Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Cummins Onan, Has anyone used them?

Costco - Limited Time Offer Cummins Onan Inverter Generators

Does anyone have any exsperience with the Cummons Onan generators? They seem to have the the ideal power for a variety of RV use. How quiet, ETC.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Here is a spec sheet for their 3200W model
Attached Files
File Type: pdf a-1504.pdf (127.3 KB, 117 views)
Old 10-31-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Here is a spec sheet for their 3200W model
Thank you for the reply..and I don't mean to sound irritated...but I have all the information and spec sheets. I just wanted to know if anyone has used them and what thier impressions are. The link on my first post has the spec sheets and prices etc.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I have a 6,500 watt Onan/Cummins Home Generator - new last year - but it doesn't have the quiet pack that these units appear to have - and it only costs about half as much. It's relatively noisy - but not bad for stand-by home use. That said, it looks like the output figures are very close to what a pair of Honda 2KW inverter generators, running in parallel would have. The big disadvantage of the unit in question is the 163 pound weight. This must be a fairly new product for Cummins as this is the first time I've seen it advertised. Maybe others can help more.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I had heard (and it might bo only rumor) that they were being manufactured for Cummins in CHINA .

In that case, Go with a Honda or Yamaha EF2400iS which will run your 13,500BTU roof air. Their reliability has been proven over and over, while the Cummins/Onan is new and if it is true that it's from CHINA.......RUN AWAY NOW!!

OTOH, The Onan Quiet Diesel series that I see in just about every big diesel MoHo on the road is a fine piece of machinery, but they are ade right here in the USA.......NOT CHINA!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Lew, you beat me to the punch. I was starting to write that nowhere does it say Made in the USA.

It looks like a Chinese knock-off of the Japanese inverter machines, doesn’t it?

The Onan name on the models may either be 1) a validation of Chinese manufacturing or 2) a way to charge extra to slap on an American name.

Take your pick.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:26 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Thanks for the reply. As noted they are new to onan. And I have my mind set on a Honds eu3000i. After all nobody can argue theres a better one out there and win the argument anyway. I was just curious as to who might have one? It hard NOT to buy a Honda genny.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:29 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
I guess you can put this thread down as fodder for conversation. Two things that can always be talked about is the weather, Generators....and who''s got the best two truck? ...wait thats three.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I have a new Onan 2800 (it's the only generator that fits in the B190's compartment, and I intended to use it on the road). I've had it just over a year now.

It has always been hard to start. But today it wouldn't start at all, and last time I tried to use it on the road it kept stalling.

Onan's documentation indicates the problem may be varnishing - i.e., I left it not running too long and now the gas has varnished up. It's possible but I'm not convinced - I did run it a lot (not the minimum 4 hours/month they recommend but it was run during the winter and all, and I used fuel stabilizer over the winter). If that really is what's wrong, they are very sensitive to it. I'm less than thrilled with the purchase.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 20
Burlington , Ontario
I have had a 3KW Onan for 35 years and it performs well , but noisy
It's still in the garage and I hope it just has to stay there.

Can't beat American or Canadian stuff.

Rae
ve3czn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
A friend of mine who is in charge of all the machinery at a large golf course swears by Stabil and that is what they run through all their equipment as winter sets in. On the other hand, another guy I know said they had nothing but trouble when using Stabil in jetskis as they sat on the lot or over winter. He is now using Seafoam.

I'd drain the tank, remove the fuel bowl and spray some Gumout through the carb. Replace the sparkplug, refuel and try again.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Hard-starting Onan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater
I have a new Onan 2800 (it's the only generator that fits in the B190's compartment, and I intended to use it on the road). I've had it just over a year now.

It has always been hard to start. But today it wouldn't start at all, and last time I tried to use it on the road it kept stalling.

Onan's documentation indicates the problem may be varnishing - i.e., I left it not running too long and now the gas has varnished up. It's possible but I'm not convinced - I did run it a lot (not the minimum 4 hours/month they recommend but it was run during the winter and all, and I used fuel stabilizer over the winter). If that really is what's wrong, they are very sensitive to it. I'm less than thrilled with the purchase.
I exercise my Onan every month or so - but it is always a PITA to start. It will readily flood if you dare to use the choke and thereafter you damn near have to discharge the battery to clear out the excess gas. It's been doing this since I bought it in 2006. I love Hondas!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:30 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
A friend of mine who is in charge of all the machinery at a large golf course swears by Stabil and that is what they run through all their equipment as winter sets in. On the other hand, another guy I know said they had nothing but trouble when using Stabil in jetskis as they sat on the lot or over winter. He is now using Seafoam.

I'd drain the tank, remove the fuel bowl and spray some Gumout through the carb. Replace the sparkplug, refuel and try again.
I have used Stabil for decades in my 4 cycle lawn and garden equipment and have never had any kind of issues at all. Everything starts in the spring without issues. I have an 11 year old 25hp riding garden tractor/mower, snowplower, tiller 11 years old, an edger, a walk behind mower and several other yard toys. Stabil works. I use a 2 cycle oil with stabil already in it for my 2 cycle trimmers, hedge trimmers, chain saw, etc. They always start.

Back to the Onan gennys I posted....I think I will get a Honda.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:04 PM   #14
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Fyi,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cummins.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	48660  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Dunlap , Illinois
Onan Generators

I always hate to see a product slammed unfairly based on unfounded assumptions. Onan is an old established generator manufacturer based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. They have been building generators for over 70 years that I know about, long before Honda ever built generators. They were bought by Cummins Engine Company several years ago so they could have a generator line. I have a current production Onan 4 KW Microquiet generator. It has performed flawlessy for 3 years. It will carry my airconditioner AND my microwave both at the same time and at higher elevations in the west, where many generator engines fall off on horsepower and can't carry the load. I use Stabil in my fuel for all of my small gasoline engines. None are hard to start.

The Onan rocker start switch has 2 positions, one way runs the electric fuel pump only, to fill the carburetor. If the engine has not been run for a long time the carburetor will be empty and if you didn't prime it, it will have to crank until it fills up before the engine will start. No engine runs well on stale fuel.

If a generator set is made in China, the law says it has to so labeled. My generator name plate clearly states, "Made in the USA." We all know what the trend is today to manufacturing in China. If you stick with an old established name like Onan, their quality control will give you good product no matter where it is made. What's even more important is their availabity of service and parts all over the US and Canada for warranty and repairs.

Further the Microquiet will analyze faults in operation and display fault codes to aid in diagnosis.

Recently, at a rally where we had no commercial power we compared the noise level of my Onan to several Honda's. We thought that a pair of EU2000's in parallel at load were slightly noisier to our ears than my Onan. Many people want to compare at no load where the Honda idles and the Onan runs at 60 hz. Not the place to compare. By the way, my governor is so closely regulated that it has less than 1/2 Hz difference between no load and full load. My Onan generates a pure AC sine wave directly out of the generator like the big machines, instead of a "manufactured" one out of a DC machine.

Saddletramp
Saddletramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:53 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Dunlap , Illinois
Onan Generators

I always hate to see a product slammed unfairly based on unfounded assumptions. Onan is an old established generator manufacturer based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. They have been building generators for over 70 years that I know about, long before Honda ever built generators. They were bought by Cummins Engine Company several years ago so they could have a generator line. I have a current production Onan 4 KW Microquiet generator. It has performed flawlessy for 3 years. It will carry my airconditioner AND my microwave both at the same time and at higher elevations in the west, where many generator engines fall off on horsepower and can't carry the load. I use Stabil in my fuel for all of my small gasoline engines. None are hard to start.

The Onan rocker start switch has 2 positions, one way runs the electric fuel pump only, to fill the carburetor. If the engine has not been run for a long time the carburetor will be empty and if you didn't prime it, it will have to crank until it fills up before the engine will start. No engine runs well on stale fuel.

If a generator set is made in China, the law says it has to so labeled. My generator name plate clearly states, "Made in the USA." We all know what the trend is today to manufacturing in China. If you stick with an old established name like Onan, their quality control will give you good product no matter where it is made. What's even more important is their availabity of service and parts all over the US and Canada for warranty and repairs.

Further the Microquiet will analyze faults in operation and display fault codes to aid in diagnosis.

Recently, at a rally where we had no commercial power we compared the noise level of my Onan to several Honda's. We thought that a pair of EU2000's in parallel at load were slightly noisier to our ears than my Onan. Many people want to compare at no load where the Honda idles and the Onan runs at 60 hz. Not the place to compare. By the way, my governor is so closely regulated that it has less than 1/2 Hz difference between no load and full load. My Onan generates a pure AC sine wave directly out of the generator like the big machines, instead of a "manufactured" one out of a DC machine.

Saddletramp
Saddletramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
ST,

Please note that the gens being discssed here are NOT the RV line that Onan makes in the US. These products are well built and have agreat reputation in the RV industry. That's why they are found on a majority of RV's in gas, LP and diesel configurations. I had a 7500 Quiet Diesel gen from Onan in my Monaco Dynasty and in ran perfectly with regular service and never let me down!

The new 'cheap' household models are not built in the US and as such, their quality and longevity of service are being questioned. These are the topic of discussion.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:50 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
It tickles me a little when I hear about products made in China. I try to buy as many american made products I can and I definitely stay away from Wal-Mart. If we look around our homes and the clothes we wear, we can see why the US economy is going to hell. We need to reject all chinese manufactured goods, not just generators.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:50 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfred
It tickles me a little when I hear about products made in China. I try to buy as many american made products I can and I definitely stay away from Wal-Mart. If we look around our homes and the clothes we wear, we can see why the US economy is going to hell. We need to reject all chinese manufactured goods, not just generators.
OK..here goes...I about sulutely refuse to shop at WalMart..not just because they are the biggist contributor to Chinese slave lobor...(so are a lot of companys)...but because when Sam was alive He insisted on a great big sign on His stores that read ...BUY AMERICAN....Do any of you remember this? He was shovelin china stuff in the back door an taggin it American...WE have sort memories. OMG....another hijacked thread.

If I threw out all the NON us clothes in my closet....I would be nekked....I HATE IT.