Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2008, 07:59 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Las Vegas , Nevada
I hate to jump in here and burst the bubble but I based doing business with US Carb and having my Honda EU2000 converted on a lot of the threads of this fine Forum, including this one.

My experience with US Carb has been a nightmare. Before you do business with these people and let them take your money like they did mine and another member of the Forum, do yourself a favor and read through the following thread all the way to the last one today.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ded-46854.html

Buyer Beware! US Carb has unacceptable non-existent customer service and an unreliable product. I'm still sitting here 45 days + after they cashed my check, having spent SIX DAYS of total time trying to get my genny to start. So far I'm over $1300 out-of-pocket on what is now a 50 lb Honda / US Carb boat anchor!
robstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I have a Yamaha 3000 I got this fall and plan on having US Carb convert it to propane in the spring. I have about 140 hours on it now with gas and the only trouble I have had was after about 40 hours it shut down on low oil so I thought that is normal at break in, so I filled it up and changed oil at 50 hours as per instructions. It shut down again after about 60 hours so I topped it up and haven't had the need to run it much more. I was wondering if anyone else has had this trouble? I have included some pics of how I set my gen. up to be able to use it without taking it in and out of the truck.

Marvin
Attached Images

WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:17 AM   #43
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
No Comment on C/S

Honda 2000
I can't comment on their customer service, my only phone call was when I ordered the kit. The carb was returned promptly after modification.

The conversion has worked flawlessly for 170hrs. Switching from LPG is easy, no exhaust fumes, lower exhaust temps. The only gas I carry now is in the Honda's tank, it's sealed very well and I have not had any fumes whether in the TV or coach. ( We carry the Honda in a 22gal Rubbermaid Action Packer)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HONDA CONVERSION add vid pix2-3 006.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	73092  
Old 11-08-2009, 03:02 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Spring , Texas
Yamaha 3000iseb

I bought a yamaha 3000iseb and chose not to go with the propane conversion due to if yamaha was not making it as a propane unit then they must have had a good reason for it, since so many people are looking for that feature. Also, I did not like the way the regulator is mounted to the outside of the gen, but mainly my reason was that I felt that the people at yamaha designed the generator to run on gasoline and not for an aftermarket company to convert just the carb to propane and not take the rest of the gen into account.
Ken Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #45
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Michael View Post
I bought a yamaha 3000iseb and chose not to go with the propane conversion due to if yamaha was not making it as a propane unit then they must have had a good reason for it, since so many people are looking for that feature. Also, I did not like the way the regulator is mounted to the outside of the gen, but mainly my reason was that I felt that the people at yamaha designed the generator to run on gasoline and not for an aftermarket company to convert just the carb to propane and not take the rest of the gen into account.
Since Yamaha maintains their original factory warranty on these propane-converted units, perhaps they know a little more about the matter and they're ok for this "aftermarket company to convert just the carb to propane and not take the rest of the gen into account".

Rather than some fundamental incompatibility issue in the post-carburetor engine mechanics as you seem to imply -- or even more unlikely the electrical generation components (!) -- it's more likely Yamaha hadn't come out with a propane option themselves because
  • it's a relatively niche market;
  • would substantially increase the already-premium-priced bottom line to the customer;
  • plus, as you already noted, the large pancake regulator has to be packaged somewhere, and it just ain't all that sexy from a marketing perspective.
It's ok if you don't want to have the tri-fuel conversion, your post just comes off a bit like a wet blanket to those of us who have it and are very pleased with the results (and continued Yamaha support).

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #46

Summersville , West Virginia
We would like to reply to some of the reviews on this forum that have been posted regarding US Carburetion, Inc. Even though we are the newest management we are sorry for any inconveniences that some may have experienced a few years ago. After checking our records, it is a fact that we had some issues that were the result of quality control by the manufacturer of our engine regulators. The company was required to bench test all assembled zero governors and apparently did not abide by the contract which caused performance issues. Unfortunately, it takes some customers having problems before the situation comes to light. However, once identified and corrected, all customers were fully taken care of to their ultimate satisfaction. That manufacturer was terminated. We painstakingly design our systems so that those who are mechanically inclined have very few problems installing our conversion kits on their generators. The most common problem is the use of a new, incorrectly purged, propane tank which makes most installers think it's the engine conversion equipment.

As far as our customer relations, we have worked hard over the last couple of years to hire more staff to handle all the emails and phone calls that we receive. We continue to grow and expand every year. And we are taking positive steps to keep up with expansion. US Carburetion has been in business for 15 years now thanks to our thousands of satisfied customers. For our volume of business, we take seriously even a few misunderstandings that we have had along the way. This management is committed to correcting any issue a customer may have and always to their complete satisfaction.
US CARB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #47
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
As one of your satisfied customers, I applaud your response to the issues you have identified. Better communication can only help to grow your business. Poor communication can overwhelm all your best efforts.

My posts earlier in this thread were expressions of concern when I could not get a response. I'm sure others were worried as well. I was delighted when my genny appeared and remain so. I recommend US Carb.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

san diego , California
I need a little help here with pictures please

I just got my kit for my 2400! The instructions were a little bad. Anyone have some picture of the install? Any videos for the 2400? Do you have to cut out a hole for the hose? Where is the best place to mount the reg on the panel?
Thanks for your help
Doug
sandiegoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:25 AM   #49
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoguy View Post
I just got my kit for my 2400! The instructions were a little bad. Anyone have some picture of the install? Any videos for the 2400? Do you have to cut out a hole for the hose? Where is the best place to mount the reg on the panel?
Thanks for your help
Doug
Doug,

No experience with the 2400, I converted a 2000i Honda 5 yrs ago and the instructions were pretty vague at that time. I also found it helpful to use a more flexible supply line from the regulator to the carb connection. Made it much easier to route the line without kinks/restrictions.
I used a fuel line designed for RC models, yellow and surgical tubing, green.

I would contact US Carb, ck. post 46, see if they can get you on the right track.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PROPANE CONVERSION, HONDA 2000 012.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	140527   Click image for larger version

Name:	PROPANE CONVERSION, HONDA 2000 014.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	140528  

Views:	236
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	140529  
Old 09-19-2011, 06:05 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Martin , Georgia
2400 LP Regulator

Here are the pictures. I bought this with the LP regulator installed.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09972.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	140533

Name:	DSC09971.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	140531

Name:	DSC09967.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	140530

Name:	DSC09970.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	140532
Dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:56 AM   #51
1 Rivet Member

san diego , California
Thanks guys! Anyone else have some pictures of there Yahama 2400?
Old 09-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #52

2002 19' Bambi
Richmond , Virginia
Yamaha 2400is propane conversion

The pics provided are very similar to my own install. One note of caution: UsCarb does not provide a gas rated cut off valve on the propane hose between the regulator and the carb. This valve is essential if you are intending to use both gas and propane, as the propane line, even if you have put a quick connect on the end of the regulator, needs to be able to be shut off in order to not interfer with the air intake on the carb when running gas. This caused an overly rich mixture when running on gas that fouled the exhaust with far too much carbon. This is not an altitude issue that many others have had when going above 5-8K feet...this is a sea level issue. I think US Carb is not so clear about this and doesn't provide the shut off for the propane line. When asked about it (and it is buried in the instructions) it is clear that the propane line between the mounted regulator and the carb intake needs to be capped or shut off with a valve when running on gas. I chose to install a cut off valve with a fitting on each end to attach the propane line (with clamps). This cut off needs to be rated for use with propane. Lowes has the valve and the fittings and clamps (around $13.00). I simply cut the propane line after it entered the interior of the generator and before it attached to the carb assembly. You do need a straight enough area of the propane line in order to not "kink" the line. Once installed, when running on gasoline, one simply closes the valve in order to avoid any air from be redirected out of the carb assembly and back towards the regulator. When running on propane simply open the value and with the 2400is gas valve off you are all set for real bi-fuel use. During the recent hurricane here in VA. I was able to use the generator for house power on gasoline. Of course, if you never intend to run gasoline, then just keep the gas fuel valve on the generator off and you are all set. I bought the 2400is for real on the go bi-fuel use and this valve is then essential according to USCarb. The instructions indicate adding a valve for the gasoline line, but on the Yamaha, there is already one in place to cut off the gas tank - in fact this is the procedure for shutting down the unit when running on gas. Also, remember to drain the carb bowl of gas by opening the screw on the bowl drain line in order to avoid keeping any gas in the carb when not in use or running on propane in order to avoid gumming up the carb and/or interferring with the propane. Hope this helps...also, the tach/hour meter is really a must in order to tune for propane and keeping track of hours for oil changes ect. BTW, the spark plug is gapped at .030 when running gas and .020 when running propane, so it is best to have two plugs on hand with each properly gapped and ready for exchange when running bi-fuels.
jgorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #53
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Boy am I out of code...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	165
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	140536  
Old 09-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #54
1 Rivet Member

san diego , California
Thanks Jgorde!!
I was thinking I would add a valve. Do you have a picture of your valve? Did you mount the reg on the back or the side? Any pictures would help out great. I think US carb needs to update there instructions and pictures!! Also I think I was shorted some hardware with my kit! Did they give you all the screws to mount the regulator?
Thanks again for your input!

Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorde View Post
The pics provided are very similar to my own install. One note of caution: UsCarb does not provide a gas rated cut off valve on the propane hose between the regulator and the carb. This valve is essential if you are intending to use both gas and propane, as the propane line, even if you have put a quick connect on the end of the regulator, needs to be able to be shut off in order to not interfer with the air intake on the carb when running gas. This caused an overly rich mixture when running on gas that fouled the exhaust with far too much carbon. This is not an altitude issue that many others have had when going above 5-8K feet...this is a sea level issue. I think US Carb is not so clear about this and doesn't provide the shut off for the propane line. When asked about it (and it is buried in the instructions) it is clear that the propane line between the mounted regulator and the carb intake needs to be capped or shut off with a valve when running on gas. I chose to install a cut off valve with a fitting on each end to attach the propane line (with clamps). This cut off needs to be rated for use with propane. Lowes has the valve and the fittings and clamps (around $13.00). I simply cut the propane line after it entered the interior of the generator and before it attached to the carb assembly. You do need a straight enough area of the propane line in order to not "kink" the line. Once installed, when running on gasoline, one simply closes the valve in order to avoid any air from be redirected out of the carb assembly and back towards the regulator. When running on propane simply open the value and with the 2400is gas valve off you are all set for real bi-fuel use. During the recent hurricane here in VA. I was able to use the generator for house power on gasoline. Of course, if you never intend to run gasoline, then just keep the gas fuel valve on the generator off and you are all set. I bought the 2400is for real on the go bi-fuel use and this valve is then essential according to USCarb. The instructions indicate adding a valve for the gasoline line, but on the Yamaha, there is already one in place to cut off the gas tank - in fact this is the procedure for shutting down the unit when running on gas. Also, remember to drain the carb bowl of gas by opening the screw on the bowl drain line in order to avoid keeping any gas in the carb when not in use or running on propane in order to avoid gumming up the carb and/or interferring with the propane. Hope this helps...also, the tach/hour meter is really a must in order to tune for propane and keeping track of hours for oil changes ect. BTW, the spark plug is gapped at .030 when running gas and .020 when running propane, so it is best to have two plugs on hand with each properly gapped and ready for exchange when running bi-fuels.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #55
1 Rivet Member

san diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan View Post
Here are the pictures. I bought this with the LP regulator installed.Attachment 140533

Attachment 140531

Attachment 140530

Attachment 140532
Did you make the plate or did it come like that?
Old 09-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #56
1 Rivet Member

san diego , California
Bob Now that is funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Boy am I out of code...

You better get that fixed soon!!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #57
1 Rivet Member

san diego , California
Getting ready to make the mount!

Almost there! I got the valve installed!
Anyone else put a valve in?
More pictures would be great!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	valve.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	140581  
Old 09-20-2011, 05:01 AM   #58
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
YEP!!

Works great....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PROPANE CONVERSION, HONDA 2000 014.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	140605  
Old 09-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #59

2002 19' Bambi
Richmond , Virginia
Gas valve on 2400is

My install is very similar, except that I put the valve in the propane line after it went through the housing. I have to take the side cover off, however I did this to remind me to change out the plugs for the difference in gap...otherwise I would have put it outside. The box I use to store the unit on the front end of my SUV on the cargo carrier (I mounted a receiver on the front end for this purpose) is a Contico with wheels on one end and a hinged top. The 2400is fits in perfectly along with my ground stake and propane/quick connect line, an extra quart of oil and the 12 volt lines. One other comment - Yamaha has come out with a new high performance version of the 2400is. This machine has added benefits and one big down side - you trade the added high performance capacity for the parallel option of stringing two units together. I wanted the option of adding a second unit, bringing my capacity up to 4800 so I would still stay with the 2400is if I was buying today. However, I understand that the new version has a little bit more start up capacity for those with close calls on their AC's - particularly on hard start 13,500s where some seem to be fine and others are very borderline. The contico container on the cargo carrier on the front of the SUV eliminates having to carry the generator inside the vehicle and allows for an off ground station for it with the line running from the generator on the front of the SUV to the tanks on board my airstream...perfect set-up for my purposes.
jgorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #60
1 Rivet Member

san diego , California
Sounds like a great setup!

I just got new pics for the new people to see!

Hope this helps!
Attached Images