Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #1

1968 24' Tradewind
NYC , New York
Question Generator Questions

Hey,
I am very new to the Airstream community and have been put in charge of putting together an Airstream Shop in NYC. We are going to need a generator to run the electronics in the AS but I have a very poor knowledge of both generators and Airstreams. In the trailer we ill probably be needing to run maybe 3 laptops, a television, projector, AC, 1000 watts worth of lights and other miscelanious electronics like cell phone and ipod chargers.
The Airstream we have is a 1968 Tradewind. The generator would need to be quiet and as reliable and simple as possible. Which models would be the best for our needs and how expensive would it be?
Thanks for any help!
Mimi
Mimimedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome to the forums Mimimedia, The first thing you should do is to find out as close as you can the amount of power you will need. This site may help you. How to pick the right Generator, Diesel Generator, Propane Generator, Gas Generator, Home Generator, and Portable Generators.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimimedia View Post
Hey,
I am very new to the Airstream community and have been put in charge of putting together an Airstream Shop in NYC. We are going to need a generator to run the electronics in the AS but I have a very poor knowledge of both generators and Airstreams. In the trailer we ill probably be needing to run maybe 3 laptops, a television, projector, AC, 1000 watts worth of lights and other miscelanious electronics like cell phone and ipod chargers.
The Airstream we have is a 1968 Tradewind. The generator would need to be quiet and as reliable and simple as possible. Which models would be the best for our needs and how expensive would it be?
Thanks for any help!
Mimi
Sounds like a 5000w generator or higher will do the trick for that load. The A/C will take 3000w alone.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Your best options for quiet generators that produce clean power suitable for electornics will be Hondas or Yamahas... And for the kind of needs you describe, you may want to run two 3000w generators in parallel, which should give you plenty of power to do the job.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
For electronics and electrical gear the Honda Inverter generators would be my first choice. I would think you won't want anything much under 6,000 watts with what you have listed. An EU6500iSA is going to run around $5,000. We have one at work that we use to power up temporary offices, it has paid for itself several times over. It is a very quiet generator, you can literal carry on a conversation while standing next to it.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #6

1968 24' Tradewind
NYC , New York
Generator

Thank you all so much for your help. I had figured about the same but a 6000watt generator is very expensive for us right now. 600-800$$ is a lot of money, I found a generator 6000watt for 450$ by All power America but I want to know if its best not to trust cheaper models and spend more money on a honda/yamaha.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I don't know about "All power America" but the cheap ones are usually loud and are built with engines that are only good for 1000 hours of operation or so.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Thank you all so much for your help. I had figured about the same but a 6000watt generator is very expensive for us right now. 600-800$$ is a lot of money, I found a generator 6000watt for 450$ by All power America but I want to know if its best not to trust cheaper models and spend more money on a honda/yamaha.
Basicly there are 2 types of generators loud and quiet. All the quiet generators are brand name inverter generators such as Honda or Yamaha. Honda and Yamaha also make the noisy non inverter type which are cheaper than the inverter type but more reliable than some chinese off brand. A non inverter generator of the watts you need will be very, very noisy. An inverter type generator will cost 2 or 3 times what a non inverter generator will. $600- $800 would be very cheap. You are looking at a couple of thousand for a 5-6000 watt inverter. Compare manufacturers spec for decibel output to determine loudness. Would NYC zoning, building codes and business permits really let you set up a shop out of an Airstream with generator power?
Old 01-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:

I would buy a used Honda before I would even consider anything else. This is one of those cases where you really do get what you pay for.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #10

1968 24' Tradewind
NYC , New York
Thanks again for all your help. We also just came to discover that one of the tires is busted. Does anyone know how to get a tire for a 64 tradewind, and how much money that would be?
Old 01-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
_

. , .
very little money and very little understanding of all things electric right?

that's a tricky combo when mixed with BIG dreams...

we know nothing about the a/s in question...

for example is it ORIGINAL, has it been restored?

what sort of wiring is IN the roof and walls and what sort of OUTlets are on the INside....

and what sort of INlets are on the OUTside??

what sort of converter/charger is in the stream, how about the batteries?

wil the 'lighting' be 12v dc or 120v ac ?
_________

the juice bank u are suggestions may approach 50 amps or even be OVER that.

so the trailer may need to be wired for 50 amps or may need 2 30 amp runs...

so a more careful audit of the power needs (and highest amp loads) is needed with wiring and plugs and breakers to match...

now, having solved THAT issue selecting gensets is a lot simpler...

but not cheap.

honda 2000s can be paralleled UP to 3 units (6000 peak watts) but will still only have a 30 amp plug...

cost ~2700$

higher rated hondas up to the 4500 model for example, may work for MOST of the load with a smaller unit on the side for other stuff...

still lots of moola.

there is also the issue of CLEAN power for electronics in sensitive things

and that whole sine wave vs modified sine vs crude step wave stuff if using an inverter...

NONE of the cheap gensets are quiet unless u want try the kipor or other chinese knock offs of the yams' and 'das...

there are threads on those here too...
_______

busted tire? oh gee...

got any idea what size tire is ON it? how's the other one?

are they bias ply or radial?

is the rim/wheel busted too?

who needs tires.... are u planning to ROLL or tow this 'steam somewhere?

how are the axles and hubs and brakes and bearings?

all of those things need to be addressed for towing...

best of luck...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #12

Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up Solar Generator option

I have been looking into this option for off grid power.
SUNRNR w/US inverter, 8D battery, and solar panel
This is only one of the companies representing the sunrnr solar generator.
I purchased a 1953 Hanson Love Bug that only has gas and 110 electric power as it was before 12v were introduced to travel trailers. The fridge is a Marvel electric fridge (the lights are also electric) and instead of adding 12v lines and power, which would not power the fridge anyway, I was thinking this could be a good option for power when I am boondocking and also great power back up for home, when the power is out. I also think it's great to be green, it looks very simple, easy to use and set up/ transport. It looks to be to me a good short term solution with long term benefits. The only issue is "a little pricey", but not considering rewiring, and all of the items needed to install a 12v system, and as a bonus the sun is free, so no gas to purchase either.
Tell me what you think about this as an option?
camperco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Thanks again for all your help. We also just came to discover that one of the tires is busted. Does anyone know how to get a tire for a 64 tradewind, and how much money that would be?
The replacement tire should match the size of the other 3. If the other tires are more than 5 or so years old they should all be replaced. All tires have a shelf life. And a trailer tire that looks good but is old can have unseen deterioration. The common size on a 64 was probably a bias 7:00 15 a lot of people have switched to radial 225 75R 15. Figure $100 for a cheap off brand tire and $200 for a brand name tire.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperco1 View Post
I have been looking into this option for off grid power.
SUNRNR w/US inverter, 8D battery, and solar panel
Welcome to the forums.

Some Things to Consider:

1) How much sun where you will be traveling? Solar must have sun. Some parts of the world have clouds, or trees, or buildings, that block it, or are in northern latitudes where it is low in the sky

2) Package deals are always suspect since you may be able to assemble something better for your situation yourself.

2a) How are you going to mount the panels? How will you wire them to the controller? Nontrivial questions when the rig has to go down the road aat 70 mph over bumps, rr tracks

2b) Why use a glass mat 8D when flooded will do for less cost? Some people think it's worth it (I don't), be sure you understand why you're paying the extra $$$ at a minimum

2c) Be sure that the size and shape of the solar panel fit your needs since later you can add more but it is not practical to exchange for one that is 4" wider (or whatever)

2d) Be sure of the inverter you get. They vary considerably. Xantrex is among the best known. Look at maximum output, mounting options, power required at idle. There are inverter-chargers available that will charge the battery while on shore power which you might want to consider.

3) Where will the battery box go? What kind of battery box do they give you? Does it fit your situation? Consider weight, size, appearance

4) 8Ds are usually more expensive per watt and offer less mounting flexibility than other choices. Look at group 29 or 31 batteries or golf cart 6v batteries in series

Again, welcome
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote