Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Bedroom TV interference w/ satellite dish up

A couple of us recently installed satellite dish antennas and when up and running our bedroom TVs don't get a clear reception like they do when our factory antenna is receiving the signal. The main salon TVs work great with the dish up; however, when we watch the TV in the bedroom, with or without the salon TV on, we get an unclear picture. It's watchable but has obvious interference. Is there a filter we should be using to improve the picture? Have any of you had a similar experience and if so how did you solve the problem? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Dick,
I talked to the tech at MotoSat today while driving back from the beach. He said that it might be the Airstream wiring internally from the front control box to the rear TV is getting inteference like being to close to the furnace, refer etc. I have a call into Ricky at ODM also. One obvious solution is adding a separate Direct TV receiver in the back for just that TV at $4.99 a month.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Knowing Ricky, he'll come up with some ideas. Thanks for "Birdoging" it with MotoSat Stewart. We'll get to the bottom of it.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
A couple of us recently installed satellite dish antennas and when up and running our bedroom TVs don't get a clear reception like they do when our factory antenna is receiving the signal. The main salon TVs work great with the dish up; however, when we watch the TV in the bedroom, with or without the salon TV on, we get an unclear picture. It's watchable but has obvious interference. Is there a filter we should be using to improve the picture? Have any of you had a similar experience and if so how did you solve the problem? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I'm uncertain as to what sort of coaxial cable is in your TT now, or what Airstream has been using in recent years. page 131 of the 2004 Classic Owners Manual Airstream, Inc :: Travel Trailer Manuals has a drawing that seems to indicate a 1999 upgrade from RG-59 to RG-8/U cable, but the drawing notes vs. the drawing itself is unclear to me. RG-59 cabling, for your desired use, is generally inadequate.

in residential and commercial applications for satellite, cabletv, FIOS, etc. sources, we spec RG-8/U quad shield wiring throughout, including from tuner boxes to the sets (presuming that the box & TV don't have HDMI connections.)

if there are any splitters, amplifiers or other devices in your wiring, they need to be "rated" for satellite signal, or at least 2 Ghz bandwith. a 1 Ghz device won't adequately pass a satellite signal properly, so you might want to check the plates on those devices. that same drawing also refers to a "booster" which may be tucked away somewhere.

otherwise, if there are any additional unused TV "outlets", they need to have an "F-Series Terminator" screwed into it, like these IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. - F-Conn.Terminators, 10/card think of it like capping an open ended water hose.

hope that this is helpful....

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Thanks Joseph. The wiring definitely crossed my mind at one point. We do have the booster and leave it turned off for the Sat ops. I'll do my best to check out the external wiring at this point and see what I can come up with.