Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Question Dometic Extended Warranties

As my new trailer warranty comes to an end, I still have a year left on the refrigerator and heat pump. Dometic is offering to extend each for another three years for $229.85 and $157.95 respectively, for a total of six years.

Normally, I don't purchase extended warranties, because they are mostly pure profit for the manufacturers. So far, knock on wood, I can say that had I purchased the extended warranty on anything, it would have never been used, and just been a bad bet on my part.

What's the forum opinion on these appliances in our trailers? Are they as reliable as they seem? Are these extended warranties worth the cost or just another profit scheme by the manufacturer?

Thanks for your input,

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Randy. Yes, this has gotten infernal when you're almost offered a warranty on a screwdriver. I can't remember the last small Best Buy purchase where they still offered...

But your question goes more to the issue of your Dometic's reliability. I generally feel that successful operation during the basic warranty period is an indication I didn't get a lemon. Therefore I assume there is a high chance that the next 2, 3 or 4 years will pass smoothly. On this item and the next few warranties you'd be offered, you would lay out some significant money -- almost enough to replace one major item if it failed. For this reason I like to 'self insure' and forego the warranty. I've done this on many major and technical pieces of equipment. You know what? Not a single one of them has failed!

Go buy yourself and Pat a nice dinner at double your normal budget! You're just rollin' in all that cash, mon!!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree with Bob. For something like this, I self insure it.

Now only if we could get a 5 year warranty on the Airstream itself.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote