Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
New owner question about batteries

Converter went out and replaced. Question - are we suppose to charge the batteries via shore power when not using the AS about every three or four weeks. Also when charging the battery with shore power - refrigerator fan does not shut off. Have 2016 Flying Cloud.
2fromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
The short answer is yes, your battery is slowly being drained by the LPG detector. The current consumption is typically 75 to 100 mA from this alone. So charging the batteries up every 3 to 4 weeks sounds like a good plan. However, did you replace your converter with a three-stage battery charger? If not, then you'll need to make sure you don't leave the charger on for extended periods - otherwise you could damage the batteries.

Ideally, you should have a battery monitor to tell you the available battery capacity at any time. Only having the battery voltage alone is a poor surrogate to determine the state of the battery.

To avoid charging your batteries every 3 to 4 weeks you could also disconnect your batteries to avoid the drain from the LPG detector. This would probably allow you to go 3-4 months between charge cycles. You could add a simple disconnect switch rather than disconnecting the cables each time if you find this inconvenient. Another thing you could do is add a solar charger to keep your battery fully charged. Lots of options.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
New owner battery question

Much thanks for your reply and knowledge.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
2fromtexas. here is a recent thread on this subject that will provide some insight.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ml#post1833442

note my post #19 refers to yet another thread that I have saved and often refer to.

LP detector, radios and in some instances the sub-woofer seem to be the culprits.

I disconnect my neg connection as I have no SP at storage. When it is hot and I'm not going to use in within 30 days I bring them home for a trickle and where I keep an eye on the water level.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
What ever else you do check that convertor and if it is not a 3 stage replace it with one. Airstream does not normally install a good unit.

Solar is a great option for maintaining the batteries while the trailer is sitting.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
When in storage I simply disconnect the negative battery post, this way there is no battery drainage & it stays charged for months.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The OP says he replaced the converter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fromtexas View Post
Converter went out and replaced
. . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
The OP says he replaced the converter.

With WHAT?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Converter went out and replaced. Question - are we suppose to charge the batteries via shore power when not using the AS about every three or four weeks. Also when charging the battery with shore power - refrigerator fan does not shut off. Have 2016 Flying Cloud.
When you replaced the converter, did you upgrade to a better unit?

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- thanks HowieE, guess I made an incorrect assumption.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
New owner battery replaced and converter

Sorry to say it was under warranty and AS only gives back the same converter for replacement. Really appreciate all the responses. Learning a lot about what we need to replace and how to maintain our little beast.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Sorry to say it was under warranty and AS only gives back the same converter for replacement. Really appreciate all the responses. Learning a lot about what we need to replace and how to maintain our little beast.
Thanks for the clarification.

Our OEM converters/chargers, in spite of their bad reps here, are quite serviceable if one knows their limitations. Given proper use and management, it will last years and years, as will the batteries.

In my personal opinion, the Parallax units are intended to be used actively in a trailer that goes on the road again. over and over. They do not do well at all in a "set it and forget it" mode. Lesson learned.

We intend to upgrade to a Progressive unit eventually. In the meantime, the old maxim applies -- if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Our next upgrade cycle will hopefully include solar, the new converter, batteries, better cell reception, and so forth, and the nearest available quality shop is many miles and days of travel time away.

Happy Trails!

Peter
Old 08-11-2016, 01:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
When my AS is in storage mode, I just connect a Noma block heater timer to the power cord , and set if for 1 hour a day 'on'.

"LOOK AFTER YOUR EQUIPMENT,IT WILL LOOK AFTER YOU."

"Never eat more than you can lift"! (Miss Piggy)
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
"If it isn't broken, break it, then fix it RIGHT!"--Old continuous improvement maxim.

(From an old engineer (me) that is very good at thinking outside the box and making things better)

I've never been content with merely letting well enough alone.😀😀😀

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

Volunteering to come pick up our FC20, take it to a good shop, pay for the improvements, loan me your trailer in the meantime?

"Broke" is a relative concept . . .

Old 08-11-2016, 04:42 PM   #15
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
My friend has a timer set for Friday 8p to Saturday 8p to turn on Shore power to charge the batteries.

I have solar for mine.

Someone recommended a trickle charger. However, if you don't have maintenance free batteries, you need to keep an eye on the water level on the batteries.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Regardless of your use of timers, a Parallax constant voltage converter WILL eventually kill your batteries from charging them with improper voltages.

Many liquid cells require up to 14.8VDC for the bulk and absorb phase to properly push sufficient current into the batteries. AGMs require 14.2VDC.

Where does the Parallax 13.6VDC continual charge come in......IT SHOULDN'T !!!!!

And for a float or maintenance charge, many batteries require 13.2VDC for this final charging phase. Again, it is far lower than a continual 13.6VDC with no amperage adjustment, as the charging amperage should have been tapered to approx. 1.5VDC/100 amp/hours of battery capacity by this point in the charging regimen.

And I won't get started with the many benefits of temperature compensation for the charging voltages.

Sorry, but for the top dollars that you pay for a 'premium' Airstream, they leave you decades behind the curve when it comes to battery charging equipment.

Lew Farber
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Thumbs up Essential battery infor for all (battery school)

I just found all the information you will ever need in the following link from a local supplier in my home town.

http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/ba...ool.cfm?TID=10

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:17 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
Battery info

Thank you, Dave. Good information 👍
Old 08-20-2016, 10:02 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
I just found all the information you will ever need in the following link from a local supplier in my home town.

http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/ba...ool.cfm?TID=10

Dave
Not to be a curmudgeon, but after reading the entire link, there are many mis- statements and confusing details listed.

DO NOT CONFUSE 'gel' and 'maintenance free' batteries with true AGM batteries. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME! True 'gel' batteries are still being made and are much more temperamental that a true AGM battery, while many 'maintenance free' batteries are simply valve-regulated liquid cell batteries that are primarily used in engine starting applications.

This goes for construction, ratings, use and especially charging set points. If you charge a Lifeline AGM at the voltages listed in the long......you will damage them!!!

DO NOT USE CCA RATINGS as a measure of a true deep cycle battery's capacity. You need to compare the '20 hour rate' across all of the batteries that you are considering.

Most important: always check with the manufacture of the batteries you are using for the specific information required for proper battery charging voltages and corresponding state of charge levels.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:42 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I have a question on how long a charge should last. Yesterday I charged the batteries (Original Interstate that came with the trailer they batteries are just under two years old and I have the factory converter) After running the generator for 90 min the batteries read 12.4 at 10:00 AM this morning the charge was down to 9.4. After driving for 3 hours the charge was back up to 12.3 Our trailer is a 2015 and has halogen lights (which for most of the night were off)and the refrigerator was on AUTO, the TV's are unplugged and we just have the carbon monoxide detector on.

We have been on the road for 2 months mostly with electric so the trailer has been plagued in. Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote