Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
replacing 12v fixture with LED fixture

I read through a good portion of the thread LED lighting retrofit for interior lights thread but didn't see anything that would help in my case ....

While at IKEA last weekend, I picked up a couple things that I hoped I might use to replace the shelf/light that is positioned on the aft wall of the curbside gaucho. I found a small shelf and this LED bookcase lighting fixture:
IKEA | Integrated lighting | Bookcase integrated lighting | LACK | Bookcase lighting

The two wires from the lamps plug into a separate 110 wall plug. This wall plug is shaped similarly to a regular plug, but larger. I assume it houses some some special devices (constant current) to control the LEDs. Now that I look at it and do some *thinkin*, I'm totally stumped on how I can use these to replace the OEM lighting above the bed/gaucho.

Any ideas on how I can make this work with the OEM 12V wiring?

I just found this pic on the web - looks a lot like the power supply plug that mine has (this is from another line of LEDs sold by IKEA, Jansjo):

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The large wall plug is probably some sort of transformer that serves to reduce voltage from 110 to some lower number. This is the voltage that these lights actually operate at. This could possibly be 12 volts, in which case you can simply wire it in direct to you trailer's 12 volt system. If it is other than 12 volt, you will have to find a transformer to provide the proper voltage.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
The plug appears to be a Western European configuration from best I can tell. This would be consistent with the 220-240 input voltage shown on the plug in the first photograph.

Not sure the output numbers of DC600 mA at 2.5 to 3.5V would allow a plug and play but perhaps some our elec-trick-cal experts can offer some encouraging words of wisdom.

Looking to the LED future,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v