Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Water on the Water Heater

So I dragged my 2008 Classic 25fb AS out of storage yesterday and filled up the water tank. Damn Micropulse is reading full with a partially filled water tank but that is another problem. Connected the water hose and opened the hot water input and output values. I generally open the pressure relieve valve when filling the tank and when water starts to come out I close it.

So after I purged all the air out of all the faucets and checked for leaks I went to try the hot water heater. Flipped the gas switch. Nothing. Usually I can hear the water heater gas valve open and it will attempt to light.

So back outside and I pulled all the connections off and reseated them. Towel dried any parts that water got on. Still no go. I've had this happen once before and it appears if I get any water on the foam that covers the thermostat sensors behind the foam gasket it will not initiate gas start up. So I went back into the house and had some dinner and an hour or so later went out to try it and flip the switch and heard the valve open and the ignitor trying to light the water heater. Since there was still air in the propane line to the water heater it didn't light up on first cycle.

The youTube video shows what is behind the foam gasket

Anyone else have issues like this if you get water on the thermostat sensors?

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks for posting your research on this "fail to ignite" problem on the water heater. The You Tube video was informative. I have not experienced failure to ignite due to water in the water heater compartment. I have had air in the propane lines which I have had to purge.

I now know more about the thermostats and their connectors. So I wonder if you sprayed the water heater with water, would the "fail to ignite" problem reappear? I would think driving rain or towing in rain would get that area plenty wet.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
After I had filled the tank and let water run out the pressure relief valve, which is over the thermostat connections nothing happened. It was like there was a bad connection. I got my air compressor out and blew off any residual water but still nothing. An hour or so later it started to work. This is the second time this has occurred. From now on I'm not going to let any water get on the foam gasket.

The door seems to shield this area pretty well from rain or road spray. I haven't had the issue after towing through rain.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote