Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #1
rec
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
anywhere USA , full-timers traveling the country
self-destructing battter

So one of our marine batteries exploded! Well, not exactly "exploded" -- but we came home one day this week to discover something liquidy and corrody leaking from the battery compartment -- and when we pulled the battery out, the casing had cracked wide open in a half-dozen places. Any thoughts at all about what could have caused this?

We've not had any electrical issues that I can remember -- and the battery was only 2 years old. The only thing I can think of is that we disconnected and then reconnected the main kill switch in our 1989 Excella a while back when we re-did the couch -- but that was last July, and we've traveled all around the country since then with no problems.

I'm hesitant to buy a new battery until I can pinpoint the problem -- whether it's something with our internal electrical system or something having to do with the power source from the park connection or something about the battery itself. Please help! (Thanks!)
Old 01-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
They crack if they freeze? Would this have been possible? Also, overcharging can cause a crack as can over heating, which can be caused by overcharging. They tend to boil over and then crack. I ran a golf car company for years and in our electric golf cars we had 4 - 12v deep cycle batteries just like we have in our AS. Although I really never worked on the cars I did have a number of technicians who did and we used to replace the batteries all the time due to overcharging.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Check the voltage when the battery is charging. Usually, anything over 14 volts is considered overcharging. You can measure this with a cheap digital volt meter. Batteries can short internally or the plates can swell as they age and fall apart. A bulging case is a sign of a really old battery with plates that are swelling from age. Batteries age faster the more they are used. Sometimes they have a defect that causes a short etc. I have not seen a case bust unless there was an explosion but I am sure it can happen. Batteries release hydrogen while charging which is very explosive. A spark can ignite the hydrogen blowing the top off the battery. If this happened, I would think you would know.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote