Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
sherman oaks , California
Unhappy '62 safari shore power

The maiden voyage was AMAZING! I learned a lot and I accomplished a lot. White knuckler on the freeway for the first hour, but i got over it. Towed like a dream... I had one issue however.
When plugging her into shore power at the park it blew the GFI on the parks power box immediately. Didnt blow any breakers in the AS. The camp mngr helped me and the same happened again. Wasnt the worst issue cause I ran off 12v overnight...but I'm perplexed. Got home on Mon and plugged her into the outlet on the side of my house. Same thing happened...blew the GFI on the outlet on the house. No breakers in the AS however again. I know nothing about electricity but I dont even know how to check things for a short when there is no power coming to the AS. The cord is original...maybe that?
Any thoughts from anyone interested? I've fixed everything on her before from these questions on this forum...so this is where I;m starting...and I'm sure ending too!
By the way...it worked before. I dont get it
Thanks Mike
mmenchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate." -William of Ockham

Rather than look for strange explanations or unusual conditions (plenty of time for that later), try turning off all the breakers inside the trailer and plugging in again. If the house GFCI doesn't blow then you know the cord and wiring up to the trailer breakers are OK. If the GFCI blows, the problem is in the cord, the cord ends, or the main breaker and breaker box.

If the GFCI doesn't blow, then unplug all appliance and turn on the breakers in the trailer one at a time. The breaker that causes the GFCI to trip is the circuit that has a short to ground. Then it's just a matter of tracking down an outlet or light fixture that has a ground leak.

If that doesn't work, then you should call an electrician.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
sherman oaks , California
62 safari shore power

So I tripped off the 2 breakers on the box in the AS. Pluggd in shore power and flipped 1 breaker back on. GFI on house stayed on. Flipped the other back on and GFI on house tripped. I now know which circuit is shorting. Think its the breaker in the AS itself or a short on that breaker system somewhere in the AS? I cant figure out what is on what breaker...Lights and fans on shore power are not working. I dont have any appliances that work on shore power. Maybe the good circuit powers the plugs which I will try w a tester tomorrow.
This baffles me
mmenchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I would look for a short in the wiring. Odds are 1 in 1000 that the breaker is the problem.

I would check the light fixtures and any outlets first. Remove the light fixtures and outlets and retry the circuit test. Hope it is not the wiring which is buried in the walls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00008.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	127775  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
I bet the problem on your AS is that the grounds (copper wire no insulation) and the common (white wire) are all on the grounding bar in the camper breaker box. If you separate them so that the common White wires are not in electrical contact with the copper grounds which should be electrically connected to the camper frame and shell you will not have this problem with GFI breakers. Most breaker boxes have 2 buss bars in them. One is insulated from the case of the breaker box which is where the white wires should go. The other is grounded to the breaker box case, which is where the uninsulated copper grounds should go. If your camper doesn't trip the breakers when connected to a regular outlet (not a GFI) then this is your problem. This happened to me.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote