Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2017, 09:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
San Luis Obispo , California
All 12V turns off

While dry camping for 2 nights this weekend, on both nights when we came into the trailer and turned on several lights, after several minutes, everything shut off including the water pump. After a minute or two, everything came back on and it didn't happen again until the next night. The ceiling lights are all Thin lite flourescents and 3 of them were on. I also turned on the original 3 bulb light in the bathroom. Are the 3 black squares in the attached photo some kind of circuit breaker that resets like a overload switch? If yes, are they available anywhere? All the wiring is original as far as I know. I would appreciate any help in this to save me time searching for the problem. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trlr wiring.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	285008  
slofoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Yes those look like 12v automatic reset circuit breakers. You can find them on Amazon or elsewhere. You'll need to know the amperage rating of the original breaker to replace it with an identical one (e.g. 15A). Don't increase the amperage or you could cause an electrical fire.

What you described sounds like proper function of an auto reset circuit breaker, so I wonder if you need to identify and address the cause of the overload rather than replace a properly functioning breaker.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
San Luis Obispo , California
12v lights off

Thank for confirming my suspicions. I did find a loose connection in one of the lights and cleaned up all the connections around the breakers. Hope this does the trick. Thx again!
slofoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
If you're going to be doing much boondocking, I highly recommend changing the incandescent bulbs in your older fixtures for LED bulbs with the same base. It's good both to reduce battery consumption and to reduce the heat buildup in those old fixtures, and you could probably have every light in the trailer on and those old auto-reset breakers would never notice the load.

Be sure to get "warm white" LED bulbs unless you really like the blue-white fluorescent-style color temperature.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
As mentioned those are auto resetting circuit breakers, not a very good idea since as mentioned they only temporarily protect. It's a pretty simple project for later to replace them with a small fuse panel for better protection.
Let us know if the problem comes back, you may have a bad ballast in a fluorescent light as a possibility. See if you can determine which circuit is causing the problem. The wires are color coded so if you notice all the ones that go out are on the x color circuit then you can start narrowing things down.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
I agree with DKB_SATX
LED is the only way to go.
Try out led4rv.com
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:41 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
There are manual resetable circuit breakers as opposed to automatic resetting circuit breakers the same physical size. I brought mine from the Marine people.
Needless to say if there is a issue and its cycling all the time then...well.

Rus
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v