walls, I am considering options for television. We are not huge television watchers, but would like to have access. From my reading, I see these options:
1. Some campgrounds have cable you can plug into - is it worthwhile to install a cable inlet on my trailer?
2. Antennas: Any recommendations on type/brand?
3. Netflix: are wireless signals ample enough for this to work in campgrounds?
I know satellite is an option as well, but I don't think that is for us.

Advice, recommendations much appreciated. Thank you.
Greg
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:54 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
I installed a Furion cable/phone inlet during my Trade Wind full monty, but I doubt I will ever use it. For one, I don't tend to camp in the type of campground where those services would be available. I also installed a Jack antenna on the roof. Although they are supposed to work fine for over-the-air signals...something went wrong with mine...and I am reluctant to pry it off the roof if I am not going to replace it. For the time being, I purchased a Wave antenna that I can move from window to window, depending on where the signal is coming from. But again, I tend to camp remotely....where there are no signals available in the first place. Mother nature is so much better than TV.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We've looked into satellite as we are out there six months a year, not ready yet either.

1. We have used the campground cable at times but they are moving toward wireless signal, I wouldn't install it.

2. Our old style factory antenna works well, but it's a good idea to lower all the way down in heavy wind. Overall this has been our most reliable tv solution.

3. A lot of campers streaming with wireless really bogs down the campground systems, they often seem a step behind the campers' needs even though they say they are upgrading.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Personal opinions,

1. Yes
2. I replaced my OEM antenna head with the King Jack. It easily doubled the number of channels I receive at most locations.
3. No and if it does streaming videos or movies will kill the signal for your fellow campers.

*I will be going with Dish satellite as I get closer to full time. Dish and receiver prices ar dropping. Dish has a monthly use program that seems popular with happy campers.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:17 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Television is not a priority where we usually camp. If we get one broadcast channel thats normally enough for any important emergency news info.
We also have a Weather/emergency radio.

Now music is a different story...ALWAYS take my DVD & music library & Bose Wave.

Plus...at least 'three fingers"

WIFI is not all that important, as my 'smart phone' is still learning.

Bob
Old 09-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If the campground had cable TV and you wanted to plug in, you could run your RG6 cable right out a window...
I have never seen campground Wi-Fi with enough bandwidth to watch streaming video from Netflix...
We have the Winegard TV antenna that goes up and down and rotates, but I wish we had a stationary omni-directional TV antenna.
We do travel with a satellite antenna that we seldom use. When we use it, we bring a satellite receiver from home.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Yes, I would install a CATV jack will it is easy now. We usually watch DVD's when watching, but we usually watch TV in the morning while preparing for the day to catch local weather forecasts, either on cable or over the air. With the modern antennas and digital TV's it is amazing what kind of picture you can get even in some relatively remote campgrounds.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:46 PM   #8
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Run 3/4" (minimum) smurf tubes where ever you want AV/NET/PH port. This will give you lots of flexibility as your needs require.

Since you may not be sure what you want/able/decide yet.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Smurf tube? Assuming the 3/4 inch corrugated blue plastic electrical conduit.

Never heard it called that, but it fits...😀

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Without walls installed, it's a no brain'r, run wires for both cable & satellite then down the road you have every option. Also, a digital over the air antenna on the roof, now you have it all. You're welcome! ��
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #11
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
For me, it's all about options. I changed out the cheesy flying saucer that comes on the new Airstreams with a King Jack. It sucks in weak signals with ease. The trailer also has a cable input, which I've used when/if the CG offers cable. Also installed a Winegard Traveler satellite dish on the roof. Invariably, the best of all signals is from Sat. TV, but you have to be sited somewhere without structures/trees blocking a SW signal. There have been times without any TV at all, and I don't mind that either. We are just back from three solid weeks in the AS -- all New England destinations. There's something really cool about being in a CG without any hookups and being able to enjoy your favorite TV show -- or the news.....depressing as that tends to be.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #12
Good Times!

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Jasper , Georgia
We enjoy having television when it's raining and at night. We have a dish tailgater and like it's portability for getting a signal. It's only $7/month if you have a dish service at home. Downside is signal loss during heavy rain, but then you always have your music, books and games for that. My opinion is it's nice to have it available if you are out for more than a few nights. Our antenna only picks up over the air if we're in the big city, and we try to avoid the concrete jungle at all costs.
great2beadaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
For me, it's all about options. I changed out the cheesy flying saucer that comes on the new Airstreams with a King Jack. It sucks in weak signals with ease. The trailer also has a cable input, which I've used when/if the CG offers cable. Also installed a Winegard Traveler satellite dish on the roof. Invariably, the best of all signals is from Sat. TV, but you have to be sited somewhere without structures/trees blocking a SW signal. There have been times without any TV at all, and I don't mind that either. We are just back from three solid weeks in the AS -- all New England destinations. There's something really cool about being in a CG without any hookups and being able to enjoy your favorite TV show -- or the news.....depressing as that tends to be.
Totally correct. We use a tailgater portable dish & in July we camped in a county park outside Sarasota Springs, CA for 12 nights with limited hook ups & no cell, air TV or cable. Our dish was a godsend for watching the news & just keeping in touch with reality. We like being off the grid, but not to far off!
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I'd recommend at least installing an RG-6 coax for cable TV from somewhere on the outside to the vicinity of the main TV location, another RG-6 from a potential off-air antenna location to the main TV location, and RG-6 coax from there to any other potential TV locations like the bedroom. Also run a 12V power line (low power, #16 probably more than sufficient) to that location to power the antenna preamp. The Sensar and Jack antenna control plates provide power to a preamp in the antenna and provide switching to select between the antenna and the cable input. If you anticipate running the TV from 12V, #14 should be adequate.

Satellite can utilize the cable RG-6 or you could run two RG-6s from the external location to the vicinity of the main TV or where you (or the next owner) might place a satellite receiver and then run HDMI cables from the satellite receiver location to the location of all TVs. If you want to use the cable TV input for satellite, here is a link to a document that describes how I wired my 2001 Safari 25 to do that.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...6&d=1469409767

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
1. Some campgrounds have cable you can plug into - is it worthwhile to install a cable inlet on my trailer?
Yes it's worth while especially since the skins are off right now. You can get one pretty cheap and worth it if you like watching tv.

2. Antennas: Any recommendations on type/brand?
If you have an old winegard on top already you can use that. Or swap out the head of the antenna with a king jack head. They have heads exactly for this. If you are starting from scratch the king jack antennas get good reviews.

3. Netflix: are wireless signals ample enough for this to work in campgrounds?
LMFAOx 100000000.

I know satellite is an option as well, but I don't think that is for us.
You can run cables for it and just leave in place.

I've been traveling since May, only 2 parks I've stayed at offered cable. Most of the time I just use the antenna. Many times no tv antenna signal.
If you really like watching stuff run a HDMI from where the tv will be to where you can put something like a roku, wdtv, or other video player that you can play video from a hard drive or laptop.

Personally I kind of need some background noise so I like to have some tv options. I've been using my laptop and a chromecast, but the chromecast is a bit of a pain. Going to get my roku or wdtv in there with a hard drive loaded up with shows.
Apple TV gets good reviews as being easy to use.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
In AS never. Won't even take tv, go to enjoy out doors not watch tv. To many times I see class A motor homes pull in down go stabilizers chairs set up out side antenna goes up windows covered never see again, I don't camp that way, and did not pur.AS for that kind of use.... Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I don't even watch TV at home...

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:05 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
Thank you all - lots of great options! I think I will definitely lay some cable down to keep my options open.
Greg
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:29 PM   #19
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Smurf tube? Assuming the 3/4 inch corrugated blue plastic electrical conduit.

Never heard it called that, but it fits...😀

If you've been around wires long enough, you pick up a few things. I was a wire monkey when I started in the AV industry, never heard of it called other than "smurf tube". Since the OP has open walls, this would be best thing for OP to do. As OP travels and lives in the AS, OP will learn what is required to live as OP see fit.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
How do you watch television?

Yup. Biggest thing with the tubing is to be sure the bends total less than 270 degrees, else the wire can't be pushed or pulled into it.

I've fallen on my sword on that issue just once...

Never heard it called 'Smurf Tube' but I've run miles of it. Much easier than other methods if you plan it right.

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote