Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Geezer

1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
How to replace exploded battery

One of my batteries exploded yesterday while we were camped. I purchased two new batteris but am not sure how to replace the batteries. The trailer has been on shore power for over a month. I do not know how to test the inverter since I have discoveed that a faulty univolt could be the problem. Any advice would be helpful.:
LRPorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Make sure you are turned off, off of shore power or at least in the store position.
I am not the authority on this but gassing in the battery by running it dry is certainly a way to blow it up. First of all, that is acid in the battery and cleaning it up is a dangerous mess. You need to use rubber gloves and eye protection. Use a solution of baking soda in water to clean everything up, after you get the old batteries out of there. Wire brush, rinse and dry everything electrical in the battery compartment.
When that is all clean, you can have someone check out the converter for you. The converter could be just fine if the problem was that you let the water level get too low in the battery. If it is not a sealed battery, checking water level and refilling is an important maintenance item.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I hate to spend more of your money, but most likely you just should replace the original Univolt (assuming it is original) since they are known to be hard on batteries, and your new ones will suffer the same fate.

On replacing the batteries you have, assuming you have a real mess of broken battery and plates and parts, first disconnect the univolt from the system by unplugging it or turning it off at the CB, or turning the entire trailer off by unplugging it from power. Then disconnect the Un-exploaded battery and remove it. Clean the area around it (I don't know how your batteries are mounted, or located, are they in two different compartments?). Do not put the new one in yet.

The exploded battery needs far more care. (rubber gloves and goggles for eye protection of course) Have a lot of baking soda available to neutralize the acid, I would guess you need several pounds (boxes). Pour it liberally over the remains of the battery. It will foam a lot. Add water if you can drain the mess that results out without getting into the remainder of the trailer. More baking soda, more water until you have most of the mess neutralized. Then remove the remains of the battery. If possible dispose of the results into a plastic container and take it to a recycling center. It should not go into a dumpster. More baking soda, and water until your battery location is all neutralized. Then dry it and put the new batteries in place.

I would NOT leave the univolt on any more than absolutely necessary until it is checked out, or replaced.

That is an outline only, just be very careful please.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Geezer

1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
Thanks all. I have removed the batteries. I have taped the battery connectors and will follow the instructions to a tee. Great friends on Air Forums.
LRPorter is offline   Reply With Quote