Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
How Long Does A Battery Last?

Hey guys. I was wonderin how long your battery last under normal use? Lets say the weathers perfect, so no air or heat, gotta keep the fridge cool, using lights since its dark and maybe watching TV (television, not towing vehicle lol). How long would a single battery last? Dual batteries?
Old 09-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
What type of lights? LED, Halogen. regular??
TV would take the batteries out in a hour or so, maybe less.
Fridge should run for a few weeks on two batteries.

Lots of variables.....
Running lights for an hour or so at night, heater a little at night. and fridge, I can get through a 3 day 2 night weekend, with some to spare. On two batteries.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
In very general terms, I find that two batteries will last three days as long as I don't run the fan or the furnace more than an hour or so a day. The biggest variables are how much the lights are run, which is mainly about day length and weather, and the furnace, which is a battery hog.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
There are so many variables including type of interior lights, outdoor temperature, number of people in your family, how late you stay up at night and what electronics you use, the number of, type and size of your batteries... The answer is different for each situation, even with the same model Airstream and number of people.

Others will post their experiences, but I think the information you seek can only be provided by you, through personal use.

I'd just go camping and see how long your batteries last. This can even be determined in your own driveway over several days or a weekend. That's your reality; the one that really counts.

Then, you can consider modifications that others have done to extend battery life.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It depends on how old they are, time of year (fall means more lights on, shoulder seasons mean more furnace), how many, which group and whether you can recharge them with solar or generator.

Two batteries are better than one, LED's better than halogen which are better than incandescent.

The best way to save power is to not use it, and when you do, use it infrequently. The TV, as stated, will take a lot. If you take a shower, the pump will run more.

This is something you find out for yourself based on your habits, whether you change them, and the other factors I and others have mentioned.

Originally we had 96 watts of solar, OEM lighting, no generator, and we found 2 nights in the fall were about it. Eventually we got a 1,000 watt generator and LED's and we could extend that to 3 nights. Now we have 200 watts of solar (and a much better system), Group 27 AGM's and are better at saving power, so 4 nights is pretty easy. But if we park under trees in a canyon where the sun only shines part of the day, and it is cold, the generator comes out for about an hour a day. When it hot, we run the fans a lot—they take a fair amount of power, but nothing like the power-sucking furnace. You could use battery operated Coleman lanterns for lighting and that would be cheaper than LED's, but eventually you'll want to get LED's if you boondock a lot.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
How long does a battery last? How long is a piece of string?
We need more information to answer your question.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Im not sure what lights I have lol. Im pretty sure theyre not LED. They actually look like car lights (like 4157s) inside a housing lol. Theyre different. I have a feeling Ill need 2 batteries if Im gonna be boon docking for longer than a day lol. How do you hook up a 2nd battery? Just connect it to the 1st battery? But then thatd make a 24 volt system
Old 09-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCamino Man View Post
Im not sure what lights I have lol. Im pretty sure theyre not LED. They actually look like car lights (like 4157s) inside a housing lol. Theyre different. I have a feeling Ill need 2 batteries if Im gonna be boon docking for longer than a day lol. How do you hook up a 2nd battery? Just connect it to the 1st battery? But then thatd make a 24 volt system
Wired in series would make 24 volts. Wired in parallel is 12 volts.

Some are big proponents of two 6 volt batteries wired in series for 12 volts. Usually golf cart batteries.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
05 Safari

05 Safari 30, two AGMs now 4 years and one month old. Petered out now. I have solar (two 120watt panels), stored indoors, removed for cold weather, lots of duty cycles as we are mainly boondockers.

I am going to go with a group 8 battery in a couple of weeks and relocate inside under the main queen bed.

Original batteries barely made a year and a half. Sucky Interstates.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We spent 3 days ( nights ) in Glacier NP a month ago with no hookups. 2 batteries,
2 adults, showers and reading lights. No TV, no AC, no heat. I think we could have gone another day or two if necessary.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote