Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2015, 11:12 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Wanting to know if??

From reading the various threads, it is safe to say most people prefer either a Honda or Yamaha inverter type generator.

At the current time and for the time in the near to mid future, Not able to afford one of them.

Hence these, they are in my price range, have a decibel of 53 at 23ft. Weighs in a just under 50lbs. Run time of 9 and a half hours at 25%load. Two can be combined to reach the magic 4,000 watts needed to run most everything in the AS. The other nice factor of this one is they are stackable.

2000W Inverter Generator (CARB) - Champion Power Equipment

I would like to know if anyone has one or two, used them and what the good-bad-ugly of them are?

Thank you all in advance for any and all information
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:29 AM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
generally, you get what you pay for. I have a generator I bought, thinking I could not afford the good one. It now acts as a table to set my Yamaha 2000 on in the storage shed.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:42 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I have seen the Champions and have a camping buddy that has a pair that has been going strong for 3 years of camping use. He uses them 5-6 times a year camping, then uses them one at a time around home for powering up stuff away from the house when doing maintenance.

I have done a lot of research. Biggest issue with the Champion IMHO is that they don't have a fuel pump, therefore putting an expansion fuel tank on them to increase the run time is not easy. They also have relatively small fuel tanks. None of the off the shelf expansion tanks will work. I camped next to my buddy a year ago on an extremely hot weekend. He was having to fill them up every 5-6 hours. I had a Yamaha EF3000 and could go closer to 12 hours between fill ups. I think it is interesting that Champion lists the fuel consumption rate in hours per 1/4 load while Yamaha and Honda list theirs in hours per 1/2 load.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
When I worked had a distributor which carried a number of different portable generators. When I was looking for one for our AS he told me the Honda's have fewer issues and are "in his shop" less often than any other brand. Further the Yamaha's were a very very close second. All others, made him money at the sale and for a long time after until people decided to switch to either Honda or Yamaha. We like our two Honda's, don't use them much at all, but they are five years old and start right up when asked, I do a lot of PM on them at the end of each season.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via AIM to spclkaz
Bite the cost bullet and get one or two Honda EU-2000s with a parallel wiring kit. Like the others said... you get what you pay for. I've have my two for over ten years and if you maintain them and change the oil every year... they seem able to soldier on forever...
spclkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Is the purpose of using two Honda EU2000s rather than a larger Honda EU3000 the weight? Or so one is likely to be working in case one is down?
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:53 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
Is the purpose of using two Honda EU2000s rather than a larger Honda EU3000 the weight? Or so one is likely to be working in case one is down?
4000 or 6000 when paired...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:04 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Hey Mainstreamer
I have a 3000i and have for a few seasons. I use it at the cottage for backup as well as for camping when needed. Te best advantage for me was added versatility and only one machine to maintain. Some folks want the smaller 2000 as they burn less fuel but they only run as fast as required. The 3000i is heavier but you can always find a helping hand. the electric start is a nuce touch too. My opinion if you are going to a 2000i and money is an issue, buy one and when the cash reserves are good to go again, pick up the mate to it. I would stay away from the 'throw aways' at all cost. Honda Yamaha are more expensive now but cheaper in the long run for sure.
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:31 PM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I've had the two Honda 2000's for seven years now. I've never taken real good care of the, but they always work when asked.

I opted for the two 2000's for the versatility. If I,m not using the air conditioner, one will do the trailer. I also use just one for the truck camper, even with the a/c. I can easily lift them in and out of the truck.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:26 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
What do you need if you want to run 2 AC units and have 50 Amp

I looked at a new honda fuel injected 6500 watt with electric start $3995

Anybody have ant advice pro or con.
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:44 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Longview , Texas
Earl,

Not being a wise ass but i asked muchly the same question of Airstream itself. Have a 28FB International onxy (2014) Two A/Cs and other standard stuff. I aksed what I would need if i wanted to run everything at once in the trailer and they told me 12K. so now I am more confused than ever. I have a 22K Generac at the house which literally powers everything in a 3,000 ft house in the dead heat of a texas summer
Wayne Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:19 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstream View Post
Hence these, they are in my price range, have a decibel of 53 at 23ft. Weighs in a just under 50lbs. Run time of 9 and a half hours at 25%load.
Running a generator at 25% load is a great way to ruin a generator over the long term. They operate most efficiently when loaded between 50% and 75% of their rated load, or between 1kW and 1.5kW load in your case.

2kW is maximum capacity for that generator, when loaded to 100% and running at maximum RPMs— that's actually a simplification because I want to avoid getting bogged down in torque and power curves— but for talking purposes, close enough. And I guarantee that it's a lot louder than 53dB when running under a load, and the fuel in the tank worn't last half as long as advertised then, either. Don't me misled by manufacturer's claims that don't coincide with your intended usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Clamp View Post
I asked what I would need if i wanted to run everything at once in the trailer and they told me 12K. so now I am more confused than ever. I have a 22K Generac at the house which literally powers everything in a 3,000 ft house in the dead heat of a texas summer
If you want to run everything at once in your trailer, meaning all of the lights, the water heater in electric mode, the air conditioner(s), the microwave (if you have one), etc. then 12kW is not far off the mark. But in real life you won't have everything in your trailer running at exactly the same time and you won't need that much capacity. 8kW or 9kW will be plenty, and if you're frugal about your thermostat settings and use your dual electric/propane appliances in propane mode, 7.5kW would probably be adequate. But do NOT take my word for it; I haven't done an energy analysis on your trailer so that's only a wild-assed guess.

Your 22kW Generac probavbly doesn't really run every electricity-using appliance and fixture in your stick-and-brick home at once because you don't ever use them all at once; but it does power all the ones you use at the same time. That's not exactly the same thing. That's why you should do an energy analysis before buying a generator.

Look at the wattage of all of your trailer's appliances and fixtures, and then only add up the ones you expect to have running at the same time. For example, a microwave oven doesn't run for very long at one time, so it's fine for an air conditioner to cut out while the microwave is running, as long as the air conditioner starts up again when the microwave is done. No need to run both at once or have a generator that can power both at once.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Camping World advertised a ~4000 watt Champion the other day that ran on both gas and propane, with a propane connection right on the front panel. It also had a 30 amp RV outlet. I think it was $600-$700. We have two Honda 2000s already, but that would be a really tempting deal, if the Champions hold up well and are relatively quiet.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:11 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Thanks Skater, I saw the Camping World ad. According to the Champion web site they are rated at 75+ decibel.

But that does bring up another thought. What about converting the inverter champion to run on propane?
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #15
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstream View Post
From reading the various threads, it is safe to say most people prefer either a Honda or Yamaha inverter type generator.

At the current time and for the time in the near to mid future, Not able to afford one of them.

Hence these, they are in my price range, have a decibel of 53 at 23ft. Weighs in a just under 50lbs. Run time of 9 and a half hours at 25%load. Two can be combined to reach the magic 4,000 watts needed to run most everything in the AS. The other nice factor of this one is they are stackable.

2000W Inverter Generator (CARB) - Champion Power Equipment

I would like to know if anyone has one or two, used them and what the good-bad-ugly of them are?

Thank you all in advance for any and all information
Two facts to consider:

1) Honda and Yamaha have a track record of keeping service parts available throughout the reasonable life of their products. Ask yourself whether you will be able to get a carb kit or ignition parts for a Champion generator 5 10 or 15 years from now.

2) Should your needs or situation change you may wish to sell your generator. Honda/Yamaha generators sell for top dollar on the used market as long as it can be established that they don't have excessive run time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
The main reason people prefer to use EU2000s in pairs is that, individually, they are light enough to lift. The EU3000 at 134 pounds, realistically, requires 3 people or wheels and a ramp. In the same light, the EU2000s can be started manually by most reasonably able-bodied people while the EU3000 requires either electric start or a certain amount of athleticism.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:49 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Longview , Texas
Do they furnish ear plugs with the champions???????????????
Wayne Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote