Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
orem , Utah
Can I disconnect battery post while on shore power?

So I put quick disconnect I got at Walmart on Negative side, just spin counterclockwise and will kill power. Two benefits I see are while in storage I can quickly drop the power to propane detector that slowly uses power. Another while I am plugged in and already fully charged take off battery negative and not worry about putting 13.6 volts all week. Anything I am missing with my theory? Have boiled out Trogan SCS 150 I think 2007 year
pinetar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Your batteries should not get over charged plugged into shore power.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I like the idea that you can disconnect your battery from the system thus preventing the parasitic draw that happens when you are parked.

As far as the second part of you statement, if you disconnect to prevent your batteries from over charging then you have two issues to deal with. First, are you willing to monitor your charging process? I mean, if you have it plugged in at home then disconnecting after a day or so charging might not be a big issue. Secondly, you probably need to replace your converter/charger to avoid overcharging. My 2006 toasted the batteries when plugged in at the original owners place. I replace mine with an IOTA 55 and don't have that problem any longer.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Those quick disconnect are a fine idea, someday it might be necessary to disconnect in a hurry. Or if you have to leave for a month or so.
I've found some of them to be weak or potentially failing, had one check good but wouldn't pass enough power to crank the starter in my car; new battery and a bunch of searching to find it was the quick disconnect failed not everything else.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote