Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Briggs and Stratton 3,000 generator

Great unit. Does anyone know where I can get a cover? Guess B & S doesn't sell them.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Great unit. Does anyone know where I can get a cover? Guess B & S doesn't sell them.
I have one too, was thinking of returning it. Seems a little loud. Has anyone compared to a Honda 3000 inverter? Do I just have buyers' remorse?
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:26 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
If all you're looking for is something to keep the rain off your generator, there's a product called "GenTent" (http://www.gentent.com/) that should do the trick without blocking airflow.

If you're looking for an enclosure (not a cover) to reduce noise levels, there isn't one specifically for the P3000 PowerSmart inverter generator; it's already enclosed in its own shell. Aftermarket noise reduction enclosures (like the ZombieBox: http://www.zombie-box.com/) are usually boxy and bulky, but disassemble for transport.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Has anyone compared to a Honda 3000 inverter?
The Honda 3000 is even quieter than the Honda 2000. It's just heavy....

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:03 AM   #5
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I have one too, was thinking of returning it. Seems a little loud. Has anyone compared to a Honda 3000 inverter? Do I just have buyers' remorse?

I contacted B&S customer service to ask for decibel measurements for their generators so I could compare to the official Honda and Yamaha numbers. They replied that they do not publish DB measurements for their generators.

Therefore, I suspect they are louder than the Honda / Yamaha units and that noise levels are not a priority for them.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Monona , Wisconsin
Disable Measurements

There is a free app for your smart phone that measures disables.
gdanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The op only asked about a cover, not a review of his generator.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdanderson View Post
There is a free app for your smart phone that measures disables.
I have one of those apps. Accuracy is questionable because the app generally will not tell you which octave has the peak decibels (decibels for generators are measured in eight octaves coinciding with the full normal range of human hearing using a weighted average).

Even with two generators that read the same number of decibels on the app, one generator may seem louder than the other because its peak octave is closer to your most sensitive octave for hearing, so the decibel number does not tell the whole tale.

The best measure is actually the human voice. If you can talk to another person at arm's length— without raising your voice— at a distance of ten feet or more from the portable generator, the generator is quiet. If you have to raise your voice under those conditions, it's not.

But Rocinante is correct that B&S is not terribly concerned with noise levels. Their main market for generators is the construction industry, where workers are bound by OSHA regulations and wear earplugs if the noise level is too high. Yamaha and Honda generally sell to the recreational market where mandatory hearing protection isn't mandatory, so they have more of a vested interest in producing a quiet product.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Well, since he said he likes it I figured he may have compared it to a Honda. I can't return mine since I already put gas in it, so I'll take it camping and see. Not too many reviews on this unit on this forum; I searched.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:24 PM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
This is true, and I did offer up a couple of sources for aftermarket covers back in Post #3.

But it's also true that threads on the AirForums tend to outlast the original question, and reviews of the B&S generator can be of benefit to future readers who are doing a keyword search for info. In my opinion, generator reviews and comparisons are pertinent, as long as the original purpose of the thread is not lost altogether and as long as the comparisons at least include the B&S 3kW.

A reminder to get back on topic is never amiss, though, and thanks for that— despite the vaguely critical tone of your post. Surely I can't be the only one with a cover/enclosure to suggest…
Old 08-23-2016, 04:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
My opinion, and only mine, is that the forums drift to the point the original question is seldom answered properly. Doesn't really matter, it's all interesting. And yes you answered the question as you usually do.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:48 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
This is true, and I did offer up a couple of sources for aftermarket covers back in Post #3.

But it's also true that threads on the AirForums tend to outlast the original question, and reviews of the B&S generator can be of benefit to future readers who are doing a keyword search for info. In my opinion, generator reviews and comparisons are pertinent, as long as the original purpose of the thread is not lost altogether and as long as the comparisons at least include the B&S 3kW.

A reminder to get back on topic is never amiss, though, and thanks for that— despite the vaguely critical tone of your post. Surely I can't be the only one with a cover/enclosure to suggest…
Your reply was actually quite helpful. And the original post actually starts out with a rating of the unit by the owner so my question is also appropriate.

By the way, a small Weber barbecue cover, from Home Depot, fits the unit quite nicely. Use the measurements of the box the unit came in as a rough guide and it will fit, although a little loose.