Old 12-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia

Great idea! I think that is what I will do. I have left over pink board, hinges, and liquid nails.

Brian & Adrienne
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #16

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

We use a tent and a tree....out of sight out of min 'er....ear.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Loud noise from a generator, is cause by the heat expansion from the gas exhaust.

An easy fix, is to cool the exhaust before it hits the atmosphere.

Simply extending the exhaust pipe, makes a large reduction in the noise.

Try it with just a junk piece of pipe and you will quickly hear the different.

Once you do that, then you can design an exhaust pipe system that takes up a small space.

The cooler the exhaust, the less the noise.

In fact, on a larger generator, you will probably hear more noise from the working parts of the generator, than you would hear from the exhaust

Easy, cheap but effective fix.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Andy is correct about the heat and given enough volume and surface area for heat transfer that is a possible solution. I am reminded though of a school bus that I used to ride as a kid that had a 40 foot long exhaust pipe that sounded like a machine gun. It is the size of the pipe that matters isn’t it?

Seriously another big aspect of the noise for an IC engine is pulsing of the exhaust gas. It is this pulsing and the pressure waves that cause much of the racket that annoys the neighbors. This noise is generated by the exhaust valve opening and the corresponding pulsing of the exhaust gas expanding as part of the blow-down process. It is this pulsing that a good silencer (muffler) system dampens and thereby reduces noise. For example, the exhaust on a small Honda generator is not cooling the exhaust gas to any great extent simply because of space and layout constraints. They are cleverly removing the pulsing of the exhaust through an elaborate exhaust/silencing system. On a well-made system such as the Hondas and I assume the Yamahas, you will find they are able package a silencer in a very small space and therefore the cooling of the gas is likely quite marginal. But with their designs, they are able to dampen and smooth the pulses thereby reducing noise.

The trick used by Honda is to dampen this pulsing blow-down is through a very elaborate silencer. I once saw photos of an exhaust silencer from a Honda generator that had been purposely cut open for evaluation of its cross section and it was more elaborate than one might expect. They are obviously quite cleaver as to how and the extent they are able to dampen, isolate, and smooth the pulsing thereby eliminating noise. Again, no significant heat transfer but pulse dampening and smoothing. They are trying to achieve constant flow from the exhaust tip vs. something that pulses like a beloved Harley exhaust!

By the way, an even more efficient silencer is a turbo charger which reduces heat by creating work from the flow and smoothing the flow throw the vanes of the rotor. So another solution would be to turbocharge that Briggs to take some of the noise out.

These muffler/silencer designs, employed by Honda and others, drive the cost up. You gets what you pay for, sometimes!
"If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you never tried before!"

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
Austin , Texas
One thing I've heard about from people coming back from desert countries, is for dealing with a loud open-framed generator that usually sits in one location, is to use sandbags. You pile sandbags around the generator (giving proper air space) in a square "Q" shape. You pile them up about a foot or two higher than the generator. The tail of the "Q" is bent and where the exhaust goes. Because the noise then goes upwards, it should help immensely with quieting it. Digging and shoring up a hole also does similar, except one has to be careful about drainage.

mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote