Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Springfield , Missouri
Converter wiring '71 Overlander-HELP!

I just installed an Intellipower 9245 converter in my 1971 Overlander. From the help of the forums (especially TWTwinkle's posts), I think I got it pretty close.
Would someone who is knowledgeable tell me if this is done correctly? Sorry for the poor quality of my drawing and the size of drawing downloaded. I've got no electrical experience whatsoever and I couldn't figure out how to get it bigger!

Thanks!
Attached Images

Ag'71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
TG Twinkie sent me this from a previous post . Compare the two
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1269802505.png
Views:	220
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	138105  
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Bowdoinham , Maine
The only thing I see is that I heard Randy (from BestConverter) say that you should run the hot directly from the battery to the converter. He didn't say anything about the need for a fuse. Maybe an expert out there will jump in to help. Good luck and happy trails!
McDonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I can't read the photo too well either but there should be a fuse between the battery and the DC distribution panel.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
My Argosy had a separate fuse between the battery and the univolt too.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Springfield , Missouri
Converter Wiring--AGAIN

I'm going to try this one more time and attach a crude, but readable wiring diagram for my new Intellipower 9245. I could use help in letting me know if I've got this right. I know it's close to TGTwinkle's diagram (and I thank him for the diagram), but I really need someone to comment definitively that my wiring is correct. I talked to Randy at Bestconverter and, well, let's just say he wasn't really wanting to help me much. His first question was, "Did you buy your Intellipower from us?" My answer was I wasn't sure since it had been a long time and I know I bought the fuse box from VintageTrailer. After being vague with my answer, which is what I have stated here, he seemed a little reticent in answering my wiring questions. (Hey, I understand that he doesn't want to waste his time with so many questions coming his way if they haven't bought their stuff from him. I got it. But, there have been so many posts about how much help he's been, he was my first 'go to' guy. He's the expert. And, really, unless I find my invoice, I still don't remember if I got the converter from him or from VintageTrailer. Hey, maybe he was just having a bad day. That's okay. Really. BUT, I gotta have some feedback before I throw the switch on this thing. I'm going camping on Monday and I'm afraid of messing up my electrical.
So, if you can, please help me. Here's the diagram. THANK YOU!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Converter Wiring Diagram.png
Views:	807
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	138639  
Old 08-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Take a look at the picture in this post: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f226...tml#post764894

Then this one: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f226...tml#post760304

In the first picture, one red wire goes to the battery, the other directly to the charger. The blue wire comes from the TV charge side. All of the white wires are ground, of course. You will need to run a ground to the shell of the camper to make your running lights work, then tie all of you other grounds to that same bus. The individual branch circuits are the smaller gauge wires, but you knew that part.

The second picture shows the battery end. I used only one in-line fuse at the battery, many people use a fuse on both the positive and negative wires.

Randy used to have a link to one of the manufacturer's web sites that has an excellent simplified drawing that shows how to wire all this up, but I'll be danged if I can find it. I thought I saved the link in my thread someplace, but it's not there either.

Randy is one of the truly good guys around here, BTW. I have recieved fabulous service and advice on both orders I made with him. The first tme I called, he was on his way to his fall hunting camp and still made time to answer all my questions. Throw some business his way if you get the chance.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Springfield , Missouri
Thanks Jim & Susan. That's exactly what I needed to know. Actually, Randy said that I should run a wire directly from the battery to the fuse box. I couldn't understand, though, how that would work because he stopped there without telling me to run a hot wire from the fuse box to the converter. It was probably the way I asked the question. My fault.
Also, Jim & Susan, do you know what the heavy gauge (10) white wire is for that emerges from the wiring harness? It's probably for the furnace or oven, both of which I have removed. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!!! I think I got it now.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Ag,
I can't even see your name to look up and see if you are our customer. I will help you if I can but thanks for understanding my phone time should go there first. Our customer service does not ever expire and I'm never more than a few minutes away. You would be surprised at the people that will go to Camping World and buy something for $100 more on impulse and call for tech support becuase they didn't like what the kid at the counter told them about their electrical system. You are not that guy but they are out there. If you traded with us, you have lifetime support.
My time is not worth much, but its worth something. I was riding my Harley in Sturgis a couple weeks ago and one of the forum member absolutely filleted me because my after hours phone message said I would get back to them in "just a few minutes" and they were wanting to go on a trip that weekend and couldn't get ahold of me to get advice on wiring for a product they bought at Camping World. I took a two hour ride through Custer SP with buddies and paid dearly for it.
Airstream is less than 10% of our business but I hang out here when I can because I just dig Airstreams, like to help, have had four of them, and like the folks.
Call me if you still need help.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote