Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2015, 06:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
After 2 yrs full-timing we are still so ignorant!

I am totally frustrated. Never had a trailer before 2 yrs ago and still feel like I know so little. Getting the AS for newbies book.

Our television..can it be plugged in to the 12 v socket and how? We are boondocking once again and others have television like for Survivor. I just need it for special occasions.

Help!
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:36 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
if it is a 12vdc model, yes. Our 'new' one has a 14VDC input... so, if you get a cigarette connection with proper plug and polarity, it should work.

Or, you could cut your existing wire if Tele has external 'power supply' and make a quick disconnect. That way you can choose which powers the Tele.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Just an Orion inexpensive model.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Just get one of the little cigarette lighter shaped inverters. They're not great but are probably good enough for what you're doing. Amazon, truck stops, home centers, all have them.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Look for the power cord on the TV.

If it connects from the TV directly to a standard wall outlet, with no "black box" in the middle, then no, it cannot be directly connected to the 12 volt system. In this case, the simplest solution would be to purchase s small INVERTER. (Not converter). The inverter plugs into the 12 volt and makes 120 volt power. This would allow for a little TV, but it takes a lot of battery power to make 120 volts.

If the TV has a power cord with a box, then there is a chance it can run directly from the battery. Look at the box for the output voltage. If it is 12 volts, then take it to a radio shack and purchase a cigarette lighter cord with a connector that matches the TV and you are all set.

Radio Shack should have a small inverter, too. If you have to go that route. something on the order of 300-500 watts should do.

Regards

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Don't feel alone it's amazing how people who've Airstreamed for years don't know some of the basics. Just a few weeks ago there was a thread where a new person didn't understand how/when to use the bathroom vents. An experienced person said "you have to push up on the handle" then turn the fan on whenever you shower or the humidity could damage the Airstream.

And another person who'd had his Airstream for a year or more responded - holy cow, I always turned it on and never understood why it didn't do a very good job! That's why I love the Fantastic Fans so much.

You'll see lots of people who set up their ZipDee awnings in "variant configurations". The correct setup isn't very intuitive - but there is a great video on Youtube with a factory rep showing the correct setup procedure. Youtube is your friend and will save you from a lot of embarrassing mistakes.

Another suggestion: Rally - everyone shares tips and knowledge. There are sometimes many good alternatives to skinning the cat. I have two generators - a Honda 1000 which is the go to model - to charge the batteries (but darn the new EB has solar so I haven't needed that) run a big percolator, a CPAP for a fellow camper, or run a TV while boondocking. It won't push the air conditioner or the fridge, but if I decide I must cook something on my induction burner - I can just plug it in. (Sometimes getting out the Dutch oven is more work than it's worth.)

Paula
Old 04-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thanks that kinda perked me up. Yes we need to rally. Airstream forums has saved our lives. Oh the refrigerator smells like ammonia? Hey shut that off immediately,,it has died. Yep, that was us.

I need to write a little documentary of us. Funny now! Hang in there with us..we need you guys.