Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
East Lawrencetown , Nova Scotia
Where the heck is the 50A fuse in a '73 Ambassador???

Okay, I've searched the '73 Airstream operator's manual and the 73 factory shop manual and no where does it give the slightest hint where I would find it.

On my 1973 29' Ambassador with rear bath, everything works fine on 120V shore power but I get nothing on battery power. I'm sure this fuse is the culprit, but I can't see it and I don't know where to look for it.

The schematic shows it between the battery and the Univolt, but the wiring is concealed behind all manner of non-removable obstacles. Can anyone tell me what I have to dismantel to get access to this fuse??

Thanks.
Vic

1968 Chevrolet C-20
CF Av8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
near the battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF Av8or View Post
Okay, I've searched the '73 Airstream operator's manual and the 73 factory shop manual and no where does it give the slightest hint where I would find it.

On my 1973 29' Ambassador with rear bath, everything works fine on 120V shore power but I get nothing on battery power. I'm sure this fuse is the culprit, but I can't see it and I don't know where to look for it.

The schematic shows it between the battery and the Univolt, but the wiring is concealed behind all manner of non-removable obstacles. Can anyone tell me what I have to dismantel to get access to this fuse??

Thanks.
Vic
Vic,
It is near the battery as a in-line setup. It is a single fuse in a black plastic holder mounted on a small piece of wood. Follow the ground wire from the battery. It is a ground fuse.

As hard as it is to get out of it's holder, you need to take it out of the holder to test it.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:12 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Vic,

I don't know if your 73 Amabassador is similar to my 75 Sovereign. However the access to the fusses on mine was obtained by lifting up the closet floor and through a small access panel in the curbside closet just ahead of the tub. On mine the Univolt is actually under the bath tub.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I have found them in a ceramic fuse holder screwed to the floor in the back of a closet similiar to the post above, That was in a 72 or 73 safari.
You need to physically follow the negative battery lead until you make it all the way to body ground.
There does not seem to be a lot of consistency in the way these were done
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote