Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Electrical Distribution Center?

Anyone with suggestions for an updated DC electrical distribution system would be appreciated.

I've replaced my Univolt with an Intelicharger 9200. I've also decided to replace the two 12-volt batteries with four 6-volt deep cycle batts. I'd like to also use a 1800-watt inverter with an automatic isolation/transfer switch between the inverter and shore power AC circuit.

I plan to use 2 60-watt solar panels thru a charge/controller to the battery array.

Any suggestions or "heads-up" comments on problems to look for while making this upgrade a reality.

Thanks!

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Ditribution Panel

Greetings,

I recently completed an upgrade to my 62 Flying Cloud that included 2 solar panels, 4 batteries and an all new AC/DC distribution panel. I found this one from Iota to be very user friendly, and very economical!! So far it has worked perfectly. The only downside is it is plastic, but very lightweight and attractive.

IDP-30 AC/DC Distribution Panel from IOTA Engineering

Hope this helps!

FLYNCLD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Interior 019.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	82519   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Interior 023.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	82520  

FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
this may help

From another member here....Way to much for my limited system but looks like its right in line with your plans.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	elec_schem.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	82529  
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Thanks for the IOTA contact. I'll give them a call in the AM. Were you able to access all the connections needed (both AC and DC) in the front of your AS? My idea is to make all the new components fit underneath the Goucho in the front of the unit -- however, my AC circuit breaker panel is back aft in the rear head.

Do you suppose I could keep the existing AC breaker panel in place and still use the IOTA unit up front?

thanks!

Art

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Hi Art,

I will try and answer your questions one at a time! The AC breaker we had was a totally outdated screw in type fuse box, so it had to go. It was on the far side of the trailer from both the shore power cord and the 7 pin 12V wiring. We rewired everything to be on the same side of the trailer (pretty easy to eliminate the old fuse box) and brought both the AC/DC connections to the same point. where they really entered the trailer anyway. We were then able to bring the solar connections down to this point as well by running them through the roof and down inside the wall. This brought everything together at one point and made the it possible to install the Iota box for all systems. Everything is wired here, the inverter, converter, AC/DC and solar.

All you have to do to get rid of the AC panel in the rear is take it out and hard wire the connections back together. You will then split your circuits as needed back up front, as there is probably at least two AC circuits already existing. You just need to know where they go.

While we installed a full size queen bed instead of a gaucho, the effect is the same and you can see in the picture both the Iota unit and our solar controller in a very clean installation under the bed.

I would highly recommend that you use the Iota for everything. It will clean things up tremendously! If you need more pics, I have em'!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Electrical Update 006.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	82566  
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote