Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-29-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
GAPeach
 
GAPeach's Avatar
 
1989 32' Excella
Palatka , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6
Cool Using shore power w/o batteries 1989 Excella 1000

I need some advice...


I have removed the marine batteries from my 1989 32ft. Excella 1000 for the winter. I turned off the master switch to the batteries in order to remove them. However, I want to continue use of the AC shore power w/o batteries. Do I need to turn the Master Switch to the "ON" position before connecting to shore power. What would happen to the circuits if I did not move the switch to the "ON" position prior to plugging into shore power?


The Univolt system seemed to be working nicely when the batteries were connected and on shore power.

Please advise me on the sequence of removing the batteries and then connecting shore power via the Master Switch to the batteries.


Thanks,
VA
__________________

__________________
GAPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
Moderator
 
CanoeStream's Avatar

 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 13,280
Images: 19
Blog Entries: 3
Hello GAPeach -- Welcome to the Forums! People like Inland Andy have posted about this. I can't tell you about the details but the inverter is not supposed to be run without the battery properly connected. Your battery cables would still be hot! Keep them separated. Let me post here to keep this post alive.

I did as you ask a little with my Argosy and didn't notice anything extraordinary. Until more knowledgeable people post I'll just say it won't be Ghostbusters* bad but there is a downside. IIRC lights would burn out in the short term. My recall is it wouldn't be a thing you'd want to do regularly.


* from "Ghostbusters" --
Dr. Peter Venkman
: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath-of-God type stuff.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling.
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria.
__________________

__________________
CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Shacksman's Avatar
 
1960 28' Ambassador
1962 16' Bambi
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAPeach
I need some advice...


I have removed the marine batteries from my 1989 32ft. Excella 1000 for the winter. I turned off the master switch to the batteries in order to remove them. However, I want to continue use of the AC shore power w/o batteries. Do I need to turn the Master Switch to the "ON" position before connecting to shore power. What would happen to the circuits if I did not move the switch to the "ON" position prior to plugging into shore power.


Thanks,
VA
With the switch off, you would have power to the 110 plugs. The lights are 12 volt so won't work unless you turn the switch on. Then you would have unfiltered voltage that may overheat the 12 volt items and the battery cables would be live so tape them so they don't short out.
__________________
Doug
VAC - TAC ON-1
62 Bambi
60 Ambassador Int.
98 Safari
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
GAPeach
 
GAPeach's Avatar
 
1989 32' Excella
Palatka , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Hello GAPeach -- Welcome to the Forums! People like Inland Andy have posted about this. I can't tell you about the details but the inverter is not supposed to be run without the battery properly connected. Your battery cables would still be hot! Keep them separated. Let me post here to keep this post alive.

I did as you ask a little with my Argosy and didn't notice anything extraordinary. Until more knowledgeable people post I'll just say it won't be Ghostbusters* bad but there is a downside. IIRC lights would burn out in the short term. My recall is it wouldn't be a thing you'd want to do regularly.


* from "Ghostbusters" --
Dr. Peter Venkman
: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath-of-God type stuff.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies. Rivers and seas boiling.
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness. Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria.
Thanks for your replies. As best as I can surmise from your info, I need to leave the master switch in the "off" position and just use the AC lights, etc. Also, I will make sure the battery cables will be taped seperately so they don't short out anything! Lastly, I could turn the switch "on" and use dc circuits at the risk of overheating them with unfiltered voltage thusly generating a very short life for the bulbs. Did I get it right?

In hindsight, I would have been better off to leave the batteries in over the winter at the risk of the the cells freezing. I love the learning curve.
__________________
GAPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Shacksman's Avatar
 
1960 28' Ambassador
1962 16' Bambi
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAPeach
Thanks for your replies. As best as I can surmise from your info, I need to leave the master switch in the "off" position and just use the AC lights, etc. Also, I will make sure the battery cables will be taped seperately so they don't short out anything! Lastly, I could turn the switch "on" and use dc circuits at the risk of overheating them with unfiltered voltage thusly generating a very short life for the bulbs. Did I get it right?

In hindsight, I would have been better off to leave the batteries in over the winter at the risk of the the cells freezing. I love the learning curve.
The battery won't freeze if it is charged, Just plug it in once in a while and keep them charged. Saves a lot of trouble moving them in and out.
__________________
Doug
VAC - TAC ON-1
62 Bambi
60 Ambassador Int.
98 Safari
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shore Power Again The Flintstones Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 13 10-09-2007 07:18 PM
Best batteries for 29' Excella 1000 Anniedog Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 5 09-25-2007 05:18 AM
1989 Airstream Mtrhm 345LE coach batteries Turtle One Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes 16 06-20-2007 06:53 PM
Shore power and battery power problems jfremstad Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 5 05-03-2007 08:23 AM





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.
Modal Click