Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Fort Worth , Texas
Interior Light 2004 Bambi

Can't get the vanity and shower/throne lights to work on a newly acquired Airstream. Just started trouble shooting with bulb and fuse check. Will double check everything on my first adventure. All other lights and fans seem to be working. Any suggestions? Novice here at best.
CowtwnSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums. The switch for the vanity and toilet light are on the outer wall, directly under the medicine cabinet. Try flipping that on and off a couple of times to see if you might have a little corrosion on the contacts.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Terry is correct. That light switch under the vanity cabinet controls the bathroom light. It must be in the "on" ... then you can turn the light on and off at the light fixture in the bathroom. The unfortunate thing is that the lights for the vanity area also come on. (At least that's the case in our Bambi.) We don't understand why Airstream wired the bathroom light this way because if you make night-time trip you either wake up your mate or use a flashlight.

I rewired the light in the bathroom. Here's what I did: I cut the hot lead (the black wire in our rig) to the light leaving enough on the light side of the cut to manipulate the wire and tied off the incoming lead wire and tucked it away. Then I added a length of wire to the lead going to the light, fished the added wire through the roof the short distance to the fan (which has it's own switch) and spiced it into the lead wire to the switch which is always hot. This give you a hot lead to the light and allows you to turn the light off and on at the light fixture independently of the other lights for the vanity area. (Be sure you tie the new wire to the lead before the fan motor switch and not after the fan motor switch or you'll have to have the fan on to turn the light on...and that wouldn't be much better than the original situation.)
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks for the quick help folks. Found the switch. Now I'm off to my first adventure.
CowtwnSilver is offline   Reply With Quote