Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Help with TV/DVD/Monitor

I want to put a flat screen TV/DVD/PCMonitor in my 87 34' mounted on the wall between the living area and the dinnette that will swivel to be seen from the kitchen or the living area. I would appreciate any recommendations on brand, size, type etc
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Hey tsl: I have a samsung 26" flat panel lcd in my 32' excella.It weighs 30 lbs. I use it for monitor, flight sim and watching cd's and some actual television.I'm building a drop down slot so the thing will be hidden behind the forward dinnette seat. out of site and safely stowed for towing. I looked at mounting things available and besides being pricey they seemed to not be secure enough to deal with the travel environment.I'm quite happy with my samsung. they also make a nice 23" unit.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Tv

Thx guy. Do you have a separate DVD or built in the TV? My first thought was it would be convenient to have all in one, however since I posted I've called a local electronics dealer I trust and was advised not to get the all in one. If the DVD portion goes bad, even a stuck CD, then it can ruined your entire system. I will have to measure my space, 26' seems large for the counter we have between the dinette and living room, but then I would assume it would be as large as yours.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #4
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Television is 26" wide,19 1/2" tall and only 4" deep.If sitting on the gaucho looking into the dinnette area- imagine a space where the monitor could slip down into the back of the dinnette frame.Pop it up and the screen is facing the gaucho, a lazy susan thing will allow the monitor to swivel. My CPU plays DVD, as well as a lot of music I have on my computer library. I also use for speakers a creative labs sub woofer with 2 remote speakers. I'm pretty much remodeling my AS from the bath forward so things are custom.I'm just in the mock up design now or else I would send a pic. I'm using parts from a company called 80-20. you can google them, all kinds of aluminum extrusions and trick fittings. Quality products.

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 01-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Got a new 20" LCD for my 24ft Argosy. It's plenty big enough for me in this size trailer. I'm having some trouble with the swing out mounting bracket. It allows the set to tilt, now that's all it does. The weight of the LCD is well within the limits of this bracket, but it won't hold it anyway. I checked with AS and their bracket for this set is $345.00 plus shipping. I could just get another LCD for that price and put it in the front. I'm taking the bracket I have to a machine shop to have a set screw inserted that will allow my set "not" to tilt. My set is a Sylvania and it has a great picture. Have it hooked up to the satillite dish and a DVD player that's located in the overhead cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0411.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	30483  
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
nice varnish!!

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 01-08-2007, 12:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
More info PLEASE!!!!????

Juel -

Just got back from 10 days with the kids in SilverToy. NO TV. Did have a lap top 4 movies,etc.... but still thinking about adding the TV option....?!

Could you please expound on your 20" option? Your mounting bracket, and the like...? Photos would help as well as I am a little limited in space. Was thinking of a top/drop down mounting on a front cabinet, with a rotating possibility to the dinette or the front goucho. Is this possible with your mount? Still happy with the TV? Any issues?? How is the AS antennea - or is it something else?

All input welcomed. Factor8man@yahoo.com is something outside general info is needed.

Thanks!! Happy New Year!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Got a new 20" LCD for my 24ft Argosy.
Very cool. We have the same floorplan and we're thinking that would be the ideal location for an LCD. How did you beef up the closet bulkhead? I'm concerned about adding that much weight, especially on a moving arm.

Dissapointing that the mount has an issue with the tilt. As much as those stinking things cost you'd expect them to work well. I mean they're almost as much as the LCD screen.

What's your scheme for securing the TV when in transit?

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Well about securing while in transit....I just decided to be very safe and take the TV off the bracket and put it on the bed. Made me feel better about towing. As for beefing up that back wall we put 3/4 plywood backing in the back closet, secured it to that wall and installed the bracket on the wall. It's surprisingly strong and rigid. I would not feel bad about towing with the LCD on the bracket except for the problem we're having with that tilt feature. Once I get a set screw in so the LCD won't tilt, I may do the velcro thing and leave the TV in place when towing. Probably not, one bump and I'd be back there checking to see if I still had a TV. With a smaller TV I might feel more secure. HEY, I just noticed you have the same trailer I do. They are nice aren't they?
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Alameda , California
At home I have an Omnimount FP-CL cantilever arm with a 32" set, and I recently installed one for a friend's 37" set. They require two extremely solid 3/8th bolts or screws about 6 inches apart vertically, but the arm itself is very strong & secure (even though it's quite alarming to be hanging your TV 3-4 feet away from the wall). At home mine is mounted with bolts through a closet door; my friend's I put with two (enormous) screws into a vertical stud in the wall, and both seem completely secure.

I was planning a similar mount in the trailer onto a floor-to-ceiling post in a cabinet, where I could fold it flat sideways and pull it out to either face forward or backward. The FP-CL is ideal for this I think. To secure it I was thinking of using velcro or quick-release connected straps against the wall.
Jacob D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:55 PM   #11
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Google television lifts- there is a ton of stuff to choose from!Something for everyone. I'm with you juel, put that unit on the bed when travelling. Just a small amount of movement really increases the load applied to the mount. I had a G meter in my hand today and jumped up and down once the reading was 4 g's!So whatever you get remember to secute the screen prior to towing.Hope this helps. Tim

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )