Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
My propane Yamaha Generator from US Carburetion

I recently bought a tri-fuel (gas, propane, natural gas) Yamaha EF2400is Generator from U.S. Carburetion (Yamaha Propane and Natural Gas Generators), and I thought my experiences might interest other AS owners.

I really wanted a propane powered generator, because I tow with an SUV and I hated the thought of transporting gasoline inside the car (or anywhere else, for that matter). And since U.S. Carburetion seems to be the major player in the propane generator market, I considered placing an order with them. But after searching the forum's archives, I noticed that some AS owners have had huge problems with them in the past. One owner, for example, complained that he had to wait several months before his order was fulfilled, and during the delay he said US Carb provided poor customer service. Still, when the generator finally arrived, he liked it, and his view was that US Carb was honest and competent...just inept at customer service.

That's not what I would call a glowing recommendation, but I recently bit the bullet...despite the fact that I'd also had trouble connecting with US Carb by phone and email.

To my amazement, the generator was shipped the same day I placed my online order!!! And when it arrived a few days later, I found US Carb's supplemental instructions to be reasonably clear and helpful. Best of all, the generator started immediately and ran well. I used the generator on my last trip, and it performed perfectly, running for at least six hours on a 5-lb propane tank that still isn't empty!

Things weren't perfect, however. US Carb forgot to include a "Quick Disconnect" I ordered, but when I informed them of the oversight, they responded immediately, apologizing for the problem and sending a replacement right away.

The only problem I've had with the generator is that the tachometer didn't operate reliably. That's important because you need to monitor the revs when you're setting the leanness/richness of the fuel mixture. When I contacted US Carb, they set my expectations pretty low by claiming Yamaha said the tach might not work with the EF2400is...a claim I have not been able to independently verify. And when I contacted the tach's manufacturer, they scoffed at that idea. In any case, after opening the generator, I found that the ground wire (which US Carb had added when they made the tri-fuel modifications) had come loose. I reattached it (a 10 minute project), and the tach has run great ever since.

On balance, I have been very pleased by my dealings with U.S. Carburetion. Although there were a couple of small problems with my order, my impression is that U.S. Carb is improving quickly, and so I would definitely do business with them again. On the other hand, they still don't provide a satisfactory response to general phone calls or email, and I can't vouch for their future performance. Nevertheless, I like the generator, and I was impressed that U.S. Carb got it to me so quickly.

Oh...and then there's the money. Including shipping, I paid about $1,600 for this tri-fuel generator. That's a significant mark-up from the cost of a stock model, but the ability to run on propane and natural gas is worth the premium to me. And...Yamaha says you can link two EF2400is generators together to produce enough electricity to...uh...well, to run Los Angeles! Or maybe it was Phoenix...I forget.

I hope these comments are helpful to others who are thinking about taking the plunge into propane-powered generators.

Good luck!

Titus
TitusLivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Titus---Thanks for the post. Very informative and straight forward. I'm going to purchase a propane powered generator and this helps a bunch.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Woodland Park , Colorado
Titus,

Thanks for the info. I have been considering the same as you for some time now, debating between the Yamaha 2400 and 3000 propane generators. I also have read the issues with U.S. Carburetion but based on the general consensus and your report here I think I as well will be buying my generator through them.

Finally went out to a local dealer to check out the generators in person and will be going with the 2400 as well. The 3000 is just too heavy to be practical for my needs.

Thanks again for the info. jk
JK3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusLivy
And since U.S. Carburetion seems to be the major player in the propane generator market . . . Titus
Have you heard of Onan?
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Business Sense?

Just called them (US Carbur...) at 5:01pm. "We are closed, regular business hours from 9:30 to 4:30 monday through friday."

Must be deer huntin season!

Last night I called Wise at 7:30pm EDT and 1st ring Ed answered, and I find out he is one of the owners? I asked why he was still at work and something about doing inventory.
chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Glad to read of your success, Titus. I'm the guy you referred to in your first post and agree with your assessment.

My feeling still is that this is a great unit and US Carb will get the job done. I look forward to many years of satisfaction.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK3500
Finally went out to a local dealer to check out the generators in person and will be going with the 2400 as well. The 3000 is just too heavy to be practical for my needs.
I'm wondering why most people seem to ignore the EF2800i? It's a tick lighter than the 2400 and if it's enough to run the AC a whole lot cheaper and easier than paralleling two 2400s.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ditto your observations. Love my 1000. The 2400 nor the 2800 series would power my 15k BTU A/C unit solo, so, I opted for the smalles footprint that would charge my batts, run my fantastic vents at full draw, run the stereo and when none of these are running, run my electric 1hp chain saw.

Same problem with me. Have and SUV and don't want to transport can of gas in the trailer or SUV.

Works great all around and I too look fwd to many years of use.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Woodland Park , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem
Have you heard of Onan?
I looked at the Onans. From what I can see, they have portables and they have propane generators but they don't have portable propane generators. Plus their 2500 lp weighs and costs as much as the Yamaha 3000 seb with propane conversion. Which is why, I think, the Yamahas and Hondas are more popular.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:30 PM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Thumbs up I vote for US carb

I told them when I had to have it when I ordered and they came through. I think it is fair to say they are having growing pains. I love my 2400 and yes, it looks like it will run my AC OK.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:34 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Woodland Park , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden
I'm wondering why most people seem to ignore the EF2800i? It's a tick lighter than the 2400 and if it's enough to run the AC a whole lot cheaper and easier than paralleling two 2400s.

-Bernie
Bernie,

How does the sound level of the 2800 compare to the 2400? I would consider it if it is not too loud.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:42 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Woodland Park , Colorado
Quote:

-Bernie
Also, Does it run your A/C? What size do you have? Thanks, jk
Old 04-27-2007, 06:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Do it yourself!

As most of the folks here on the Forum are quite mechanically adept, one should be able to either:

1) remove the gasoline carb from their Yamaha and send it back to US Carb for them to do the LP conversion....(this is done at NO CHARGE when you order the conversion kit)

.....................................OR........... ...........................

2)Buy the conversion kit from US Carb and do the conversion yourself.

I have done both, and the service was excellent both times. I sent them the carb from a dead 7000watt Onan gasser and they converted it and returned all of the parts, along with the conversion stuff like quick connects, pancake regulator, hoses, etc.

I also have a Yamaha EF1000iS that I will be converting myself. The instructions are crystal clear, and you save the time and $$$ on shipping them your carb, plus you get to know your new generator inside and out!

Just another way to get a Yamaha the way you want it!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:

-Bernie
Bernie---I had a 2800 for a short while and found it to noisy. it wasn't bad at the low rpms but under load as when running an ac it was Just To Loud ! It would run our 13500 ac but only with nothing else on,at altitude it struggled. Traded for 2 Honda 2000's----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:58 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Bernie---I had a 2800 for a short while and found it to noisy. it wasn't bad at the low rpms but under load as when running an ac it was Just To Loud ! It would run our 13500 ac but only with nothing else on,at altitude it struggled. Traded for 2 Honda 2000's----pieman
Did you have propane or regualr gas? Not that would make a difference in noise levels...just curious.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:41 AM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
a geek moment

I'm going from memory here so don't quote me. The 2800 (if I recall correctly) is about 10 decibles louder than the 2400. I think 60-70 and 50-60 decibles respectively (ranges based on load). Looking at the modest difference you might think this additonal noise from using the 2800 wouldnt amount to much. WRONG-O! Don't forget that the decible scale is logarigthmic, hence a 10 dB increase from 60 to 70 represents TWICE the sound.

As a matter of reference, normal conversation is rated at 60dB, and a lawn mower 70 dB. So the question is would you rather have the noise from a conversation next to your camper, or a lawn mower (and which would your neighbors want). The 1000 is in the 50-60 dB range and is better yet unless you might need more power. Because I might need to be able to run the AC, and will be using mine to run power tools, I opted for the 2400.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:57 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Can you get remote start for the generator the OP mentions?
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:49 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Woodland Park , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I'm going from memory here so don't quote me. The 2800 (if I recall correctly) is about 10 decibles louder than the 2400. I think 60-70 and 50-60 decibles respectively (ranges based on load). Looking at the modest difference you might think this additonal noise from using the 2800 wouldnt amount to much. WRONG-O! Don't forget that the decible scale is logarigthmic, hence a 10 dB increase from 60 to 70 represents TWICE the sound.

As a matter of reference, normal conversation is rated at 60dB, and a lawn mower 70 dB. So the question is would you rather have the noise from a conversation next to your camper, or a lawn mower (and which would your neighbors want). The 1000 is in the 50-60 dB range and is better yet unless you might need more power. Because I might need to be able to run the AC, and will be using mine to run power tools, I opted for the 2400.
Well, that settles it for me. 2400 it is. Thanks Rodney. jk
Old 04-28-2007, 08:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Hold the phone .

True, the 2800 is louder. It's the same engine as the 2400 so why is it louder? Answer is it doesn't have all the noise insulation wrapped around it. That's why, even though it's got a larger generator it's still lighter. My thought with the 2800 is I can get a "dog house" that will act as a storage/transport case and the lid will do double duty as a sound barrier. OK, that's the thought; I haven't gotten that far yet .

Point #2 which is the big issue. The noise is related to load. The specs really don't tell the story. When you have the 2800 under full load it is loud. OK, not REALLY LOUD but more than you'd want to stand next to and talk (although you can... Heh? wa'da you say? ) I haven't run the 2800 side by side with a 2400 but it wouldn't surprise me if at partial load the 2800 ran at a lower rpm (more capacity) which would offset the sound dampening of the 2400 ?

Moral of the story is you really have to experience it under real world conditions to know. I have no doubt the 2400 is quieter that the 2800. I know the 2800 is "loud" compared to a Honda 2000. However, a Honda 2000 would NOT have done what I asked of the 2800 this winter during a week long power outage and since a great deal of the justification for buying the generator was as a home back-up I'm really happy I went with the 2800.

Back to the A/C question; I finally got a chance to try my Yamaha EF2800i with the A/C in the trailer today. The trailer, a '78 Argosy 24, I finally figured out has only a 10,000 BTU A/C. The answer is.... the generator doesn't even notice when the A/C starts up. The Yamaha (like the Honda) has an Economy Switch which means the rpm ramps up when it encounters a load. Well, it doesn't noticably rev up off idle when the AC starts. NO WHERE NEAR the load of the Microwave in the house. Even the house refigerator pulls more start-up current than the trailer A/C. With the A/C running full bore the generator is sitting on idle

While the 2800 is loud under full load at idle it's reasonably quite. That's more than I can say for the A/C in the trailer. We're back to real world here. Standing under the A/C to turn it on I literally could not hear the generator. I had to have the wife tell me if she even heard it idle up. With the door open on the trailer I had to walk up front to even hear the generator running. Standing in the doorway the A/C still made WAY more noise than the generator only 10 feet away. So, while the Honda might be nice for the people in the campsite next door (the one's in a tent with no A/C well, it's irrelevant.

I suspect the people having trouble with 10,000-13,500 A/C running on less than 3,000 watt generators have an issue with the start-up capacitors on the A/C

It's amazing and confusing to read all the conflicting reports but having seen it with my own eyes (and heard it with my own ears) I have no doubt a 2400 would have powered our A/C just fine. Still, I'm happy with the 2800 since I did use it's capacity running the home during our week long winter storm.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:40 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Woodland Park , Colorado
Took your advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
As most of the folks here on the Forum are quite mechanically adept, one should be able to either:

2)Buy the conversion kit from US Carb and do the conversion yourself.
Lew,

After calling US Carb on Friday to find out again they had no idea when they would have the Yamaha generators in stock I decided to take your advice. Ordered the Yamaha EF2400is and an hourmeter/tach from Wise generators and the conversion kit from US Carb. Saved about $150 overall, about 3-4 weeks waiting for a generator and am looking forward to putting it together. Installing a 3 stage Parallax conversion and Trimetric battery monitor this weekend gave me a confidence boost. Install on the converter and monitor was really straightforward and Randy at BestConverter.com was extremely helpful and responsive to questions I had. I would highly recommend him for anyone looking to upgrade their power system. jk