Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Blue ray player no wifi, too bad

It's unfortunate that the Samsung bd5100 blue ray player in my 2015 intl doesn't have any type of wifi in board.

Apparently it has a wired network port on the back, but of course you can't reach it without taking the cabinet apart.

The opera hub inside the player has Netflix, and my current campground says their wifi is good for it, but alas... can't get there from here.

Wonder if any one has replaced it with a player that has built in wifi?

Also trying to figure out the best way to setup a plea on board. We always travel with our MacBook pros, could plex on an external drive.... but how to get to the tvs?

Could Apple TV to an hdmi splitter to the DVD player? Wouldn't I then need a wifi router on board though?

Any tips on the subject?
Old 10-08-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Why not just go to one of the aux HDMI inputs on the main TV? Or do you want to be able to send it to either of the TVs? Or go with a wireless HDMI option, like: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the...o-transmitter/. I had considered HDMI to Cat5 on our old MH, but sold it before I did it. You could put a HDMI switcher to the HDMI cable currently connected & then feed it all through that. The issue that I've always had is that I hardly ever come across a campground wifi that is sufficient for streaming. And we're all addicted to streaming media these days. Running your own media server is an option, but that seems like going backwards by a few years. Plenty of other direct cabling solutions from you mac, phone, tablet to HDMI. The interconnect is the easy part. Getting the media is harder since there is no way I'm putting a Drobo in the airstream. Wonder how many netflix movies I could stream from my "unlimited" data ATT account on my phone before the caps prevent it. Good luck!
caseywsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
I run Plex on a Synology box at home, so just before a trip I copy my media library onto a 1TB backup drive. In the trailer, I plug in the backup drive to the Samsung DVD player's USB port to play my media on the TV. The interface isn't as clean as Plex, but I've always been able to find what I wanted.

I don't even try to use a campground's Wifi since my streaming experiences have always resulted in failure. Often, the campground's Wifi prohibits reliable web browsing so I've given up and use either my ATT phone's tethering option or a Verizon hotspot for internet access.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:59 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
I run Plex on a Synology box at home, so just before a trip I copy my media library onto a 1TB backup drive. In the trailer, I plug in the backup drive to the Samsung DVD player's USB port to play my media on the TV. The interface isn't as clean as Plex, but I've always been able to find what I wanted.

I don't even try to use a campground's Wifi since my streaming experiences have always resulted in failure. Often, the campground's Wifi prohibits reliable web browsing so I've given up and use either my ATT phone's tethering option or a Verizon hotspot for internet access.
That's the way isn't it. I did read in the blue ray player manual that you could plug a USB device into the front and play media from it. That sounds like the easy ticket right there.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:08 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
That's the way isn't it. I did read in the blue ray player manual that you could plug a USB device into the front and play media from it. That sounds like the easy ticket right there.
You just need to convert your movies into the right format for the DVD player to recognize the files.
Troy McLure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #6
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
set this to bridge mode to Convert WiFi to Hardwired. TP-Link N150 Wireless Travel Router, Nano Size, Router/AP/Client/Bridge/Repeater Modes, Up to 150Mbps, USB Powered (TL-WR702N) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PTCFFW..._YWN-xb20T6RCE
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Roku

Would a Roku or something similar work if connected to the television?
Lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Seminole , Florida
I couldn't believe they chintzed out for about $20 bucks difference. I changed it out to a 5200 It was closest to the same size.About $50. Takes about an hour, only because you have to make the sides of the hole slightly bigger and move some stop blocks to hold it in I'd also advise you to route the extra wires for SAT and Bluetooth to the outside of the case so you won't have to later. Works great, but the sites don't like you streaming Netflix from theirWIFI.
GandW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:45 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Gilbert , Arizona
Roku

We have Roku devices plugged into both TVs and they work great. We also hooked up a Bluetooth speaker via the optical port on the tv in the bedroom so my wife can have the speaker in the bathroom with her while getting ready in the morning. We turn the bedroom TV around so she can see it from the bathroom.
holmesaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:57 PM   #10
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GandW View Post
I couldn't believe they chintzed out for about $20 bucks difference. I changed it out to a 5200 It was closest to the same size.About $50. Takes about an hour, only because you have to make the sides of the hole slightly bigger and move some stop blocks to hold it in I'd also advise you to route the extra wires for SAT and Bluetooth to the outside of the case so you won't have to later. Works great, but the sites don't like you streaming Netflix from theirWIFI.
It has been my experience that all it takes is a couple of inconsiderate people using all the band width to stream video at a campground to make the Wi-Fi extremely slow for everyone else.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:30 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
If there's a USB port accessible, you might have success with a USB ~ Bluetooth WiFi dongle (they're relatively inexpensive). As mentioned, MANY RV park WiFi services would NOT support video streaming without a LOT of buffering.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #12
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Is It courteous to stream using RV Park Wifi?

Is it courteous to stream using RV park's wifi? In my opinion, 'no'. Why? It often leads to a bad wifi experience for everybody else. Are there exceptions?
Of course - go for it if you are the only RV at the campground.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
It has been my experience that the wifi at almost all campgrounds has been sketchy for simply web browsing, much less for streaming media & even worse if you ever want to send data upstream (like a video conference). There are exceptions. For instance Tiger Run in Breckenridge has done extensive reworking of their network that supports all of these things. Here's the question/comment ... it's 2016 and while we've been conditioned to not use or depend on the wifi, shouldn't we really be expecting more out of the host campgrounds. The cost is trivial and our entertainment/communication/work needs are increasingly internet centric. Of course you'd be correct in pointing out that it would be far better to go out the door, sit by the campground & pick up the guitar! I have the same complaint about hotels and admit that I'm spoiled with Google Fiber where I not only get a true gigabit down, but amazingly almost a full gigabit up.
caseywsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:12 PM   #14
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I never expect to get decent WiFi in campgrounds. Rarely am I "surprised" to find that isn't the case. Even the cable TV signal (if they have it) is decent. Fortunately, I can usually get either off air TV or DirecTV with my Travl'r satellite dish. The TV isn't a big deal except for watching the news or hanging out when you have the inevitable rainy day. Since the trailer is equipped with Sirius XM....which works 99.9% of the time, we're usually good. I confess, though, that at home I really like having fiber optic speed.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Personally, when I go out with the AS I really don't need tv or wifi. What little email I may need is on my smart phone.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Samsung makes a wifi dongle that fits in the USB port for my Blue Ray player. This might work for you. https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-WIS...blu+ray+player

I used it to watch Netflix last weekend using my iPhone as my hot spot.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote