Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Appliance Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Should this touch the top of the fridge....

Ok I pulled my fridge out, it is not original..... The top of the fridge doesn't touch to bottom of the vent.. Here is a pic.. The fridge is off to the right but is a good 6 inches lower.... I wanted to raise the fridge up of the floor about 4 inches or so....

SHOULD IT TOUCH the vent>>>>????? I can raise it all the way....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4325.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	68131  

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
The whole back of the fridge should be ducted to the upper vent. You are most likely getting combustion gas by products in the living portion of the trailer. Air should come in through the bottom or the bottom side and be able to pass around the coils taking the combustion gas out through the top vent. It looks like a good time to raise that fridge and seal the space. Good thing you found this.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Yeah they had all that red tape around it to seal it in i think... I will make sure I seal it right... thanks...

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Ok I pulled my fridge out, it is not original..... The top of the fridge doesn't touch to bottom of the vent.. Here is a pic.. The fridge is off to the right but is a good 6 inches lower.... I wanted to raise the fridge up of the floor about 4 inches or so....

SHOULD IT TOUCH the vent>>>>????? I can raise it all the way....
You must use the reefer vent and it must be properly sealed so that the exhaust from the reefer burner does not come into the trailer.

Sometimes the old reefer scoops become very brittle and crack all over the place.

We have replacement reefer scoops made with fiberglass, and gel coated an ivory color.

Andy

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Hey Andy, it has a new one on the top do you have them for the inside.. Or was this what you were talking about...

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
On mine the counter top is touching or laying on the top of the fridge. the cream colored duct is flush with the bottom of the counter top. Nothing is really sealed, off to the left side of the duct up against the back wall is a 3 -4 inch hole with a cover in the counter top. this is access to clean the flue pipe.Mine is not really sealed or ducted except by all the cabinets.
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Thats how this one seem to be.... cabinets touched the two sides and vented out the top

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-24-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Hey Andy, it has a new one on the top do you have them for the inside.. Or was this what you were talking about...
All the heat and fumes from the reefer burner, should exit the trailer via the reefer flue.

We have them made to fit the shortest of reefers. When used on a taller reefer, simply cut off the excess.

http://www.inlandrv.com/parts/83825-refridge-scoop.jpg

Andy
Old 09-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I thought vendors weren't allowed to direct people to their website for sales on the forums?
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
I noticed you have a very nice 2007 Airstream so you probably aren't in the market for vintage parts. My I please say that Andy is very helpful here on the forum and eager to share his knowledge and expertise about Airstreams.

We like others have an older Airstream and need parts. Inland RV carries many of the things we need and in some case's are the only ones that carry replacement parts. I could spend all day on the Internet searching for parts and end up at Inland RV anyway.

When he gives advise and tells you what you need to fix something you are not obligated in any way to by from him. You can go on the internet and try to find the part other places. Your option.

We haven't ordered anything from them yet but am always looking for things we will need in the future. I feel secure in knowing that Andy and Inland RV are here for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
I thought vendors weren't allowed to direct people to their website for sales on the forums?
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Read the forum rules. "Commerical vendors may not use the forums to direct others to ANY pages at their commerical website in which they have a commerical interest." Seems pretty clear to me.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Commercial vendors

I don't believe that the real intent of that rule, was to ask Commercial vendors, to spend time, money, and effort, answering hundreds of questions from hundreds of members, and to expect nothing in return.

The commercial vendors simply answer question, with perhaps a link.

Additionally, if members expect commercial vendors to spend tons of time, answering questions, researching answers to questions, providing years of technical knowledge so that some members can be a DIY, without letting them know at least to some degree what that vender has to offer in equipment or parts, then I think that every commercial member would drop from this Forums like a heart beat.

Soliciting is a horse of a different color.

Providing information, along with a descriptive link, helps answer questions.

Andy
Old 09-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Centralia , Washington
Just my opinion, but I've always felt that there is a large difference between spam, and legitimate posts.

I think that the post in question is certainly of the later sort. In my view as a reader Andy was explaining how the refer should be set up, and provided some information on a part that would do it. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, and to me anyway, I had a better understanding as a result of being able to see the pic.

Again, just my opinion, but if the rules are written in such a way that useful help posts are disallowed because of concerns over spam, perhaps the rule should be modified a touch.

Lastly, I would like to touch upon Andy and his posts here.

I have an old trailer which I would be too intimidated to work on if it were not for this forum, but also, very specifically for Andy's Inland RV posts. I would very likely be paying someone to make small repairs which would be intimidating to me had Andy not posted something about them in the past.
www.cameron-bailey.com
73Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
Hi craftsman; Why not, if someone needs help? Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
I don't believe that the real intent of that rule, was to ask Commercial vendors, to spend time, money, and effort, answering hundreds of questions from hundreds of members, and to expect nothing in return.

The commercial vendors simply answer question, with perhaps a link.

Additionally, if members expect commercial vendors to spend tons of time, answering questions, researching answers to questions, providing years of technical knowledge so that some members can be a DIY, without letting them know at least to some degree what that vender has to offer in equipment or parts, then I think that every commercial member would drop from this Forums like a heart beat.

Soliciting is a horse of a different color.

Providing information, along with a descriptive link, helps answer questions.

Andy
Geee Andy; All this time I thought you were on the forums just to get our advise, ha ha. "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote