Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2004, 05:57 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
Question hot water heater wiring

I want to install a combination LP/electric HWH. Will this typically run on 12v or 120V? I rewired the trailer for 120V like the original wiring, and added a 12v circuit for pump, light, and a couple of outlets. I put 120v wiring in for the HWH, like the original, but now I'm wondering if it needs to be wired for 12V instead. Guess I should've checked this before, but I can still change it if I need to.
Doug
Old 10-25-2004, 06:25 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Doug,

The 120 Volt connection is all you need. There is a switch on the backside of the heater to turn the element on and off. The only reason you would need the 12 VDC connection is if you are going DSI on the gas side. If it is a standing pilot then no 12 VDC wiring is necessary.

When I wired mine in the back of the heater was too tough to get to. I wired it to a dedicated breaker because the breaker panel had space and was easier to get to. You will want to be able to turn it off if you plan to run the AC and have the heater running. The load will be too much for a 30 amp shore power connection and the pedestal mounted breaker will pop.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:46 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
So, I did it right without knowing it! Nice relief. Thanks, Brett.

As for the a/c, there isn't any The dedicated breaker sounds like a good idea anyway. The old HWH had a switch in the kitchen cabinet, that I was planning on replacing/reusing. Would this provide the same function, if I could just turn it off when not in use?
Doug
Old 10-25-2004, 07:46 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser
The old HWH had a switch in the kitchen cabinet, that I was planning on replacing/reusing. Would this provide the same function, if I could just turn it off when not in use?
Be sure that the switch is rated for the load that the water heater will need. If it is underrated you could have a potential fire starter. If you are going to use a normal switch I would put it in a steel box, with a steel switch plate for safety sake. Sharing a circuit for the heater plus??? could cause you to overload that leg, so I would be aware of that when wiring.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote