Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
 
gklott's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 409
Images: 57
Stay away from Magnum MMS-1012 inverter chargers

Purchased Magnum MMS-1012-G inverter charger on April 13, 2016. On April 19, 2018, while operating in normal charger mode - no inverter operating - the device started sizzling and smoke appeared. We were doing nothing to the electrical system when it failed.

First, the Magnum inverter is unreliable, as it only lasted 6 days beyond the 2-year warranty. It was in an open space with plenty of ventilation - since the cabinet is not even enclosed yet. Used the inverter several times to recharge our Apple laptop - no other loads. Trailer is on a Progressive Dynamics EMS-PT50X Portable EMS-PT50X RV surge protector. Nothing else in our trailer or home has any power problems.

Second, the Magnum inverter has a ridiculous repair cost. After calling Magnum for repair service, I took the unit to Texas Mobile Power, which Magnum identified as their local repair service. Troubleshooting identified that the AC and FET board smoked. Repair price:
Replacement board = $519
Labor = $125
Tax = $53.13
Total = $697.12
Can speak highly of Texas Mobile Power. They are super responsive. Could repair the unit in a single day.

My original MMS 1012-G purchase price was $849 plus $210 for advanced remote control - $1059 total - purchased via Amazon. Repair is 82% of new price.

Third, I called Magnum customer service technical support. The representative confirmed that repairing a Magnum RV inverter often costs more than buying a new one. He quoted the FET board at near $700. He said that is a common failure on the smaller units.

My conclusion is to stay away from any Magnum product. The original cost is far too high given the unreliable design, short warranty, and terrible repair costs. By design and policy, Magnum inverters have a throw-away repair product.

Am replacing the charging function with a Sterling Power Pro Charge Ultra, 12V x 60A battery charger with a 5 year warranty. This is the most installed yacht-size marine charger in the world and supports up to 3 different batteries simultaneously. Has 11 pre-programmed battery charge curves, including LiPO4, GEL, AGM, Calcium, and Flooded Lead Acid Batteries. Cost is $520 with remote control.

Am replacing the inverter with a Xantrex 806-1210 PROwatt SW 1000, $285 plus transfer switch and remote control. Total $372.

My new system total cost is $167 less than the Magnum.

Expensive lesson learned. Wish the best for other Magnum owners.

73/gus
__________________

__________________
Gus - KR4K : Mary - K5MCL
2004 30ft. Classic
2017 Infiniti QX80 Limited
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #2
formerly Xipper
 
2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 434
Thanks for the feedback, I just sent this to a buddy who is spec'ing a power system out for a mobile food service truck and had been looking at this very exact Magnum. He is now swayed that Victron is worth the cost difference since failures would cause loss of $$, and a few days of being offline would more than have paid for any savings.
__________________

SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
KJRitchie's Avatar
 
2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,275
I've had mine, not the G model, for almost two years. What I don't like about the 1012 is the AC transfer is only 15 amps. The beochure for this model stated 20 amps but the specs in the user manual shows 15 amps Tripped the internal breaker one day when I ad a ceramic heater running then turned on the microwave when we were on shore power. Thinking of swapping it out with a Magnum MS 2000 (30 amp transfer)since I have the ME-RC monitor. Will also look into a separate charger and separate inverter configuration too.

Kelvin
__________________
2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:26 AM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,593
Images: 1
Thumbs down Just my experience....

Our Zantrex converter 'upgrade' failed on it's first use, leaving us with charge by 2000i for 14 daze. 👎😡👎

Bob
🇱🇷
__________________
Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland. 😘
RLC


ďItís a crooked piece of time that we live inÖ.Ē
John Prine

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:05 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
 
2007 28' International CCD
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 313
Images: 1
I have a Magnum 3000 Watt inverter charger and am very happy with it.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:33 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
Middletown , Maryland
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I've had mine, not the G model, for almost two years. What I don't like about the 1012 is the AC transfer is only 15 amps. The beochure for this model stated 20 amps but the specs in the user manual shows 15 amps Tripped the internal breaker one day when I ad a ceramic heater running then turned on the microwave when we were on shore power. Thinking of swapping it out with a Magnum MS 2000 (30 amp transfer)since I have the ME-RC monitor. Will also look into a separate charger and separate inverter configuration too.

Kelvin
Kelvin,

We have the MS2000 and it is a very nice unit.

I have all shore/genset power going thru it and then to our 30A main breaker. That way we can run whatever we want (assuming enough battery power).

We use it to run a coffee maker; 1,825 watt microwave; 1,850 watt hair dryer, and many smaller loads. It barely gets warm.

IMO, the 1012 is simply to small (physically).

We paid about $1,320 for the MS2000.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:37 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
Middletown , Maryland
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Our Zantrex converter 'upgrade' failed on it's first use, leaving us with charge by 2000i for 14 daze. 👎😡👎

Bob
🇱🇷
I would avoid Xantrex, at least most models. They are essentially disposable outside of warranty.

Better to pay more up front for Magnum Energy (or some other reliable unit).

Again, I think the 1012 may be too small. I'm referring to the full-size Magnum inverters with built-in ventilation fans.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:39 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
Middletown , Maryland
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
I have a Magnum 3000 Watt inverter charger and am very happy with it.
Magnum has earned a very good reputation.

IDK much about the 1012. It may be their attempt to compete with Xantrex and other less expensive competitors.

Their full-size units are all but bulletproof.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:43 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
Middletown , Maryland
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I've had mine, not the G model, for almost two years. What I don't like about the 1012 is the AC transfer is only 15 amps. The beochure for this model stated 20 amps but the specs in the user manual shows 15 amps Tripped the internal breaker one day when I ad a ceramic heater running then turned on the microwave when we were on shore power. Thinking of swapping it out with a Magnum MS 2000 (30 amp transfer)since I have the ME-RC monitor. Will also look into a separate charger and separate inverter configuration too.

Kelvin
I was surprised to see the 15A output breaker.

The transfer switch (ATS) is rated for 20A continuous, and the input breaker is 20A.

Our MS2000 has 30A breakers and a 30A ATS.

I can't imagine why Magnum would use a 15A breaker on the output.

It seems like the 1012 isn't their best effort.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:48 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
Middletown , Maryland
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
Purchased Magnum MMS-1012-G inverter charger on April 13, 2016. On April 19, 2018, while operating in normal charger mode - no inverter operating - the device started sizzling and smoke appeared. We were doing nothing to the electrical system when it failed.

First, the Magnum inverter is unreliable, as it only lasted 6 days beyond the 2-year warranty. It was in an open space with plenty of ventilation - since the cabinet is not even enclosed yet. Used the inverter several times to recharge our Apple laptop - no other loads. Trailer is on a Progressive Dynamics EMS-PT50X Portable EMS-PT50X RV surge protector. Nothing else in our trailer or home has any power problems.

Second, the Magnum inverter has a ridiculous repair cost. After calling Magnum for repair service, I took the unit to Texas Mobile Power, which Magnum identified as their local repair service. Troubleshooting identified that the AC and FET board smoked. Repair price:
Replacement board = $519
Labor = $125
Tax = $53.13
Total = $697.12
Can speak highly of Texas Mobile Power. They are super responsive. Could repair the unit in a single day.

My original MMS 1012-G purchase price was $849 plus $210 for advanced remote control - $1059 total - purchased via Amazon. Repair is 82% of new price.

Third, I called Magnum customer service technical support. The representative confirmed that repairing a Magnum RV inverter often costs more than buying a new one. He quoted the FET board at near $700. He said that is a common failure on the smaller units.

My conclusion is to stay away from any Magnum product. The original cost is far too high given the unreliable design, short warranty, and terrible repair costs. By design and policy, Magnum inverters have a throw-away repair product.

Am replacing the charging function with a Sterling Power Pro Charge Ultra, 12V x 60A battery charger with a 5 year warranty. This is the most installed yacht-size marine charger in the world and supports up to 3 different batteries simultaneously. Has 11 pre-programmed battery charge curves, including LiPO4, GEL, AGM, Calcium, and Flooded Lead Acid Batteries. Cost is $520 with remote control.

Am replacing the inverter with a Xantrex 806-1210 PROwatt SW 1000, $285 plus transfer switch and remote control. Total $372.

My new system total cost is $167 less than the Magnum.

Expensive lesson learned. Wish the best for other Magnum owners.

73/gus
I'm very disappointed to hear that Magnum wouldn't give you a little "customer courtesy" since you were only 6 days outside the warranty period.

That shortsightedness is going to end up costing them much more than they saved by blowing you off.

One would like to think businesses would be smarter than that -- especially these days where you aren't just telling your friends and family, you're letting hundreds if not thousands of people know how they treated you.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
New Borockton , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,318
Images: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post
I'm very disappointed to hear that Magnum wouldn't give you a little "customer courtesy" since you were only 6 days outside the warranty period.

That shortsightedness is going to end up costing them much more than they saved by blowing you off.

One would like to think businesses would be smarter than that -- especially these days where you aren't just telling your friends and family, you're letting hundreds if not thousands of people know how they treated you.
We carried the Magnums for about a year. After that we dropped them. Just could not get support. Not saying they don't work when they do, just not worth the time.
__________________
Randy...Converters, Inverters, Trimetric, Surge Protectors, Zamp Solar, AGM Batteries
www.bestconverter.com
68 Overlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:56 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
Middletown , Maryland
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
We carried the Magnums for about a year. After that we dropped them. Just could not get support. Not saying they don't work when they do, just not worth the time.
I'm sorry to hear that.

Our MS2000 has been trouble-free so far (maybe 5 years now). Hopefully it'll hang in there for several more years.

We have two (2) Trace DR2424 inverters here at our house for backup power. They are 20 years old and still working. IIRC, Magnum Energy was formed by some former Trace employees when Trace was purchased by Xantrex.

Trace had an excellent rep -- they were used on yachts, high-end diesel pushers, and in emergency vehicles.

My impression was that Magnum carried on that tradition.

The MS2000 seems very well made, and the manual is top-notch.

That said, I have called Magnum a couple times -- just to ask a few questions or get some info (nothing adversarial) -- and I have to say that neither conversation was pleasant.

It seems they may be better at building inverters (with the possible exception of the 1012) than they are at customer service.
__________________

sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Magnum MMS Series Inverter Error Message Harmantick General Interior Topics 0 10-21-2017 03:11 AM
Magnum MMS-1012 inverter/charger lewster Airstream Classifieds 0 03-31-2016 06:42 PM
Inverter/Chargers iaqstuff Sprinter and B-van Forum 19 10-11-2015 04:25 PM
prices of Magnum MS2812 2800W Inverter with 125 Amp Charger carl2591 Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 42 01-28-2014 03:26 AM
Magnum Energy inverter - chargers Jammer Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 5 03-22-2011 10:11 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.