Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Parallax Boiled One Battery

Got the '06 out of the back 40 on Monday and hooked it up to shore power. Took it for PA state inspection yesterday and picked it up this evening and plugged it back into shore power once home. I set about washing it in preparation for our camping trip starting tomorrow to Drummer Boy in Gettysburg. Well I got around to the front of the trailer and I thought I smelled sulfur. I didin't think too much of it until I got another whiff of it. I put my head down next to the one battery doors and I heard gurgle...gurgle...gurgle. I quickly disconnected the battery and removed, man was it hot and four of the cells were about bone dry!!!

OK so I boiled a battery. But what I don't get is I am famatical about taking care of those things. I always check the electrolyte levels and I always remove them from the trailer and use my Crafstman charger to charge them at least once a month when not in the trailer. When they are in the trailer I always turn of the 12 volt main disconnect. The other batter is perfectly fine and cool to the touch. The coach and the batteries are both 2 years old, so they are the originals.

So it is off to my friendly RV dealer over lunch tomorrow to replace BOTH batteries.

So I guess my questions are...
  1. Is it normal that only one battery boiled?
  2. Should I relace the stock Parallax series 7400 model 7455 with the 60 amp Inteli-Power 9200 model? (I put an Iteli-Power 9200 in our '87 and so far it is working great. I love the Charge Wizard)
  3. Can I have it hooked up to shore power with only one battery connected?
  4. Can I have it hooked up to shore power with NO batteries connected when I go to get replacements tomorrow?
I guess I should also mention that we have done no boondocking in this trailer.

I know this topic has been covered ad nauseum, but I would appreciate and answers you all may have.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. yes-maybe

Always wanted to be a 'yes' man...

It's likely that one cell of the bad battery has shorted internally, leaving you with a '10 volt' battery that then gets overcharged by you 12 volt charging system.

I'd update the converter/charger with the 3-step unit to get the most out of you batteries, and it almost makes the system, 'idiot proof'...I also like mine!

I don't think you converter cares if it's hooked to one or more batteries...some converters, I'm told need a battery in the circuit to operate properly...probably a good idea, in any case.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Sparks ain't my 'spertise but from my reading I'd call and talk it over with Randy (68 overlander of bestconverter.com). 3-stage charging is the way to go.

I've also read that running the converter without the battery in line could be rough on your 12 volt consuming lights/appliances. Flying by seat of the pants here but when a mod makes outright statements at least it keeps the conversation going.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote