Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1984 34' Limited
Dallas , Texas
I Love my Honda EU2000i Generators

I don't boondock (not yet anyway) except that I drag the 34' Limited to the infield of the Texas Motor Speedway twice a year. Last year I got tired of refilling the tanks on my two EU2000i and made the jump to propane. The propane conversion is pretty slick and I plumbed LP off the coach so I can tap right into the onboard tanks.

Well during the April race, one of the generators seized up. I figured it had something to do with the propoane conversion, although I had no idea what. I just figured it must have been my fault. I was pretty bummed. I kept meaning to take it into to the shop to have it looked at, but I kept putting it off.

Well, the next race was this past Sunday. I waited too long to get it repaired and didn't know what to do. Being mechanically inclined, I decided to take it apart since I figured I had nothing to lose. I tore the whole thing down and discovered that the connecting rod had come apart causing the engine to seize. My local Honda shop set me up with a new connecting rod and a service manual. A few hours later, presto. The part was $40, and it fired right up once I got all the parts back on.

My pair of Hondas ran 36 hours straight this weekend on a single 40# bottle of propane. I couldn't be more satisfied with them.

Once all the window dressing is removed from these gensets, the engines are incredibly simple and very easy to repair. The tech said I must have let the oil run low. I thought the oil sensor would prevent that. It looked to me like one of the screws holding the connecting rod together just vibrated out and the other sheared. In any event, the propane conversion was not the culprit and these puppies are still runnin' strong.

PanaBax

Whoever said
"it's not whether you win or lose"
probably lost!
panabax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
Interesting post - hope you don't mind a few questions...

1) Do you have any info on where to get the propane conversion?

2) Is there any loss in generator output for using propane vs gasoline?

3) Any real world experience on how long you can run the generator on a full tank of propane?

Well done on going ahead and tackling the repair of the rod yourself - there are a lot of things that we can fix ourselves if we have the confidence to give it a try!
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
I too an interested in who made the conversion. According to Honda, using propane fuel voids the warranty. No big surprise there.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1984 34' Limited
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
1) Do you have any info on where to get the propane conversion?
I got the conversion kits from US Carburetion (Generator Conversion Kits to Propane and Natural Gas.). I used the Type A kit ($157).

The installation is pretty straigh forward. You remove the plastic cover, remove the gas tank, plug up certain parts of the carbuetor, drill out the carb where the jet is otherwise (ouch) and start plumbing. The only tricky issues on this genset are (1) where to install the propane regulator or valve or whatever it's called (it will fit where the gas tank was, but you have to fabricate some sort of bracket) and (2) access to the primer button. The regulator or valve or whatever has a button which, when pressed, allows propane to flow. It's a primer. With it, the genset starts up 1st time every time. No need to choke, ever. Without it, I have to choke to create enough suction to get the propane flowing. It makes starting a little more tricky since it won't run choked. You've got to kill the choke pretty much as soon as it fires. My next project is to fashion a means of operating the primer button. The kit is actually generic, but I had little difficulty getting it running. I pretty much figured the warranty was gone when I converted them, but the only terminal change is the drilling of the carburetor. You can get a new carb for $103.44 at Plano Power Equiptment. I guess you could put it back together and I don't know how they'd know it ran on propane. My real concern was not the warranty, but the thought that I really fried it, which I guess I did, but a $40 repair bill was good news to me. I'm sure it would have cost a lot more for them to repair it. Bottom line, be sure and top off your oil every time. I have not yet checked the generators after the race to see where the oil level is. I'm interested to know to what extent they burn oil.

Quote:
This, I don't know. I ran them with gas and was satisfied with the power, but not with the run time or the smell in the back of the car. On propane, they operate my 15K BTU A/C no problem on eco mode as well as all other electronics on board except the microwave. I have a 1600 Watt microwave that will run with the A/C running, but it doesn't seem to get stuff very hot. I just turn the thermostat up when I need to use the microwave, then it works fine as well.

Quote:
3) Any real world experience on how long you can run the generator on a full tank of propane?
I have two 40# bottles of LP on the coach. One was full, one was about 20%. The gensets ran 36 hours starigt (Saturday morning to Sunday evening). The A/C was on all that time, but didn't cycle on much Sat. night (It didn't cycle off much during the day). The tank with 20% ran dry and it switched over to the second tank. I have not pulled it off to see how much LP is still in it, but it was still running when I shut the gas off to the gensets. I know it's not very technical, but I am sure I could run these things non-stop an entire weekend without a problem on two 40# bottles.

Let me know if you decide to do the conversion as I have climbed the learning curve on the kit installation. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

PanaBax

Whoever said
"it's not whether you win or lose"
probably lost!
panabax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
An Alternative

An alternative to converting to propane is to expand upon the amount of fuel you have available. I found a guide on another RV website that details how to expand your fuel useage for the Eu 2000i's.

Basically you purchase 2 new Honda gas caps and remove the vents. Next you drill out a hole in the top of the cap and install either an Evinrude or Mercury marine fuel fitting. Apply a small amount of JB weld to the fitting and install it in the top of the new gas cap. This will 'seal the deal' and there you have it. Make the connections to the marine fuel tank.

I now have a fuel capacity of 7 gals per generator and it set me back $100.

I had thought about converting to propane but figured its much easier to find gasoline when needed. Of course I have a truck so if you're TV is a suburban style vehicle I'd probably run with the propane gig.

Good luck!

PS. Maybe I'll see you guys at TMS in April!
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
loss of power

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM16CCD
Yes,
anytime you go to a less dense fuel you will loose power.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:10 PM   #7

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny
An alternative to converting to propane is to expand upon the amount of fuel you have available. I found a guide on another RV website that details how to expand your fuel useage for the Eu 2000i's.

Basically you purchase 2 new Honda gas caps and remove the vents. Next you drill out a hole in the top of the cap and install either an Evinrude or Mercury marine fuel fitting. Apply a small amount of JB weld to the fitting and install it in the top of the new gas cap. This will 'seal the deal' and there you have it. Make the connections to the marine fuel tank.

I now have a fuel capacity of 7 gals per generator and it set me back $100.

I had thought about converting to propane but figured its much easier to find gasoline when needed. Of course I have a truck so if you're TV is a suburban style vehicle I'd probably run with the propane gig.

Good luck!

PS. Maybe I'll see you guys at TMS in April!
I like this idea but then do you need to have the marine tank above the generator? How does it siphon out of the marine tank?

Old 03-31-2008, 05:26 AM   #8
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Great post Baxter - nice detail, thanks!

I also like the idea of a separate marine fuel source. Same question tho', all things being equal in terms of load, does how does 40# of propane compare to 14 gallons (7X2) of gasoline? In the summertime around these parts, won't be using much propane other than for cooking... and most cooking would be done in the microwave.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
That funny shaped 'pancake regulator' with the priming button on the back is a Garretson demand regulator. You need to hit the prime button to inject a little LP into the carb to start the gen. The regulator then operates on vaccuum from the carb until you turn it of, when the regulator will close and shut off the flow of LP.

You would need a manual valve and turn it on/off every time you used the gen if you didn't have it......not to mention the safety factor of having LP vapor escaping if the gen shut down for some other reason and you weren't in the vacinity to turn it off.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:43 AM   #10
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
They make a commercially available siphon tank for two Hondas. It does not need to be elevated above the generators. Cost is about $120. Hooks right up.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:12 AM   #11

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw
They make a commercially available siphon tank for two Hondas. It does not need to be elevated above the generators. Cost is about $120. Hooks right up.

Tom
Where does one get this product?

Old 03-31-2008, 09:50 AM   #12
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Right here; Duration Power || Ext. Run Tanks.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:12 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Here's how I did it. Keep in mind it cost less than $100, where the commercial vendor wants $120 for each tank.

You can save youself a bunch of money by just buying a marine gas tank, 2 marine fittings and a marine hose w/squeese ball. One marine fitting is threaded into an extra generator cap the other marine fitting is threaded into the gas tank. All parts except the gas caps were at Academy Sports. I recommend buying a new gas cap for your marine fitting because that allows you to remove it and put on the 'stock' cap for travelling.

When I'm ready to crank them up, I just set my marine tanks beside the generators and fire them up. Because all of these parts are for marine application they are heavy duty and safety oriented.

I did this set up for both of my 2000i's and I spent a little under $100 for both generators.

Attached image(s)
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #14

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I've been using the Duration Power 6 gallon tank to run my two guys (Amos and Leon). It's pretty slick and works like a charm.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #15

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Brandon , Florida
Pair of Honda eu2000i Generators w/GenTran Parallel Kit for sale

Pair of Honda eu2000i Generators w/GenTran Parallel Kit for sale.

I am located in Tampa, Fl and am selling my pair of Honda eu2000i Generators. They are in good condition and run GREAT! They have never let me down!

The front cover on one of them has a melted spot where it was against the tail pipe of my van while set up at a market once. I have ordered a replacement cover for it and should have the cover sometime early next week. Other than the cover that I need to replace they are clean!

I am asking $1600. for the pair along with the GenTran Parallel Kit and an adapter plug to plug into the GenTran's 30 amp recepticle in order to plug in a 20 amp cord.

Also included are a pair of the Silver Honda covers for them.

The generators where only used by me when I was set up at flea markets to sell where I had no power access.

They were NEVER abused or ran for more than 8 hours continous.

If you want a pair of Honda eu2000i Generators to convert over to Propane and do not want to spend the price that brand new ones are only to lose your warranty when you convert them, here is a RELIABLE pair for a GOOD PRICE!
jamesworley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
I just ordered the system from Wise. It is set up for a two generator operation but will work for one or two. I haven't ordered my second generator yet but wanted to prepare for the time when it arrives. I just hope it works as advertised. jc
Lifeline AGM's
rustyrivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Bluffton , South Carolina
Honda EU2000i Tri-fuel conversion

I just finished the first of my Honda generator Tri-fuel conversion kit by CMD and thought I'd send along my project.

For the conversion, they ask you to send in your carb to ad the gas line tap that will make it run on propane or natural gas. Well, I took off the carb but a throttle controller on top had a long cable attached, and I didn't see a good way to disconnect the cable. So removed the controller, which has a small spring loaded junction block mating it to the carb. What I did not know, a member later informed me, was the fact the cover to the controller has a disconnect for the electrical cable. In the mean time, I sent in the carb without the controller and they returned it with the conversion. But as I put it back together, the stand offs on the controller would not reassemble, so I called them. Well, most people find out how to remover that offending cable and the carb is converted with the controller in place. So a quick call to sales and I find that a small relief is cut under the stand off and yes it does work.

The other modification I picked up on the forum, is making the gas hose pass thru the top of the side panel and not thru the bottom. I showed with the picture, that the panel will come off to access the engine, gas line shut off and oil port. The kit has another length of gas hose, taking it out the bottom and up to the regulator.

So if your going to use Central Marine Diesel tri-fuel conversion, and have a Honda, take note that the controller cover is removable and the electrical cable will unplug, so you can let them do the total conversion. For those who want to do it the hard way, a dremel tool, a small saw blade will cut the relief and the hose fitting will pass underneath the controller.

I wanted the natural gas option to use for house power it I ever need it and natural gas hardly ever get shut off in a storm.(Hopefully) And gas when I need a portable power source for fishing or camping.

Good system if you need it.

See you on the road...........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic002.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	102168   Click image for larger version

Name:	gen with cover off..jpg
Views:	661
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	102171  

fred bartlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
I too thought about converting to propane to run 2 Honda 2000is. I was told by the seller of the Hondas that the conversion would invalidate the warranty so I decided on an extended run gasoline system. I purchased a dual set-up from Wisesales which I believe was made by Duration Power. It was supposed to be a turn-key operation; just hook it up and crank'em up. The system cost about $150 including shipping. When it arrived, I was suprised to find that it did not include the gas caps that made the system function. The directions said to take apart the original Honda gas caps and insert the fueling apparatus through the lid. I tried, but it wouldn't go through the hole. I called Wise sales and they told me that I needed to drill out the gas caps. This upset me a bit, since this was supposed to be a turnkey operation. Once drilled out, you can no longer use the caps as originally intended by Honda so you will need to purchase two addditional gas caps at a cost of about $17 each, so the cost of the system just went to $184. At this point, I informed Wisesales the system had never been used or had any put fuel in it, so I would like to return it to them. They informed me that I would have to pay return shipping plus a 15% "restocking fee". I decided to keep the system and, used it last week for the first time. The system functions fine but has one great shortcoming in my humble opinion. There are no quick-disconnects in the system. There is no easy way to disconnect the gas can from the hoses or the generators. Some of the systems on-line come with quick-disconnects(VM Sales, I think) like those used with outboard motor tanks and that would be a big advantage. The entire system I received is made with 1/8" fuel line. I have looked all over the internet for inline quick-disconnects to fit the fuel line but can't find them any where. If you are thinking of buying one of these systems, do your homework and make sure you get what you think you are getting. If I can't find the disconnects, I am going to replace the lines with 1/4" as components are more available. If I were to do this again, I would build it myself. Lots of information on-line. jc
Lifeline AGM's
rustyrivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #19
jak

2011 16' Sport
2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Bocas , Bocas del Toro
Central marine diesel Eu2000i conversion

I bought a Central Marine Diesel conversion kit for my Honda Eu2000i but as I live in Panama I couldn't easily get them to drill my carb. they did send a very unclear photo which I have now lost. As they keep sending me their basic info to my queries I was wondering if anybody has a clear image of where the carb is drilled. everything else has always been clear but finding good instructions seems to be proving impossible. If anybody can help i would greatly appreciate it.

jak
jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Why 2000i x2 rather than the Eu 3000i Handi

I have noticed that most on here have the Eu2000i along with its companion rather than going with the Eu 3000i Handi. Why is that? I would think one larger unit would be easier to haul,taking less space,less maintaince and the final cost is about the same.The specs for the 3000 says that it can handle A/C of 13.5 BTU which is the main reason that we would by a generator.

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote