Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2018, 07:35 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Elgin , Texas
Easy start ID/location

I am new to AS life and as I described in an earlier post am having AC/genny overload symptoms similar to this thread. The onset was sudden after performing well through some very hot days even on Eco. Now it seems that unless I start cooling in the AM (under 90 degrees) the AC will continue to trip the Honda which is only 3 months old.

The compressor seems to start immediately and quietly but if I turn the thermostat higher shuts down very hard with a sudden thump.

How can I tell if a previous owner has installed a easy start?

2001 Bambi 19’ 11k Penguin with 2 manual knobs, Honda EU2000i. Good fuel, new plug, clean AF.
4seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:45 AM   #62
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4seasons View Post
How can I tell if a previous owner has installed a easy start?
Hi 4 seasons, this is a tough one to answer. You could perform a test to see if the EasyStart's short-cycle prevention timer is having any effect, but that is too complicated and confusing for me to explain to you. I would simply remove the cover of the A/C on the roof, and your answer will be readily apparent.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
TGIF. This story is not over. I've been looking forward to this weekend as Micro-Air has so generously donated to the cause. To help us through the summer with A/C on a single healthy 2000 watt class generator, as enabled by an EasyStart.

Matteo has graciously armed me with this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	hondacarb.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	317590

To be continued...
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:59 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
So I've dug in. Since I have 2 eu2000i's, both with similar symptoms, I'm going to do 2 concurrent experiments.

One is receiving a new aftermarket carb (right is new).

Name:	newcarb.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	317600

Second one will receive a more thorough carb cleaning, with some choice carb cleaning tools sourced from amazon.

Name:	carbjet.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	317599

At least one major orifice was found to have much more varnish than I expected. The carb tool making all the difference here. You can see the amount of varnish left on the ridges after passing the tool through the brass jet. The varnish is tuff stuff also, not easily coming off. Giving it a good soak tonight and some more cleaning in the morning.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:38 AM   #65
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Awaiting success somehow, looking interesting.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:50 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
So I've dug in. Since I have 2 eu2000i's, both with similar symptoms, I'm going to do 2 concurrent experiments.

One is receiving a new aftermarket carb (right is new).

Attachment 317600

Second one will receive a more thorough carb cleaning, with some choice carb cleaning tools sourced from amazon.

Attachment 317599

At least one major orifice was found to have much more varnish than I expected. The carb tool making all the difference here. You can see the amount of varnish left on the ridges after passing the tool through the brass jet. The varnish is tuff stuff also, not easily coming off. Giving it a good soak tonight and some more cleaning in the morning.

As an FYI for build-up in the carb.

I have used for many years SeaFoam in boats and my motorcycles when they sit for more than a month. I then will run a few tanks worth in my cars every now and then to clean the fuel system.

It keeps the internals very clean and prevents condensation in the tank (keep it full of course when stored).

After 12 years of use, I have yet to have an inboard, outboard, motorcycle, mower or car fail to start on FIRST crank. Even after a 4-5 month Dakota Winter rest @ -25f temps !

Sta-Bil never could do that for me.

FWIW hope it helps. Good luck on your carb refit.

Dan
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:35 PM   #67
1 Rivet Member

It may not be your problem but...

I bought a brand new 2000 watts Honda 3-4 years ago. The first 4-5 hours it ran great, but after started to surge...

I bought the gen in US, but went back home in Canada, and us gen are not covered in Canada...

I tried a lot of thing to make it run great, but nothing worked. I even installed a brand new carburator! Not better! Only way to stop the surging was to close a little bit the choke...

While surfing on YouTube for Honda troubleshooting video I found one about the fuel filter of my gen. The fuel filter is in-line with the fuel line.

I followed the video to remove the filter, cleaned it and it worked!!
Den the Lap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:24 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Den the Lap, your post #67 is a good piece of information to know. Now if I can just remember it when I need it...

Also this thread in its entirety has been very informative.

I used to have a 1948 Ford 8n tractor. Using Stabil and after setting all winter, every spring I would have to rebuild the carburetor. And never, not even one time, would my rebuilt carburetor work. Some years I would take it apart and reassemble 2 or 3 times. Then, invariably, head held low, I would trudge down to my local tractor mechanic and exchange the carb for a new one. Finally after ten years of this routine I started to use Sea Foam. Never had to rebuild the carb after that.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:20 AM   #69
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I’ve heard the same things about Sea Foam. Putting it in everything now. No issues.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote