Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Question Water heater wiring question

Just finished the physical install of a Suburban SW10DE water heater. It's in place, sealed on the outside and gas lines almost finished with new copper and fittings (the wind came up at 30+ mph and 29 degrees outside so I quit) but the inside is warm so thinking of tackling the electrical connections.

I don't have water lines run in the trailer yet so can't test the unit out yet but needed clarification I couldn't find in the instructions or with the search feature.

I understand the circuit board takes care of the brains, but when the water heater is running off gas will the light on the switch be on or does that only come on when the heater fails to light (says reset below it). I'm just worried about damaging the thing in the future by forgetting to turn the thing off either 110 or 12v when the water gets turned off.

Also for the 110 side of it, says to install with a switch or circuit breaker, I was kinda thinking both. Thinking of putting a lighted switch (as a reminder its on) up above the refrigerator where the 12v wh switch is going, but wasn't sure what amp breaker I should use, would 15 amp suffice?

thanks for the help.

Scott
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
What is the 120v part rated at?
Old 01-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons
Just finished the physical install of a Suburban SW10DE water heater. It's in place, sealed on the outside and gas lines almost finished with new copper and fittings (the wind came up at 30+ mph and 29 degrees outside so I quit) but the inside is warm so thinking of tackling the electrical connections.

I don't have water lines run in the trailer yet so can't test the unit out yet but needed clarification I couldn't find in the instructions or with the search feature.

I understand the circuit board takes care of the brains, but when the water heater is running off gas will the light on the switch be on or does that only come on when the heater fails to light (says reset below it). I'm just worried about damaging the thing in the future by forgetting to turn the thing off either 110 or 12v when the water gets turned off.

Also for the 110 side of it, says to install with a switch or circuit breaker, I was kinda thinking both. Thinking of putting a lighted switch (as a reminder its on) up above the refrigerator where the 12v wh switch is going, but wasn't sure what amp breaker I should use, would 15 amp suffice?

thanks for the help.

Scott
Be sure that your switch is rated for 20 amps/120VAC if you intend to use it as a shut-off for the AC side of the water heater.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
I found fine print in the wiring diagram that says total connected watts = 1440 - Amps = 12. Just wasn't sure if a 20 amp would be needed or if I could get by with 15. Doesn't say if there is a peak load or if that is the peak load.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons
I found fine print in the wiring diagram that says total connected watts = 1440 - Amps = 12. Just wasn't sure if a 20 amp would be needed or if I could get by with 15. Doesn't say if there is a peak load or if that is the peak load.
IMHO.................not enough 'head room' with a 15 amp switch! Better safe than sorry......epecially with electrics that could burn down the house.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
was thinking a heavy duty switch, wondering if I should use a 20 amp breaker too though or if 15 there is enough.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
The breaker should match the wiring. If you're using 12 guage wire, then 20amp breaker is ok. If using 14 gage wire then you should use a 15amp breaker.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:52 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
My water heater came with a remote switchpanel and warning lite. the lite only comes on if there is a problem and is reset by turning it off and back on. Suburbam Electric,DSI Gas heater.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote