Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2016, 09:21 AM   #1

1968 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
Running airstream off solar generator

Hello, I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I have a 1968 ambassador that we parked on some land in the woods. It is our family getaway and we love it! There is no power or water so I have started converting it to an off the grid cabin/trailer. I have a wood stove and a self contained solar generator (a power hub) the generator works great to run string lights and radio etc.. I would like to plug the trailer into the generator to run just the trailer lights and ceiling fans. It worked for a while, but now the univolt buzzes and smokes. Seems like I need to replace the univolt. Any suggestions on what I need to replace and what to replace it with. I would like to avoid charging the airstream battery because it just drains the batteries in the generator. Please help, I have no idea what I'm doing!
Bchutto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
How far away is the solar generator battery?

If it is close enough why not just run a heavy cable from that battery to the Airstream (AS), and remove the AS battery?

Yes, normally when they let the smoke out the device is severely stress and needs repair.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #3

1968 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
The batteries fior the solar power and the generator are one self contained unit that I have in the space where the oven was. Are you saying you could run a cord from a new converter to the solar generator?
Bchutto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
I took a look at the Xantrex Power Hub 1800.

If that is what you have then I would say you would need a new charger and a 12VDC battery. I would recommend you go with a lower wattage charger (8-10 amps) and use the battery as a device to deliver your needed power. You are going through double conversion which means lower efficiency.

Since you already have a solution you won't want to go this route but here is a description anyway: Solar charger/controller, for a 12VDC system and use the house battery as storage. No need for a converter since you don't have power there. Lots of folks on this forum do this, some with really big systems use an inverter and create 120VAC to use.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote