Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Nashville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to harestream
Thumbs up Light or light cover over the door.. help please!

This is the light I have above my door on my '72 Tradewind. I've been looking at some photos on the forums of other 70's airstreams and it looks as if there was a cover that went over the light (somewhat resembling a vent)? This light is currently not working for me. I should also mention there is a round switch below this plastic light plate cover which you would turn the light on and off?

On the inside wall next to the door I have a wall switch, and I am unsure what this goes to (this too is currently not working). (why would the light have it's on radial on/off if there is an interior wall switch?) There is another switch located closer to the master control panel (towords the front) which turns on the exterior radial light. This is why I thought this other switch would obviously be for the above the door exterior light, maybe the previous owner did some sort of modification? Is this light supposed to be bright? Seems like the exterior radial one closer the front is used for general area lighting? Is a vent supposed to be there to lessen the lighting and only light the area to "watch your step"?

But what should I do about the over the door light to bring it back to it's orginal state? I looked on Vintage Trailer Supply but they'd didn't have anything. Any and all help and or clarification is appeciated. THANKS!

-Kelly
Old 09-13-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Kelly,
that is a replacement light that someone stuck up there for some reason. I would contact someone like www.outofdoorsmart.com and see if they have an orginal replacement. The switch inside the door should control the door light.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:08 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

I replaced my light assembly that was badly corroded with a submersible boat trailer lamp assembly. I had to do a little trimming to get it to fit. Be careful with the electrical hookup to this lamp. If I recall correctly the lamp is fed hot and has its ground switched by the small white switch located to the right of the door. If you're going to replace the entire assembly to factory, I suggest contacting South Jersey RV for an old lamp housing "vent" as you described, and I would now use a high-power LED assembly. It's vibration-proof, and produces little if no heat. Both a problem with the original. Also, this area is a source of leaks above the door!
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Not an Airstream light fixture...

Another vote for likelihood that a prior owner installed a plastic fixture from RV parts store.. Some Airstreams had no light over the door, but others had rounded metal shield (looks kind of like business end of dustpan..) and flat lens on lower opening covering bulb and socket. Switch inside operated the light. Sorry, I don't have picture of ours...

Options include finding assembly from Airstream dealer or salvage (try Inland RV?) or replacing plastic unit with integral rotary switch with newer one, if they still exist.. That was same "porch light" we had on late '80's Nomad trailer...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
It is very probable that this unit came from the factory without that exterior stair light . The one in your pic is non original. The reason I say this is because you said you only have one switch inside the door . My '76 has two side by side . One of these turns on the stair light over the door and the other turns on the interior light over the sink . The switch that isn't working is probably suppose to turn on one of the interior overhead lights . Maybe someone with a '72 can verify this .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
here's a pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NS 2006 001.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	25894  
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Harestream

The entrance door light fixtire and socket is available from some dealers that stock parts.

You will also need a lens for that cover.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #8
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Kelly, the one on my '73 looks like Tiki's. You might also try ColawsRV. I bought a couple of hard to get pieces off an early '70's model they have on the lot. They are an RV "junkyard" in Carthage, Mo. Try Colawsrvsalvage.com. There is another "junkyard" in Colorado, but I can't recall the name right now. Don't forget to compare prices, sometimes the junkyard guys aren't cheap. Sometimes they are the only place to find the item you need.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:26 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Kelly, the one on my '73 looks like Tiki's. You might also try ColawsRV. I bought a couple of hard to get pieces off an early '70's model they have on the lot. They are an RV "junkyard" in Carthage, Mo. Try Colawsrvsalvage.com. There is another "junkyard" in Colorado, but I can't recall the name right now. Don't forget to compare prices, sometimes the junkyard guys aren't cheap. Sometimes they are the only place to find the item you need.

Jim
Jim,
Cherokee RV parts out near Denver, CO

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 09-13-2006, 11:40 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Nashville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to harestream
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the help every one. I still feel at a loss as to what I should do about this. I'll keep you all posted. In the meantime if anybody has any other advice, I'll kindly listen.

-Kelly
Old 08-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Are there any new suggestions?

I know this is an old thread but since I think Kelly and Bill are in Europe I figured they would not mind if I highjacked it.

Anyway, I also need the porch fixture for my 1970. Anybody have any new suggestions? Mine is missing as you can see.

Also, does anyone know what that roller thing on the door is for?

Name:	IMG_1346b.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	66395
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhord View Post
I know this is an old thread but since I think Kelly and Bill are in Europe I figured they would not mind if I highjacked it.

Anyway, I also need the porch fixture for my 1970. Anybody have any new suggestions? Mine is missing as you can see.

Also, does anyone know what that roller thing on the door is for?

Attachment 66395
We have the polished cover, the correct lens, the new style socket and bulb.

The roller on the door was to protect an awning when it was extended, instead of the door edge cutting into the fabric.

Obviously, the awning is gone.

Andy
Old 08-27-2008, 11:06 AM   #13
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Other than possibly fabricating something or finding something in a marine catalog you are going to have fun finding a light fixture.

The roller is to keep the door from dragging on the awning.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 08-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I had the factory install one when my 07 was being built, so parts are still available.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010003_305511.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	66397  
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
I was lucky enough to find a alum cover on a wrecked AS but the plastic and the bulb assembly were toast. I'll make another socket and put her back on. Maybe some of the dealers will be able to help.
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeterman View Post
I was lucky enough to find a alum cover on a wrecked AS but the plastic and the bulb assembly were toast. I'll make another socket and put her back on. Maybe some of the dealers will be able to help.
These are the parts for the entrance door light, the cover, lens, socket and bulb.

A new style socket and bulb are now used.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	doorlight.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	66398  
Old 08-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Other than possibly fabricating something or finding something in a marine catalog you are going to have fun finding a light fixture.

The roller is to keep the door from dragging on the awning.

Aaron
Hmmm...my parts department must not have had the current information the last time I asked for one

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 08-27-2008, 04:27 PM   #18
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Hey Vern, you can see what I did here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f226...-15132-27.html beginning at post number 366. I already had the cover, so I took one of the LED's and attached it to the cover and wired it into the existing wiring from inside the camper. Then made a Plexiglas (or was it Lexan?) lens. Looks cool at night. Just another idea.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:46 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Thank you!

Thanks to everyone for their input. Now I have something to work with.
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:51 AM   #20
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
A roller thing came with my awning, but I never installed it. I don't like the look of it, so we are careful when we open the door. If the awning is up all the way, no problem. I would toss the roller and put a couple of Olympic rivets in the holes.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote