Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Conestoga , Pennsylvania
Cool Using shore power w/o batteries 1989 Excella 1000

I need some advice...

I have removed the marine batteries from my 1989 32ft. Excella 1000 for the winter. I turned off the master switch to the batteries in order to remove them. However, I want to continue use of the AC shore power w/o batteries. Do I need to turn the Master Switch to the "ON" position before connecting to shore power. What would happen to the circuits if I did not move the switch to the "ON" position prior to plugging into shore power?

The Univolt system seemed to be working nicely when the batteries were connected and on shore power.

Please advise me on the sequence of removing the batteries and then connecting shore power via the Master Switch to the batteries.

Thanks,
VA
GAPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello GAPeach -- Welcome to the Forums! People like Inland Andy have posted about this. I can't tell you about the details but the inverter is not supposed to be run without the battery properly connected. Your battery cables would still be hot! Keep them separated. Let me post here to keep this post alive.

I did as you ask a little with my Argosy and didn't notice anything extraordinary. Until more knowledgeable people post I'll just say it won't be Ghostbusters* bad but there is a downside. IIRC lights would burn out in the short term. My recall is it wouldn't be a thing you'd want to do regularly.

* from "Ghostbusters" --
Dr. Peter Venkman
: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath-of-God type stuff.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling.
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria.
CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAPeach
I need some advice...

I have removed the marine batteries from my 1989 32ft. Excella 1000 for the winter. I turned off the master switch to the batteries in order to remove them. However, I want to continue use of the AC shore power w/o batteries. Do I need to turn the Master Switch to the "ON" position before connecting to shore power. What would happen to the circuits if I did not move the switch to the "ON" position prior to plugging into shore power.

Thanks,
VA
With the switch off, you would have power to the 110 plugs. The lights are 12 volt so won't work unless you turn the switch on. Then you would have unfiltered voltage that may overheat the 12 volt items and the battery cables would be live so tape them so they don't short out.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Conestoga , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Hello GAPeach -- Welcome to the Forums! People like Inland Andy have posted about this. I can't tell you about the details but the inverter is not supposed to be run without the battery properly connected. Your battery cables would still be hot! Keep them separated. Let me post here to keep this post alive.

I did as you ask a little with my Argosy and didn't notice anything extraordinary. Until more knowledgeable people post I'll just say it won't be Ghostbusters* bad but there is a downside. IIRC lights would burn out in the short term. My recall is it wouldn't be a thing you'd want to do regularly.

* from "Ghostbusters" --
Dr. Peter Venkman
: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath-of-God type stuff.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling.
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria.
Thanks for your replies. As best as I can surmise from your info, I need to leave the master switch in the "off" position and just use the AC lights, etc. Also, I will make sure the battery cables will be taped seperately so they don't short out anything! Lastly, I could turn the switch "on" and use dc circuits at the risk of overheating them with unfiltered voltage thusly generating a very short life for the bulbs. Did I get it right?

In hindsight, I would have been better off to leave the batteries in over the winter at the risk of the the cells freezing. I love the learning curve.
GAPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAPeach
Thanks for your replies. As best as I can surmise from your info, I need to leave the master switch in the "off" position and just use the AC lights, etc. Also, I will make sure the battery cables will be taped seperately so they don't short out anything! Lastly, I could turn the switch "on" and use dc circuits at the risk of overheating them with unfiltered voltage thusly generating a very short life for the bulbs. Did I get it right?

In hindsight, I would have been better off to leave the batteries in over the winter at the risk of the the cells freezing. I love the learning curve.
The battery won't freeze if it is charged, Just plug it in once in a while and keep them charged. Saves a lot of trouble moving them in and out.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote