Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Fulltiming , Out West
Up grading to 50 amps...

My wife is getting tired of switching off the air conditioner so she can run the microwave. Is there a way to up grade to 50 amps and what would it cost? How about adding a rear air conditioner, with 50 amps will it support 2 at that time?
Bing-Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Bing-Bing, I have the same issue - I know the newer Airstreams that have 2 A/C units do run off 50 amps. I am looking for responses as well. Thanks for posting.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
You can do it yourself, I did mine.

Just replace the existing breaker panel (mine came from Lowes) and add a 50amp outside socket, another length of Romex down the inside of the trailer wall and a transfer switch so you can use either your existing 30amp cord or a 50amp cord.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I'm also doing that switch.

I got one of those 50amp Intellipower units where it's got the new breaker box and the 12V fuse block and the power supply all in one housing. I'll have to change the main input wire from 30amp rated to 50amp (I believe that's a 6 gauge wire). My rig currently has a long cord that just goes into the coach and wires up....I'll change that to a plug inside the wiring housing and then get a nice 50' long thick as your arm 50amp chord.

That being said, I can run my a/c (15,000btu) and my old magic chef microwave at the same time no problem.

Turn off your electric water heater

Like I told my wife...there are four big current draws (a/c, water heater, microwave, blow dryer)...you can have any two

When I do the swap, I'll post it on here. Won't happen 'til after summer though...I'm too busy camping!

cheers
Old 06-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Yes, it can and has been done.

But remember there are precautions you have to take as you have "NO" 240VAC appliances in the camper and you are running 240VAC into the camper.

You will have 120 VAC to each side of the new breaker box so use "ONLY" 120VAC breakers.

Your new power cord will "HAVE" to have a full size neutral wire (same size as the hot wires) since the load will not be balanced and the neutral can be carrying a good size load. Too small a neutral and it burns open then everything in the RV will most likely be zapped with 240V.

DO NOT tie neutral and ground together in the box they must be separate all the way to the CG main box or your house breaker box if plugged in at home.

50amp will power 2 air conditioners.

Cost. Breaker boxes and breakers are not very expensive the new 4 wire power cord will be expensive and very heavy I would guess over $3.50 per foot but I haven't priced one in a few years.

Disclaimer; I am not a certified electrician I have wired several houses and converted my MH to 50amp but I do not recommend you try it yourself unless you are familiar with AC wiring.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:09 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Salem , Alabama
I have a 30 C L 2009 model SA. I am also interested in up-grading to 50 AMP service. However, I would prefer a professional installation. Can someone provide an estimated cost to upgrade a 2009 unit. woppa4
woppa 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Weatherford , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry View Post
Yes, it can and has been done.

But remember there are precautions you have to take as you have "NO" 240VAC appliances in the camper and you are running 240VAC into the camper.

You will have 120 VAC to each side of the new breaker box so use "ONLY" 120VAC breakers.

Your new power cord will "HAVE" to have a full size neutral wire (same size as the hot wires) since the load will not be balanced and the neutral can be carrying a good size load. Too small a neutral and it burns open then everything in the RV will most likely be zapped with 240V.

DO NOT tie neutral and ground together in the box they must be separate all the way to the CG main box or your house breaker box if plugged in at home.

50amp will power 2 air conditioners.

Cost. Breaker boxes and breakers are not very expensive the new 4 wire power cord will be expensive and very heavy I would guess over $3.50 per foot but I haven't priced one in a few years.

Disclaimer; I am not a certified electrician I have wired several houses and converted my MH to 50amp but I do not recommend you try it yourself unless you are familiar with AC wiring.

Garry

Hey Gary, I was thinking of doing a sort of 50amp conversion in my MH. Thought about keeping the existing 30 amp cord and putting in another auto trans switch on the line from my Onan that feeds A/C #2 and running a 120v plug where I could plug it into another 120v circuit to run just A/C #2. The switch would default to the Onan, but when plugged in it would switch to the ground power. Best I can tell, some campgrounds have a 30amp & 20 amp circuit. Does this sound like a good idea? Thanks
crashxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
I agree, running a 120 20 amp line dedicated to the microwave is the better choice. You can mount the 20 amp plug in and then run it to the microwave only. You could even just use an extension cord to the power supply without making any mods to the trailer at all.
Changing out to a 50 amp service without up grading the power distrubution center is just asking for trouble. The 50 amp dist. center will both cost a lot and take up more space.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
crashxx check your private messages
garry is offline   Reply With Quote