Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Toilet paper recommendations???

Greetings.

Has anyone used anything other than RV toilet paper?

The cost of buying the officially sanctioned single ply poop paper is getting to me, especially since I am now consuming more roughage, dr.s orders.

I know that the Camco(?) paper dissolves or breaks up well, but I'm wondering if any of you "regular" visitors to the forum use any commercially available (and less expensive) single ply or whatever that won't make my AS black tank unhappy.

Thanks.

CL
Old 09-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
WOMAN OF THE FUTURE

1978 28' Argosy 28
Chicago , Illinois
AHAHAHAHAHA. This is great. I hope this becomes a hot thread.

Hi from Chicago! What neighborhood are you in?

EDIT 10:22AM: N/M, I see from your website you are in Logan Square. I'm in Pilsen. Great to see you.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev View Post
... RV toilet paper?...
the 2 most recent threads...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...per-62914.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f446...lts-56136.html

now scroll to the bottom of this roll and tear off a few sheets of these 4 wiping...

Click image for larger version

Name:	da TP theads.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	111000

going back to 2002,

the earliest versions are still the funniest,

2 a ply.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
CL,
I'm interested in the replies you get here too.
I've tried Scott tissue but it doesn't break down fast enough. We get the RV TP at Walmart.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I have NEVER used official RV toilet paper and have been traveling by RV for over 40 years. Any decent paper (meaning it is not sandpaper) will break up on its own. The only potential problem is if you park for weeks at a time with hookups and leave the valve open. The tank should be allowed to fill so the swirling of the contents keeps stuff from building up..
The sloshing when travelling do the job on the paper.
I do know some one who used cheap paper towels. They don't break up so well
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
I've NEVER used the RV toliot paper with my 2002 ASCL, and I've NEVER had a problem evacuating the black water tank. I use the following proceedure when dumping:

When I dump the black tank I always have the gray water tank full.

When the black tank has drained I leave the valve open and lift the drain hose ABOVE the tank level and open the grey valve. This allows the grey water to back-flush into the black tank via the common manifold. I back flush for about 5 to 10 seconds, close the grey valve and lower the hose so the back-flush black water can drain.

I repeat the proceedure about 3 to 4 times, then close the black valve and open the grey valve and let the remaining grey water drain and clear the hose.

As long as the grey tank has a higher level of water than the black tank the grey tank won't be comingled with the black tank.

Again, I've NEVER had any problem using regular toliot paper.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Banning , California
Tough TP

We use the Sewer Solution and any type TP, including 2X ply is no problem ! Try it, You'll like it, guaranteed, absolutely trouble free .
Chipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Wink A room with a view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipster View Post
We use the Sewer Solution and any type TP, including 2X ply is no problem ! Try it, You'll like it, guaranteed, absolutely trouble free .

We also use the sewer solution. One benefit is that it is transparent. This allows you to see what is being drained, if you are into that sort of thing.

Before we left on our last trip, I picked up a few rolls of the RV TP at camping world, because they had a bunch right by the checkout stand. We usually use regular single ply TP from super market.

The first time I emptied the holding tank, I was amazed. I am used to seeing large chunks of TP come out. This time all the fragments of TP were 1/4" and less specks. Since I once had a problem with a glob of TP preventing the holding tank valve from closing completely, I decided no more grocery store TP. I also was reminded that we had corn for dinner.

Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
@font-face { font-family: "American Typewriter"; }@font-face { font-family: "Verdana"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 16pt; font-family: "American Typewriter"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } Crazy,

Don’t waste your money on expensive RV paper.

Single ply paper is hard to find these days so buy the cheapest 2 ply the supermarket sells. Roll off your regular amount each time but SEPARATE the two plies into one using your thumbs and fingers.

The resulting ball of tissue will be softer on you, your wallet and your holding tank.

Sergei

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...tml#post628818

SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Lightbulb The green (or perhaps brown) solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe;896936

[FONT=Verdana
Crazy,[/FONT]

Don’t waste your money on expensive RV paper.

Single ply paper is hard to find these days so buy the cheapest 2 ply the supermarket sells. Roll off your regular amount each time but SEPARATE the two plies into one using your thumbs and fingers.

The resulting ball of tissue will be softer on you, your wallet and your holding tank.

Sergei

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...tml#post628818

If you are going to all that trouble tearing up the toilet paper, you might as well use the military field procedure.

1. Take a single sheet of TP and fold it twice to make a smaller square

2. Tear off the corner that has no edges adjacent to it

3. Unfold the paper

4. You now have a square with a hole in the middle.

5. Place a finger through the hole and proceed to wipe.

6. Fold the still clean square with hole in center, and save for next use.

7. Use the piece previously torn off to clean you finger nail.

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
If you are going to all that trouble tearing up the toilet paper, you might as well use the military field procedure.

1. Take a single sheet of TP and fold it twice to make a smaller square

2. Tear off the corner that has no edges adjacent to it

3. Unfold the paper

4. You now have a square with a hole in the middle.

5. Place a finger through the hole and proceed to wipe.

6. Fold the still clean square with hole in center, and save for next use.

7. Use the piece previously torn off to clean you finger nail.

Regards,

Ken
Boy does that bring back unfond memories.

RV toilet paper along with tank cleaners and deodorizers are great American Myths promoted by those who no longer found it profitable to sell snake oil.

I have waited in line behind a "Believer" that takes 20+ minutes to dump what with the buckets of water carried into the trailer an dumped in the toilet, the sanitizer application, and the washing of the dump hose.

Think of it a yeast and leave a little to get things started the next time.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #12
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Thank you all for your thorough, deep reaching, and humorous replies.

I am going to go with advice here. And we haven't used chemicals in the black tank in years and have not only found that it matters not one bit, but also is more comforting knowing that we contribute less chemical cr+p to the environment.

My tushie and I thank you.

Crazy
Old 09-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
We have had our AS for 3 seasons now and have NEVER bought RV TP. The wife buys ANGEL SOFT and it works just fine. If the TP you use can pass the sheet test,you are good. 1 sheet in a glass of water,let stand till saturated. SHAKE WELL. if that sheet breaks up in small pieces you will have no problems. The problems that you run into with expensive TP is WET STRENGTH. GOOD FOR Sewers but NOT GOOD for SEPTIC TANKS. Look for SUITABLE FOR SEPTIC TANKS on the label.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Boulder City , Nevada
why flush your paper?

While traveling in Baja Ca, we became accustomed to their waste-paper bags. Their marginal septic systems can't seem to handle paper, so all the paper goes in a paper bag (which I would figure is collected daily.) We use this practice in our AS......no problems of paper-mache mounds when we dump.(yup, ALL the paper or wipes) There's no paper in the system. It helps extend our "range" between dumps, too. When really booning it and showers are scarce, we use baby-wipes. No flush, just into a bag and disposed of frequently. Maybe not for everyone, but works for us
zigzag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Don't trust it just cuz it says 'safe for septic systems.' I suspect one of 2airishuman's threads above will have the best answer ever (do I have to say "IMO"?) -- Scott one-ply disintegrates wonderfully. Kudos to thecatsandi for steering me to that. Couldn't ask for more from the RV stuff.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #16
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
I like to think that AS,s are more Eco conscious than SOB owners.

With that, zigzag has interesting method-ology. As I digress, I still wonder if some time ago, passinger trains just emptied human waste while en route, on the tracks.

This is sad cause I still like hiking along train tracks.

Thanksgiving cheer to all.

cL